TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

Normal people aren't in touch with the industry enough to associate the NTaG incident with Lightning Rod because of RMC or RMC trains or anything related to RMC. Normal people don't know who or what RMC is, let alone associate them with specific rides. They may remember the NTaG incident as "some lady fell off a wood roller coaster so they made it a hybrid roller coaster" or "didja hear that SOMEONE FELL OFF THIS RIDE??" or something dumb like that, but it'll have nothing to do with RMC.

People think they're going to die on Lightning Rod because it's an intense ride that gives a lot of extreme airtime so it's meant to simulate that feeling in the first place, plus apparently it's not exactly butter smooth so they think it's gonna fall apart or something. Add constant breakdowns into the mix and it's no wonder people are coming up with "rumors" about things.

The "feeling" is by design, but there's no actual danger.

But these people aren't saying "cool, I felt like I was being thrown out."

They don't get it, and spread fear because of that.

Not at all what I would have guessed. It almost sounds like a rename for Timber Canyon. (I realize it isn’t.)

Back to the new train crossing, do we think this may become backstage area or do we really think we are that close to expanding that far back.

An interview with the HFE president said they are already discussing the next five year plan for Dollywood so I see no reason they wouldn't continue the expansion. So who knows

And all of Dollywoods hints match the Wildwood Grove logo that's floating around.. Sounds like this area might be very heavily themed in a fantasy like way from things I have read/seen.. sounds exciting.

Some of the comments I have read though talk about if it's actually a Grove, why did Dollywood take out all the trees but maybe they will put fantasy type magical trees in

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

At first “Wildwood Grove” took me by a shock but I like the name honestly. It’s refreshing, plus a grove is usually a flat plot of land with trees and well...that’s what this is (minus the tree part lol). I myself hope they don’t go the fairytale tree route just because, it would honestly be a sore thumb. You have this rustic look all up in Timber Canyon, then right across from Thunderhead in plain sight is a neon green sparkly tree? Nah. Haha I hope they keep the flow of rustic going.

When I think of the words “Explore” and “Wildwood” I think of Dreamland Forest. I can’t help but not go back to thinking of that area of Dollywood. Speaking of the new railroad crossing up there, the route it’s going seems to go down hill a bit, then curve around with the train. I think it will be a way for expansion. If it was a backstage road I wouldn’t think they’d put up a literal crossing sign for it, and the sign is up right now.

At first “Wildwood Grove” took me by a shock but I like the name honestly. It’s refreshing, plus a grove is usually a flat plot of land with trees and well...that’s what this is (minus the tree part lol). I myself hope they don’t go the fairytale tree route just because, it would honestly be a sore thumb. You have this rustic look all up in Timber Canyon, then right across from Thunderhead in plain sight is a neon green sparkly tree? Nah. Haha I hope they keep the flow of rustic going.

When I think of the words “Explore” and “Wildwood” I think of Dreamland Forest. I can’t help but not go back to thinking of that area of Dollywood. Speaking of the new railroad crossing up there, the route it’s going seems to go down hill a bit, then curve around with the train. I think it will be a way for expansion. If it was a backstage road I wouldn’t think they’d put up a literal crossing sign for it, and the sign is up right now.

But that's exactly what all the promotion and artwork for the hints is.. Bright and neon. I think it would fit fine, amusement parks don't have to match.. that's why they have different lands.. different places to get lost in.

Well, I know that I am just talking crazy here,but what if the Wildwood Grove has something to do with Dolly's new netflix series and they are just tricking us, or if Wildwood Grove is just the name of one attraction (possibly indoor) of this new area. But who knows... we will see on the 3rd!

Well, I know that I am just talking crazy here,but what if the Wildwood Grove has something to do with Dolly's new netflix series and they are just tricking us, or if Wildwood Grove is just the name of one attraction (possibly indoor) of this new area. But who knows... we will see on the 3rd!
Possible.. there is a single large tree in the center of the blueprints.. the neon, flashy, Bright tree might simply be that single tree and it might be an attraction all in itself.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/experience/america/theme-parks/2018/07/24/tripadvisor-names-top-amusement-parks-in-travelers-choice-awards/37090157/

All Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal parks listed here, aside from the island.. is the Island really that popular with travelers? A thorn in Dollywoods side? I know attendance was down, tourist going the free route in the area

All Disney, SeaWorld, and Universal parks listed here, aside from the island.. is the Island really that popular with travelers? A thorn in Dollywoods side? I know attendance was down, tourist going the free route in the area

A tiny, walkable RD&E (retail, dining, and entertainment) is a much more accessible and lower-commitment destination than an expansive, expensive theme park. If the place is clean and safe, and if the staff are friendly, I could see why visitors to the area place it on the same level as Dollywood. Having quick-and-easy attractions, such as their large Ferris wheel, their XD theater, their escape room, and their selection of unique stores to just walk through and admire, certainly helps.

I may be thinking the wrong way, but I could totally see a family or vacation group splitting up during the day with children, teenagers, young adults and some parents going to Dollywood, with other adults, seniors, and stroller-pushing parents going to The Island.

I really hope it's not fake trees to be fair, but if anywhere could pull it off it's Dollywood.

You'd be surprised about how much magic can happen with good lighting.

lol, fake trees. Yes, a company famed for planting trees is going to fill an area with fake trees. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big pseudo-disney fake tree in there somewhere, but there will be plenty of new real trees.

It sucks that they had to clear cut and level the area, but that's what they have to work with. No one makes a big deal when anyone else does it. They had to move a whole hill to get Wilderness Pass through.

I really hope it's not fake trees to be fair, but if anywhere could pull it off it's Dollywood.

You'd be surprised about how much magic can happen with good lighting.

One news report I read talked about fairies and everything.. while I don't think it will be that fantasy, I do lean towards fantasy.. and yes, I'm sure they will plant new trees but if they do all Bright and fantasy type stuff like the artwork so far, I do see "fake" fantasy type trees being put in

And for the large centerpiece type fake tree in the center, the old blueprints do have something like that. It's actually the only tree in the center.. I'm thinking that will be some treehouse type attraction though haha

there will be plenty of new real trees.

I know Dollywood and SDC plant a ton of new trees whenever they cut some down, but new small trees is still can't replace the feeling of the older mature trees that used to exist. It'll take decades of tree growth to get that vibe back.

a2d201124a9c4c130cf3ab2ab2688c50.jpg

thunderhead-dollywood-roller-coaster-1242.jpg

We will never have this again.

5aac301b-e818-4fcc-8850-f7bc6adc3393.jpeg

plaza-wilderness-pass-3_preview.jpg

Even though Wilderness Pass had plenty of newly planted trees, it still feels cut down and bare compared the the awesome wooded areas of the park

It sucks that they had to clear cut and level the area, but that's what they have to work with. No one makes a big deal when anyone else does it. They had to move a whole hill to get Wilderness Pass through.

That's because hardly any parks have the same incredible natural setting of DW and SDC. I feel the same with Time Traveler's excessive tree demo (Kinda ruined TnT's setting). If Lake Compounce ripped all the trees out from BDash, people would feel the same as I do now.

That said, I feel like they did a great job keeping trees with Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod - You still feel like you're in the woods on those coasters.

But there really is no choice if you want to grow.. the entire area is still heavily wooded with the foothills as the backdrop.. it's either stop growing or start moving mountains.. When parks stop growing physically, that's when we start loosing rides so they can build new ones to bring folks in..

And I feel this isn't the end.. we will see more demolition of trees, but the park will replace those trees somewhere.. they don't necessarily replace them at the park though

But there really is no choice if you want to grow.. the entire area is still heavily wooded with the foothills as the backdrop.. it's either stop growing or start moving mountains.. When parks stop growing physically, that's when we start loosing rides so they can build new ones to bring folks in..

That may be so, but it bums me out that park expansion is at the cost of the park's unique setting and charm.

Dollywood has earned their trust from me with their amazing park, but I still have this nagging feeling that this move is too "corporate" for them... idk