TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Visited the park last wednesday. As expected Lightning Rod was still closed with no movement or employers around the ride all day.

Because it was the main reason we went back to the park after visiting DW 4 years ago, it was a little bit of a bummer.

Planned to visit Carowinds this evening and tomorrow......we have no luck with the coasters on this vacation

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

Posted Images

The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now.

Did you seriously just imply that the people who would otherwise be working on Lightning Rod can’t do it this week because they’re (presumably) busy carving jack o lanterns?

They’re not the same people.

Visited Dollywood today for the first time. Lightning Rod is still down. Mystery Mine was down a lot as well.

Tennessee Tornado, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, and FireChaser Express were all up and running.

Crowds were extremely light. Got 5 rides on Thunderhead, 4 rides on Tornado and Wild Eagle, 3 on Blazing Fury and FireChaser Express, and 2 on Mystery Mine. I was there from 10:00 to 5:00. Also got on most of the flat rides and water rides. The Screamin' Swing was only running one side. I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

If I'd been able to stay later, I'd have just rode Thunderhead over and over again. That ride was really great. I expected it to be a very good wooden coaster, but I didn't think it would be nearly as amazing as it was. I can't imagine how much better Lightning Rod will be.

I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com! It typically stays listed on the site throughout the year.

Has anyone heard more about what's going with this long-time ride

The park is closed Tues/Thurs atm so they’re putting all focus into Luminights and doubling its size. Not sure how much focus is being put into LR right now.

Did you seriously just imply that the people who would otherwise be working on Lightning Rod can’t do it this week because they’re (presumably) busy carving jack o lanterns?

I was seriously think the exact same thing as I was reading that post.

I don't know if this is typical, because i know it closes after Labor Day weekend, but the signage for Mountain Slidewinder was down.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com! It typically stays listed on the site throughout the year.

Has anyone heard more about what's going with this long-time ride

Maybe it's about to get the same treatment the one at SDC got?

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com!

It's still listed in the app, but may not have been updated yet.

Would hate to see it go.

On a cool note. Google Maps has updated the area over at Dollywood. Looks like it was taken around March.

Also, interestingly, Google Earth’s 3D map also was updated for the first time since 2013.

They also updated the terrain over Wildwood Grove and the Preferred parking lot to be flat like in real life.

So cool! I had it all messed up in my mind and this makes it so plain. It is amazing how large the clearing is compared to the whole park! There are 8 acres left of the 13 cleared. Looks like so much space! And in my mind I was thinking this clearing headed up towards the train loop but it doesn't it goes another direction. The map sure makes it more plain. I am so glad you posted this. I have been looking at it on google earth and love all the 3D scenery. It is fun seeing the drained pools at the water park too lol.

Mountain Slidewinder has also been removed from the list of rides and attractions on dollywood.com!

It's still listed in the app, but may not have been updated yet.

Would hate to see it go.

Slidewinder closed on September 3rd for the season. I’m not sure why it always closes in early September when all the other water rides close Nov 3rd, but yea. I don’t think it’ll be going anywhere haha.Its one of those rides you just don’t take out, simply for the fact people who’ve came to the park since it opened have ridden Slidewinder. Same with Blazing Fury.

We will need all mechanics who are experts on our roller coasters carving pumpkins this week. Lightning Rod will have to wait we NEED these pumpkins carved!

Interesting. I thought in 2015 Dollywood was an excellent value for the money I paid for admission. I think I would advantage of a presale buy 1 day get the second day free promo. But I can see that people could think it's expensive. People here in Ohio b*tch and moan about CP's main gate pricing all the time. $72 I think is a fair price when you look at parks in Orlando.

And honestly if in 2018 you're buying your tickets full price at the gate you're doing life wrong.

Not sure if it has been brought up but I sure hope Dragonfly has 2 trains

If it's the standard 453m / Orkanen model like it appears to be, it won't have two trains. The station is the brake run.

Not sure if it has been brought up but I sure hope Dragonfly has 2 trains

If it's the standard 453m / Orkanen model like it appears to be, it won't have two trains. The station is the brake run.

Pete said it’s their largest model, which I’m thinking is the 453. So yea, it basically operates like your typical run of the mill family coaster/kiddie coaster. Lift is powered by drive tires, and brake run is the station.

The problem that comes to mind for me is, capacity. Huge new area, everyone sees a new coaster in the area, you’ll have a huge wait in no time.

Looks like Dollywood is questioning their pricing. Wonder if they’re thinking of increasing for the 2019 season or leaving the same?

Reads like they are considering lower.

There's a lot in the area competing for money and a lot of the locals avoid Dollywood due to the price. Although, I think it's a great value, it's still a regional Park and one that doesn't offer nearly as good online offers as Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks.

For example, three days at Dollywood (theme park only) is 99.95 (currently $86.95 with kids pricing) but I purchased three days at Cedar Point for $80 and that also included the water park.. so while not much of a price difference there are added perks. I could see Dollywood dropping their prices a little.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

I do wish DW (or better HFE) would offer a seal like SF just had, $55 for season pass valid at all SF theme parks.

A deal like that for all HFE parks would be great. Or even make the current priced pass valid at all parks.

I don't know that much cheaper daily tickets would help much. But I don't think it'd hurt. But the season pass has crept up a lot in the last 5 years with little added benefit. They even cut the parking discount for preferred /valet.

A big problem I see here in my area (note that I’m literally 2.5 hours or less from Pigeon Forge) is that, even though majority love the park and want to go, they simply see the price and back out. A few years ago Dollywood was like 46 dollars per person. Now it’s around 68/70 per person. I think for my family and I, with tax it’s around 215 ish dollars. Plus the 15 dollars parking fee, plus the food.

So most of the people where I’m from see it as, spend 70 per person on DW, go to extra hours north to KI and pay 40 per person, or beach.

For myself, I have the Gold Pass which has honestly saved so much money for us in two visits. I go more than my parents, I don’t necessarily eat in park unless it’s cinnamon bread (duh).

I think Dollywood is very reasonably priced for what's there. It's a bit higher than some parks but the quality is absolutely there. It's not overpriced in the least.

And for comparison, SDC is $65 one day/$87 season pass. Dollywood being $5 more than that is absolutely appropriate.

I think the season pass is at the right price point but they do seem to get a lot of pushback on the single day tickets. It'll be interesting to see what they do here.

The problem that comes to mind for me is, capacity. Huge new area, everyone sees a new coaster in the area, you’ll have a huge wait in no time.

Dollywood has never been one to care about capacity and so far the world hasn't ended. They don't have the insane demand for the coasters that a lot of other parks do. The only high capacity coaster in the park is Wild Eagle. Tornado would be good but it almost never runs two trains, the wood coasters are average but nothing amazing and Mystery Mine and Firechaser are atrocious.

^ I'd argue Lightning Rod's capacity is pretty poor. Granted I have only seen it operating once, but they had one train and the dispatches were far slower than the rest of the park's rides since they refused to help people push down on the restraints. That led to a lot of issues since people were in fluffy winter coats.

It was pulling a 90 minute wait when nothing else was over 30. Granted that may have been because a ton of people had yet to ride it but that's a much different issue.

I think Dollywood is very reasonably priced for what's there. It's a bit higher than some parks but the quality is absolutely there. It's not overpriced in the least.

And for comparison, SDC is $65 one day/$87 season pass. Dollywood being $5 more than that is absolutely appropriate.

Dollywoods season pass is $120. Three day ticket at Dollywood cost more than a SDC season pass. Now one day tickets are only $5 more.. I'm sure they are seeing success with everyone pays children's pricing and that's why they are considering this

While they don't have the same quality rides the island is free and you can pay for what you ride or an unlimited ride pass for $40.. it has plenty of rides for younger folks making it much a less expensive option for families with young kids. A lot of time price trumps quality. There's a reason why the island ranked number 6 best "amusement park" on trip advisor this year and Dollywood wasn't on that list. The other parks on that list were all Disney, Universal, and Sea World parks. I know a lot of people on here disagree with review sites but they do give the best representation of public view. At least from the vocal public.

Another example of prices potentially hurting them and other activities in the area is in the announcement of Wildwood Grove. Pete mentioned several times "everything is included in one price" trying to build value.. And saying families could save money coming to Dollywood. While this is very true if you plan on doing multiple fun centers in pigeon forge, I don't think many folks actually do that. One fun center is enough.

Dollywood being hidden, families with young kids can stay on the strip and the kids wouldn't even know Dollywood was around and save money at one of the strip parks. I actually heard someone mention to their kids that one of the fun centers was Dollywood lol when I was in the chocolate monkey a week or so ago.

Personally, I feel the value is there but as prices have been creeping up, I have questioned renewing passes several times.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

We have a cabin and I’ve been surprised at how many people write in the guest book and say they go to the island and don’t mention Dollywood. It might be because the cabin sleeps 15 and that would be very expensive. Also I’m surprised at how many People go to the dinner shows in town. Dollywood has gotten more expensive and are bleeding a lot of the locals as they expand out to more of the region vacationer.

Dollywoods season pass is $120. Three day ticket at Dollywood cost more than a SDC season pass. Now one day tickets are only $5 more.. I'm sure they are seeing success with everyone pays children's pricing and that's why they are considering this

While they don't have the same quality rides the island is free and you can pay for what you ride or an unlimited ride pass for $40.. it has plenty of rides for younger folks making it much a less expensive option for families with young kids. A lot of time price trumps quality. There's a reason why the island ranked number 6 best "amusement park" on trip advisor this year and Dollywood wasn't on that list. The other parks on that list were all Disney, Universal, and Sea World parks. I know a lot of people on here disagree with review sites but they do give the best representation of public view. At least from the vocal public.

Another example of prices potentially hurting them and other activities in the area is in the announcement of Wildwood Grove. Pete mentioned several times "everything is included in one price" trying to build value.. And saying families could save money coming to Dollywood. While this is very true if you plan on doing multiple fun centers in pigeon forge, I don't think many folks actually do that. One fun center is enough.

Dollywood being hidden, families with young kids can stay on the strip and the kids wouldn't even know Dollywood was around and save money at one of the strip parks. I actually heard someone mention to their kids that one of the fun centers was Dollywood lol when I was in the chocolate monkey a week or so ago.

Personally, I feel the value is there but as prices have been creeping up, I have questioned renewing passes several times.

Everything you've written is fair, but even at $120, a season pass is a very good value. I get why they're being price conscious--the Ozarks also has always been a depressed economic area that survives on tourism--but you don't want to go too low either and give the impression that what you offer isn't valuable. Dollywood is one of the best theme parks in the country, and the price should reflect that.