TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Oh no I hope they still have them lol. I printed Dollywood and Splash Country's off on the color printer at work for this year. I was going to try to do that the years I can't go. Hopefully they will post them online so I can do that even if they aren't out for people to use at the park. It is so fun looking back at old ones like when Timber Tower was in operation etc...

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Posted Images

I think park maps are being used less and less. They are going digital on apps so less waste, I'm sure less expensive, and I notice fewer and fewer folks using them. I personally doubt they will put much resources into future maps at any park. They do make great collectables though

It seems like more and more parks are simply using Google it Bing for their maps

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I’ll still grab one just to have it, but when technological advancements have enabled you to offer the same thing in an app, complete with ride wait times and GPS that can give you the quickest route to whichever ride you want, it’s hard not to think that they’re obsolete.

I'll try to hush on the maps after this. It would be so cool for Dollywood to post all the prior year park map pdfs in a history section of their website or something. That would be such a cool resource to stroll down Dollywood Memory Lane! Heck that is how I would spend some of my slow time at work lol

I think park maps are being used less and less. They are going digital on apps so less waste, I'm sure less expensive, and I notice fewer and fewer folks using them. I personally doubt they will put much resources into future maps at any park. They do make great collectables though

Now that Google Maps has lines for park pathways, I don't take paper maps anymore.

I'll try to hush on the maps after this. It would be so cool for Dollywood to post all the prior year park map pdfs in a history section of their website or something. That would be such a cool resource to stroll down Dollywood Memory Lane! Heck that is how I would spend some of my slow time at work lol

I'd go for that for both SDC and Dollywood! Lots of history to comb thru! lol

Here's a pic of the 1981 SDC map in my guide with the beloved Log Flume, Flooded Mine, Inventor's Mansion, as well as archery, tomahawk throwing, and shooting muzzle loaders!

Notice the entrance was at the bridge leading into Craftsmen's Valley. This map even predates the Grist Mill (by one year)...and cinnamon bread!

IMG_4265.thumb.jpg.71915032e4ef408ebe2095832ae579aa.jpg

So cool thanks for posting! That is five years pre Dollywood! I'm so excited about Wildwood Grove I've signed up for the two park super gold pass. I may not even get to go until 2020 but hopefully I can go next year to check out luminights and the Christmas lights. Even if I don't make it I don't mind the expense as a thank you for all their hard work!

a

Here's one for the Atlanta crowd. I've been to the park several times before and while beautiful I always cringe about my brakes/tires/transmission on the pass from Cherokee to Gatlinburg. Looking on Goggle Maps it looks like I can route West and it only takes a few minutes longer. Has anyone taken the TN-68 route, is there a lot of twists, turns and hills? Looks tamer and more exciting scenery then the way west interstate route that adds 34 miles (but only 14 minutes to the trip).

Thank you!

I assume you are showing your starting point? From that location, SR 68 will be fine. It isn't on the same planet as going through the national park. Your only risks are that it is two lanes and you are at the mercy of the vehicle in front of you. If a scenic drive is your thing, definitely recommend that route. If you are in a time crunch, use the interstate.

Thank you. Decided on 68 on the way up to test and will either do it or interstate on the way back.

Thanks so much! Very fun looking those over! Oops! This double posted and I can't see how to delete a post. I just see how to edit. Can you delete a post?

Edited by neilnky
Any news about LR? Two weeks until September. For some reason I feel if it’s not open by mid September/October they’ll close it for the remainder of the season.

I believe they had already stated it was gonna be closed down for the rest of the season for some major overhaul work?

Some folks say ride ops have told them it's down the rest of the season but can't trust ride ops. No one in management or leadership at the park has said anything that I have seen

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Pete Owens said in that video that despite rumors, they aren’t putting a chain lift on it and the launch works great, and that he is not gonna name names on who spread those rumors. They are working on other areas of the ride for a long fix, and once they feel it’s right, and finished safety check then it will reopen.

Nothing about it being closed for the rest of the season.

So Unless it’s posted or announced by Dollywood, or said in an interview by someone like Craig or Pete. Anything else is speculation or false rumors.

Plus, operators and maintenance that work on the ride are the only people who are allowed to know anything about it, and they aren’t allowed to say anything like that. So if you hear something from an op on any other ride, they really don’t fully know what’s going on.

Never again will I complain about DW, especially ride ops.

I was at Six Flags NE yesterday. Operations were really slow with no good reason for it.

My last SF park was Texas 6yrs ago and though a slow day the ops were on top of things. Yesterday was just bad.

DW has me spoiled.

3 of 8 coasters were down all day (2 apparently all year).

None of the 5 running were particularly memorable. Especially disappointed in Wicked Cyclone. I hope Twisted Cyclone fairs better when I get to ride it.

Really makes you appreciate how special DW's rides are.

Never again will I complain about DW, especially ride ops.

I was at Six Flags NE yesterday. Operations were really slow with no good reason for it.

My last SF park was Texas 6yrs ago and though a slow day the ops were on top of things. Yesterday was just bad.

DW has me spoiled.

3 of 8 coasters were down all day (2 apparently all year).

None of the 5 running were particularly memorable. Especially disappointed in Wicked Cyclone. I hope Twisted Cyclone fairs better when I get to ride it.

Really makes you appreciate how special DW's rides are.

I hear you. I love the theming and uniqueness of DW's rides (especially Mystery Mine). I hope we get an awesome dark ride someday to add to Blazing Fury and Mystery Mine

2 apparently all year

Alright, I'm all for complaining about operations at Six Flags New England but let's not make things up. Goliath has been closed basically all year (sort of like Lightning Rod). It ran for a few days but that's it. Joker has been down for a little over 3 days but ran fine before that.

When I was at Dollywood in the beginning of the month, I was told by workers that they were putting new track on part of the ride. I can only assume it would be the drop as that's the roughest part of the ride. What do you guys think?

Several locals said it had been down every time they'd been. Just going with what they said.

Was spur of the moment, business wrapped early. Didn't realize how close I was or research any. Just hit the park cold, arriving around 3:00.

Edited by TEDodd
When I was at Dollywood in the beginning of the month, I was told by workers that they were putting new track on part of the ride. I can only assume it would be the drop as that's the roughest part of the ride. What do you guys think?

That's been the rumor I've been hearing all summer. they are repairing the "Speed Bump" and the seats are getting more padding. For as easy as it is to get into the employee lot and see the drop, you would think someone would have pictures by now.