TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

It costs $5

Is that still just Gatlinburg or has it spread to PF and beyond?

I echo what others have said. The season pass is a no brainer.

Gold Pass helps a lot for food and merchandise discounts, too.

1- I would invest in season passes for you and your guests. Make sure at least one person has a Gold Pass to cover parking.

Well, staying at the Dollywood cabins offers you a length of stay pass for $70 ($57 for kids) and free parking.

While a Gold Pass discount would be good, takes a lot to justify the added cost. $194 vs 70. To get $124 in discounts you have to spend $620 on food and merchandise in the park.

Really have to do the math on that one. How big is the group? How many meals expected? Budget for merchandise at park?

Sure if there for several days with 4-5 people it would be beneficial. But if you only plan 2 days at the park (only 1 meal each day) then it's less likely to be a win.

Then again, $600 in merchandise isn't hard to spend if you budget allows for it.

Edited by TEDodd
  • Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

Posted Images

^The Ole Smoky Moonshine at The Island also charged. They actually charged $7 ($2 donation to a charity), but you coujd only stack two coupons together at a time and they expire in a week. Sugarlands never really expire they say and can stack unlimited. There is a third moonshine place I believe that is in Pigeon Forge that I’m not sure if they charge.

And oh! That changes things completely as far as the season pass goes.

^The Ole Smoky Moonshine at The Island also charged. They actually charged $7 ($2 donation to a charity)

Bummer if it's spread to PF too.

If I remember correctly, Nov 2017 was still, free samples in PF, at least at Old Forge (next to Old Mill). Still free at Tennessee Shine Company out Wears Valley (the PF location, on Teaster, wasn't open yet).

I didn't check last year.

And oh! That changes things completely as far as the season pass goes.
Yeh, always have to check the perks of where you stay.

I considered not getting a pass and just staying at DW properties since I won't make as many trips in 2019.

But camp sites and season passes works out cheaper for my expected visits.

Is that still just Gatlinburg or has it spread to PF and beyond?

PF as well. Sevierville is a different story - I don't recall being charged at Smith Creek last year and definitely wasn't at Tennessee Legend last month.

Well, staying at the Dollywood cabins offers you a length of stay pass for $70 ($57 for kids) and free parking.

Not just free parking, free VIP parking. Additionally, you can get a length of stay pass WITH TimeSaver for just $100 per ticket... then again, the Gold Pass gets you 20% off your cabin stay and depending on when you go, you might not need TImeSaver, so you really have to weigh the options...

Additionally, you can get a length of stay pass WITH TimeSaver for just $100 per ticket.

Not clear, is that one timesaver, 10 uses, for one day, one for the whole stay but good multiple days, 10 uses per day, or the unlimited use version for the whole stay?

Given the cost (same as one day, 10 use with gold pass) I expect it's 10 rides total and unlimited shows on any day of the stay.

They've already booked so I don't know if they could finagle the pass discount.

But yeah, given the prices on most DW cabins wouldn't taken long to pay for the gold pass. Then get length of stay passes for everyone else.

So Im thinking of Dollywood around Halloween-ish

The park seems to have full hours at this time of year. T

Dollywood will be full operations? If so what type of crowds could be expected in late Oct on a weekday and a weekend?

Oh and I havent really heard about Lightning Rod in a while, has it been running regularly? Or let me say does it at least run like TTD (daily and you have a great chance of getting on but expect it could go down any time)

LR ran great this fall once it reopened.

The Luminights stuff has increased the late October crowds, but yes everything is running except some water rides.

LR ran great this fall once it reopened.

The Luminights stuff has increased the late October crowds, but yes everything is running except some water rides.

Excellent, I rarely do water rides and LR running well is huge, as thats why I chose this park to do over some others.

What about a weekday vs weekend? I reckon weekday must be better at that time of year.

I went to Dollywood on Halloween last year; it was a Wednesday. It was PERFECT. The weather was warm, but not hot, and the crowds were... well, non-existent. We walked onto all the rides. The crowd picked up a little in the evening, but it was mostly just parents with little kids in costumes there to trick'or'treat at LumiNights. I absolutely would recommend a weekday.

I was at Dollywood last year on the Friday after Halloween. LumiNights was still happening and the crowds did pick up a little bit moreso at night than the day, but the rides were mostly walk-ons including Lightning Rod, which btw ran perfect all day. It's definitely one of the best times to visit the park!

What will the crowds be like on Good Friday (April 19th)? It’ll be my first time at the park. I’m staying at dreammore so we’ll have complimentary timesaver passes regardless but I really hope it won’t be packed. I’m also crossing my finger at that Wildwood Grove will be open, I heard someone say mid-late April so we’ll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

To further solidify the rumors of Slidewinder's demise, it has now been listed on Wikipedia as being defunct (if you believe Wiki).

Also, the link to the ride's separate description web page has been deleted. It now redirects to the general ride and attractions page

I also suspect the SkyZip will not be returning for the 2019 season as well, which is not as a big of a loss for me personally. I took the opportunity to ride it once, in it's opening season way back when (and now zip lines are all over the area, so it's wasn't that unique of an attraction anymore).

However, the Mountain Slidewinder, imo was the park's best water ride—definitely the wettest! Such a classic staple for the park to quietly remove, with no last-rides opportunity for us longtime fans.

How does the park decide what to announce which rides they are removing, such as River Battle? While others, such as the Wonder Wheel, and now Slidewinder & SkyZip just fade away.

I do have to wonder if Slidewinder is actually in the process of being dismantled or if it will just sit dormant until the park finds a reason to re purpose the land?

I guess we can find out on March 15, about a month away now!

I also suspect the SkyZip will not be returning for the 2019 season as well, which is not as a big of a loss for me personally. I took the opportunity to ride it once, in it's opening season way back when (and now zip lines are all over the area, so it's wasn't that unique of an attraction anymore).

Well it does offer some nice views of Wild Eagle.

It wasn't a great zipline, but was enough to get my daughter hooked.

I will miss Slidewinder if it's gone.

The Wikipedia edit was done Feb 10 by "Chicagolandcoasters" along with adding Wildwood Grove info.

Only other edit from them was same day, with edit for SFGA (adding Maxxforce)

To further solidify the rumors of Slidewinder's demise, it has now been listed on Wikipedia as being defunct (if you believe Wiki).

Also, the link to the ride's separate description web page has been deleted. It now redirects to the general ride and attractions page

However, the Mountain Slidewinder, imo was the park's best water ride—definitely the wettest! Such a classic staple for the park to quietly remove, with no last-rides opportunity for us longtime fans.

How does the park decide what to announce which rides they are removing, such as River Battle? While others, such as the Wonder Wheel, and now Slidewinder & SkyZip just fade away.

Yeah I thought Slidewinder was gone. My guess is that given its prime hillside location, perhaps a new MACK launch coaster ala Time Traveler is in store?

I do have to wonder if Slidewinder is actually in the process of being dismantled or if it will just sit dormant until the park finds a reason to re purpose the land?

EDIT: Fixed it myself. I just realized my screwup, thanks!

Edited by Kw6sTheatee

^His comment somehow got placed in the quote; It's in the paragraph before the last sentence (about how DW could add their version of Timetraveler on the former Slidewinder site).

^His comment somehow got placed in the quote;

Ugg.

Are quote tags that hard to get right?

BBCode isn't complicated.

It's in the paragraph before the last sentence

And trimming quotes seems to be a lost art too.