TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Can anyone please tell me whether or not they still have the "Big boy" seat belts on Wild Eagle? Thanks!

If you’re talking about the red seatbelts that provided a bit of extra slack, they’re still in row 4 only I’m pretty sure. The rest of the seatbelts are standard B&M Wing seatbelts.

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Posted Images

Is anyone at the park today? The app does not say that LR is closed for the day... Just wondering if that is accurate or not as I am in town and would love to stop by if that’s true this evening!

Is anyone at the park today? The app does not say that LR is closed for the day...

No time shown. Click to the ride page and it says closed.

0645f7ecf8e7a3d263a01fcef4a7781c.jpg

Is anyone at the park today? The app does not say that LR is closed for the day... Just wondering if that is accurate or not as I am in town and would love to stop by if that’s true this evening!

The bay doors on the station are all closed, so I’m honestly not sure if it’ll open soon, if it will open before the winter season. Fall/Luminights starts in September. That’s a very busy time for them coming up.

^ and ^^ thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it! Bummer it’s still closed - for a sec I got excited. Did not see the fine print when clicking on the ride info, appreciate you pointing that out TEDodd. I will still stop by this week but won’t rush.

will still stop by this week but won’t rush.

I'll be in the area next weekend. Not sure what days/times I'll be at DW and/or SC.

Bummer that LR is down again.

Still lots more to do, and many new attractions in the area.

I don't know how anyone would see that it's been removed without driving to the employee side of the park but if it's true, I'm really curious what keeps causing the issue.. it was repaired once after being confirmed by the park during it's original season and has came back

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Well there you have it:

Quote from Instagram:“ According to Dollywood employees, Lightning Rod will likely be closed for the rest of the 2018 season, joining Volcano: The Blast Coaster on the list of rides that are closed for the rest of the season. The park is looking for a permanent solution to decrease downtime that could change the ride. I sure hope that this isn’t a lift hill, and I hope that it is just a new launch system.“

Well there you have it:

Quote from, "mramusementmedia", someone that nobody has ever heard of who doesn't even look like he's old enough to drink who was probably talking to some random ride ops if anyone at all on and then made this declaration to get attention on Instagram

Fixed...

joining Volcano: The Blast Coaster on the list of rides that are closed for the rest of the season

That news also broke because some dude with no inside information said it. He also said that the park would announce it a few days later which (surprise) never happened. I wonder why...

Edited by coasterbill

Yeah I just browsed through Instagram post and found a bunch of nonsense.. one guy said he was told it was down due to brake issues. Instagram is full of different reasons, some might be true but I'm sure all aren't.

When LR first opened, ride ops knew nothing.. Dollywood wouldn't tell them a think and even made them leave anytime anything was wrong with the coaster. I'm sure they have backed off that a little but I'm still sure they don't tell the ops muxh.

Hopefully they can get it all figured out for good. I suppose there is a bigger risk of problems when you get a "one of a kind" type ride. I can see it is challenging because you want to have something unique but you also want it to be as problem free as possible. I really trust Dollywood and although Lightning Rod may be down there are many other fun things to do. I am sure they are working toward a permanent solution and we just have to be patient. They definitely want it to be safe.

I don't know how anyone would see that it's been removed without driving to the employee side of the park

Since that's also where you'd go to apply for a job (so not controlled/restricted access), I plan to drive over to look while I'm in town this weekend.

It's Dollywood Lane off veterans.. closer to the strip. the gates to get to it from the parking lot are normally closed (or have been this year) so you access it from the employee entrance. I avoid that end of town due to traffic lol

Yes upper middle Creek is the other side of Dollywood lane

It's Dollywood Lane off veterans.. closer to the strip. the gates to get to it from the parking lot are normally closed (or have been this year) so you access it from the employee entrance. I avoid that end of town due to traffic lol

I've seldom seen the gate from the main lots open. But I've driven up to the HR building a few times from the other side.

Neat going under LR.

I'm often coming from the south end of town. And Veterans usually isn't bad going south. Just stay off the parkway. I've learned lots of alternate routes

TEDodd - Is that via the employee entrance off Upper Middle Creek Rd? Or where?
Yes. That's also the route to the HR building and clinic.

As mentioned, Upper Middle Creek is named DW Lane at Veterans. It changes names around the entrance.

It seems incredible that Lightning Rod is still experiencing such wholesale problems well into its second year of operation, but I suspect much of the delay in fixing it properly is down to arguments between RMC and their suppliers over what the cause is and who should pay for the repairs. Even if you break projects down into their component parts (eg, on Lightning Rod, the launch), there are so many contractors involved in the supply chain who will probably all be blaming each other and doing everything they can to not foot the bill.