TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

And not to mention, Dollywood is competing with the area. Their attendance is dropping but the areas attendance is going up. They've got to do stuff to pull folks in that are visiting the mountains and Pigeon Forge, but not coming to Dollywood. The island is rated higher on trip advisor in surveys when it comes to amusment parks and it's not even a true amusment park haha

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

Posted Images

Plenty of Dollywood billboards this year in Cincinnati. They spend some good money there for sure. They also have a bunch in Atlanta.

My guess is Time Traveler or a B&M will be announced mid summer to open 2021.

Edited by tndank

I was just looking at the 2018 AECOM and TEA Theme Index and Museum Index Report (https://www.aecom.com/theme-index/) and I keep rooting for Dollywood to break the top 20 in North America. Dollywood's Splash Country is in the top 20 water parks so with the added competition coming I bet they will do some additions. I do suppose you are correct about having to add thrills to grow. I think Dollywood has entertainment down great. I personally would like a high quality large Dark Ride or even Indoor Coaster before a Hyper coaster. As mentioned in other posts the differing options were on that survey. It will be fun to see what happens. SDC sure is doing an impressive 27 million dollar investment with Mystic Timber Falls and Dollywood did their impressive 37 million dollar investment so we can see they are definitely trying!!! Don't they usually take turns doing big investments between SDC and Dollywood? I agree with all the stuff coming to Pigeon Forge Dollywood will have to keep up the great work to compete with the outside the park competition!

^ I think Shambhala is the best of their hypers and it has the staggered seating. The pull on those giant drops with a train that long is spectacular.

I think that if Dollywood were to get a B&M hyper, the staggered seating would be the way to go as well . It leaves every rider with a feeling of openness. The terrain this coaster would inhabit, that would be a big plus in my opinion. I personally think Apollo´s would have benifited with those trains for the same reason. (still love it though)

Some nuggets to chew on:

Pigeon Forge zoning ordinance 709.9 restricts amusement rides to 200ft. Drop Line is said to be 230, but it was originally marketed as 200. To go as high as some of you are hoping would require a major change to be voted through.

The mayor of Pigeon Forge is VP of Operations at The Island...

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ll let y’all read between those lines.

I'm almost positive we dug into the zoning a few years back and found that most of that was for the strip. Dollywood is off the strip. They didn't have any issues with drop line.

Some nuggets to chew on:

Pigeon Forge zoning ordinance 709.9 restricts amusement rides to 200ft. Drop Line is said to be 230, but it was originally marketed as 200. To go as high as some of you are hoping would require a major change to be voted through.

The mayor of Pigeon Forge is VP of Operations at The Island...

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ll let y’all read between those lines.

^Either way I think they could get away with a Hyper Terrain Coaster in a similar layout to

aaeqlye

Wild Eagle's lift hill and Lightning Rod's launch hill are both placed on steep hillsides and I think this is how the park would approach this issue as a workaround as the ride wouldn't technically be 200 feet above the actual ground it was placed on. Its also how SDC's Wildfire feels more imposing and intimidating on that first drop as the coaster was literally placed on the top of a hillside, making the drop larger than its actual height. You can see for miles up there on top of its lift hill.

Question for the locals. Would you all be willing to contribute to a thread dedicated to all of the attractions outside of Dollywood in the area? My kids are at the right age to start doing all of these crazy attractions that are popping up left and right so I am going to start posting trip reports to the ones we go to. My thought was to take the Soaky Mountain thread I created and modify it to include other attractions.

I know we get questions in this thread all the time about what to do in the area when members visit Dollywood, so a universal thread would seem to be warranted. I really can't think of many other areas in the United States outside of Florida and California that is about to have (or is having) the level of development in the attraction industry that this area is moving towards.

I would be all about such a thread! Tons of cool stuff to do and it would be easier to access if it were separate.

That's been mentioned a few times but no timeframe on it. Even the CEO of HFE mentioned that Dolly's resort business is doing well so they will be looking into that soon.

Again, no dates though. I always figured that would be part of their next 5 - 10 year investment/expansion as they are technically just nearing the end of first investment. It's no secret that the resort expansion is coming though, multiple people have mentioned it on Dollywoods leadership team.

Years ago, when they announced the current expansion and monetary investment, the new area was always hinted as being the final part. The new area includes Wildwood Grove and the rest of the clearing. A few of us even believe a resort will be built into the park as part of this new area. The area is on the edge of the park so it's possible guest will still be able to get in and out of the resort without coming through Dollywood.

Love the idea of s more “in park” resort. I always felt the “siting” of dreammore was a bit odd in that it felt so removed from the park. I wish they could at least route the DreamMore trolleys on a private road that didn’t “leave property” also they REALLY need to offer shuttle service to their dinner theatre attractions. You would have a better chance of a “captive audience” if you truly never had to move the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Did ya'll get the survey from Dollywood today? It was wanting to compare indoor ride themes between Firefly Frenzy, Hidden Cavern, and Founder's Day. I want the cave option!!!

Edited by neilnky
Did ya'll get the survey from Dollywood today? It was wanting to compare indoor ride themes between Firefly Frenzy, Hidden Cave, and Founder's Day. I want the cave option!!!

No, can you post a screenshot of the survey? I’d like to compare. Which I already know I’m going to probably like the Hidden Cave option. I’ve heard some rumors/tales tossed around about Phase 2 and a deep cave that explores the depths of Wildwood Grove with a possible monster?

Oh my it was so many screens I don't think I can do that lol. Firefly Frenzy was about tracking down what happened to all the fire flies. Turns out a lady collected them with a funny machine to spread the magic of Wildwood Grove everywhere. The Hidden Cavern was about a mythical cave full of gems you discover along the way in Wildwood Grove, and Founders Day was a celebration of Wildwood Grove. I thought option one and two were ok with two being the best for me. I think it is way to soon for option three. I may be off a bit on some details but that should be close. All options are interactive where you are I think shooting things as you go along to collect them. It will be cool to watch what happens!

Interesting, sounds like they decided not to go with the Hypercoaster addition for the park, maybe this means it will be SDC to get one instead in the near future. I will be curious to see which theme they go with. Hopefully it winds up being a revival of the Flooded Mine of sorts since they removed theirs years ago. (unlike SDC)

Interesting, sounds like they decided not to go with the Hypercoaster addition for the park, maybe this means it will be SDC to get one instead in the near future. I will be curious to see which theme they go with. Hopefully it winds up being a revival of the Flooded Mine of sorts since they removed theirs years ago. (unlike SDC)

Not necessarily. I've received 2 or 3 surveys this year and the one before the coaster survey was actually a dark ride survey as well.

Personally, I think they have something picked out already and are working towards planning rides for their next 5 or 10 year plan. They said they will move into another plan next

It's probably safe to say a coaster and a dark ride are coming. The question is, what's first?

I will also say, the themes in this dark ride survey sound better than the first. Possibly why the sent out another dark ride survey

Also, founders day sounds similar to the walk through area I received in a survey

On an unrelated note, I was at the park today for work. They have already started setting up for luminights! No real pumpkins yet, but some of their large displays are up

Very hot day at the park today and the first time I saw dragonflyer as a walk on BUT wild eagle was only running one train (rare) and it was a walk on, firechaser was a walk on, LR, and so on. Pretty much everything was except for the air-conditioned restaurants, and river ramplage! Aunt grannies had them out the door, front porch cafe also had them lined up, and even reds took 30 mins to get food. What does this bring me to? Dollywood needs more indoor stuff for days like today or more water rides.. the park was DEAD and people still couldn't escape the heat!

Depends on how many days, if any, local schools are out. Some build their Spring Break around Easter, depending when Easter falls. During the week though, I figure you will be fine and crowds will be smaller