Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Posted Images

Funny I heard that some thrill rides there allowed you to take off the mask. Im curious what ride did a operator get on speaker and make that announcement?

^We heard them do it twice on Tennessee Tornado and once on Thunderhead. Lightning Rod was kind of a tough one to keep your mask fully in place for obvious reasons, mine got pushed down a few times by the forces. However, they were holding every third train to clean, then they’d dispatch empty to dry it out. This was also the case at other coasters as well.

Thanks for the report. Did you ride the new Vekoma?

Yes, we did, and found it to be a great family ride! Had some good moments for the train to pick up speed and the turnaround was fun as well. This park’s commitment to being a well-rounded destination is great!

Lightning Rod was kind of a tough one to keep your mask fully in place for obvious reasons, mine got pushed down a few times by the forces.

While I won't be riding any rides with a mask on (or visiting any park requiring them) I certainly wouldn't worry about moving a mask around during the ride. If it moves, so be it. Further evidence of the futility of a mask on the ride.

The mask is already detracting from the ride, sure not going to mess it up even more fighting to keep a mask on just right.

Lightning Rod was kind of a tough one to keep your mask fully in place for obvious reasons, mine got pushed down a few times by the forces.

While I won't be riding any rides with a mask on (or visiting any park requiring them) I certainly wouldn't worry about moving a mask around during the ride. If it moves, so be it. Further evidence of the futility of a mask on the ride.

The mask is already detracting from the ride, sure not going to mess it up even more fighting to keep a mask on just right.

You should probably reserve your judgement on riding with a mask until you’ve actually experienced it. Personally, I forget that I’m even wearing the mask. The experience feels no different that normal.

I'm just glad Dollywood changed their view on pass holders! They've been treating us like royalty recently! Especially during the week/evening where it's super dead! Two times this week, they told my wife and I to go park in "A" when we pull in (for those unaware, "A" is handicap and close to the front door). They have also been using A some for preferred parking and with a gold pass, that's where they are sent us

Wife and I went two times this week around 4ish. One night the park actually closed at 6:00is because a storm ran nearly everyone out of the park. Even though they closed early they still let my wife and I eat at aunt Granny's (because they still had tons of food, the closing wasn't expected) so we didn't exit the park until close to 8:00 that night. The rides never opened back up after the storm and most shops stayed closed.

We stopped another day for funnel cakes and they had very low crowd's! Hit a few rides in a matter of a few minutes and grabbed our funnel cake and went home. LR was closed on this day so no riding it

As comparison, when they had the reservation system, evening reservations couldn't be made so wife and I would make them for noon and come in late. They always let us in but put up a fight everytime

I believe more parks, aside from Disney who has said they aren't making much from their pass holders, have realized their pass holders are their lifeline right now while the parks are dead. Wife and I have spent at least $80 this week at Dollywood, and while that doesn't sound like much, that's a lot just for two evenings out.

PSA: Soon, Dollywood is going to weekend only ops. Well Friday - Monday due to low crowd's. I believe this starts Monday. I don't believe Dollywood has gone to such a slim schedule in the past 15 years or so. If you had trips planned, please check their schedule!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

You should probably reserve your judgement on riding with a mask until you’ve actually experienced it. Personally, I forget that I’m even wearing the mask. The experience feels no different that normal.

When I ride a coaster my hands are free, not holding anything. Reaching to my face to adjust a mask is going to detract. Period. No question.

I don't even wear my dog tags on a coaster because I don't want to catch them when they fly out of my shirt. (Been there, done that)

I don't ride with my glasses either. Straps tight enough to hold them still are uncomfortable so I just don't wear them.

After visiting 9 parks over the past 2 months, I’ve had to adjust my mask on maybe 3 rides. It’s truly not a big deal. And anyone here who’s ridden a coaster with me will tell you that I don’t ride...conservatively. Lol

Between all my rides at CP and KI this season I have yet to adjust my mask once regardless of if it was a paper disposable mask or a cloth one. As long as it fits properly and you're wearing it correctly it's not a big deal.

You don't even have to wear a face covering on the coasters at Dollywood but yeah also this...

As long as it fits properly and you're wearing it correctly it's not a big deal.
Edited by coasterbill
You don't even have to wear a face covering on the coasters at Dollywood but yeah also this...

That's not what was being reported earlier in this thread.

Well if that's true then the people who were reporting that were wrong. I did a quick search but only found the opposite reported which matches my experience there in June and what they have on their website. I usually wore it on rides anyway even though you didn't have to but the ride op on Drop Line specifically told me that I didn't have to wear it when he saw it still on when he was checking seats. He then went on to tell me that he was in his 80's and "Never saw anything like this covid business before"... Once he told me his age I definitely was not about to take it off.

Edited by coasterbill

Will be taking my first ever Dollywood trip the last weekend in September, followed by 4 nights of hiking and exploring the surrounding area. Is it bad to experience my first time during COVID? Hoping it's a good experience!

^As I've told everyone going to 'new to them' parks this season, you just have to realize that you're not getting the real park experience and don't hold anything dumb against them. It's still possible to have a great day, might just be a little trickier.

I just visited for the first time today and I had a great time! I decided to splurge and get the Timesaver because it was a weekend, but overall the crowds were not bad at all. Very charming park. All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew. I will definitely have to head back post-pandemic, but as long as you’re visiting with slightly modified expectations this year, it’s still a worthwhile visit in my opinion.

Oh yes, I was definitely checking queue times online constantly to make sure it was open before making the drive down from Ohio. It did have a few brief periods of downtime yesterday but was operational for most of the day. I guess everyone who attended this weekend can consider themselves lucky.

All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew.

LR was back open? Reports on FB were it had been closed for a week+. Claims about track work.

Well if that's true then the people who were reporting that were wrong. I did a quick search but only found the opposite reported which matches my experience there in June and what they have on their website

Well as an example..

they'd actively make announcements such as, "We have cameras and if you take your mask off during the ride, we have to stop and clean your seat after, making everybody else wait longer".

then later mentions hearing that twice on TT and once on TH.

You know what, they've actually changed it. I looked when I posted that and they hadn't updated the website but they have now. There used to be a list of rides where they weren't required which was basically all thrill rides and water rides. Now it says that masks will be required on all rides, except water rides or waterpark attractions at Dollywood.

Either way, it's really not a big deal.

All major coasters except Tennessee Tornado were running 2 trains, which was nice. Staff were super friendly as well, especially the Lightning Rod crew.

LR was back open? Reports on FB were it had been closed for a week+. Claims about track work.

Opened again on Friday. Ran most of the weekend and is currently running today.

Opened again on Friday. Ran most of the weekend and is currently running today.

Cool. Didn't check over the weekend and there wasn't any discussion of LR being down for a while here.

At least they finally updated the info.

Emails previously said not on thrill rides but then people reported that not being the case. I didn't see an email with the policy change.

Doesn't matter to me either (not going with any mask requirements), but setting correct expectations is important.