TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

They have actually been giving tickets out for shows now so you don't wait in line, if the show is popular.. I have now received a ticket for two shows now. When you come back you just go in the main door and someone takes the ticket

That gets you "a seat" but not a good seat.

Timesaver reserved seats are good seats (though not the best).

Edited by TEDodd
  • Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Their season pass renewal system is running on the same server as Lightning Rod. 

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

Posted Images

I was just mentioning that so people would know they don't always have to wait in line for shows. Most theaters have a couple rows blocked off in the front for the timesaver seats (some theaters have the timesaver seats on the side rows up front), but it's not necessary to wait in line for some of the shows now without timesaver.. Not sure if it's something they are simply testing, something to keep guest happy due to some of their shows being kind of big this summer, or what, but I hope they keep the ticket thing going.

It's nice being able to pick up your ticket then go get a fresh soda in your mug or something (so you don't have to buy expensive 20ounce sodas) and then come back to your theater and find a seat!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, a ticket beats the long lines. But I expect there will still be lines of those with tickets wanting the best seats.

No your right, I still stayed in line the first show! Just because it was raining and the line was covered but they had two folks handing out tickets and there was actually never a line for the actual tickets lol

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Exciting news!

According to Screamscape, the 2019 announcement date is set for Friday, August 3rd!!! I can't wait to see all the details to be revealed. Tell us about, Dolly!!!

Exciting news!

According to Screamscape, the 2019 announcement date is set for Friday, August 3rd!!! I can't wait to see all the details to be revealed. Tell us about, Dolly!!!

Whoo hooo! I saw a youtube video last night showing a retaining wall built across from Mystery Mine and a huge big concrete square that has been made. Thinks are moving it appears

ERT has been changed to Wild Eagle, so Lightning rod is hopefully getting the love it needs.

Side Note: The Park just dropped a seed on social media.

Bobby what ERT, and when was it scheduled? I am heading down from Toronto, next weekend, and I would like to know if they are anticipating it will be down that long. If the ETR is Aug 3 I think I am going to outta luck

Jenna, this weekend is the 10th annual Thrills in the Hills event, they scheduled ERT for Lightning Rod last night and changed it last minute. The ride today is still closed, during a maintenance tour today, they told us the issue has been turned over to RMC as it’s still under warranty. That’s pretty much all they wanted to say.

Good news for you though, media day is the 3rd so Dolly will be at the park for the announcement.

Bobby what ERT, and when was it scheduled? I am heading down from Toronto, next weekend, and I would like to know if they are anticipating it will be down that long. If the ETR is Aug 3 I think I am going to outta luck

This is the calendar of ERT dates for season pass and it still has LR as the ERT for Saturday August 4th but that could be wishful thinking on their part. https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Early-Entry

This is the calendar of ERT dates for season pass and it still has LR as the ERT for Saturday August 4th but that could be wishful thinking on their part. https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Guest-Services/Early-Entry

Word is that the park handed the problem over to RMC again as there is still warranty going on. The ride might be closed at least for the next two weeks, the ERT yesterday was cancelled last minute....

Source: well its from reddit but better than nothing as the park does not say anything at all...

^^ I was there, reported it on the last page, it is true. Also until yesterday morning Lightning Rod was listed as the ERT for this event and was changed the morning of. Unless they get the issue worked out I would assume they won’t change it unless they have to.

I was looking around to find info on the LR situation. Besides what we’ve heard about retracking (MUCH NEEDED at the drop), and padding added to the seats (I thought the seats themselves are fine?), I’ve also seen that Velocity Magnetics has shut down? Anyone know if this is true or false?

So let’s talk about Dollywood’s hint. “Planting the seeds for something BIG” with colorful vines and leaves. The first thing that pops into my head is the old Dreamland Forest. Could we see a revamped version of that make a comeback? Could this be an intire forest land? Which...wouldn’t totally fit when you think. Yes it’s in the mountains, but they’ve made a feild into it really. Looks like a piece of land towards Cades Cove.

I was looking around to find info on the LR situation. Besides what we’ve heard about retracking (MUCH NEEDED at the drop), and padding added to the seats (I thought the seats themselves are fine?), I’ve also seen that Velocity Magnetics has shut down? Anyone know if this is true or false?

So let’s talk about Dollywood’s hint. “Planting the seeds for something BIG” with colorful vines and leaves. The first thing that pops into my head is the old Dreamland Forest. Could we see a revamped version of that make a comeback? Could this be an intire forest land? Which...wouldn’t totally fit when you think. Yes it’s in the mountains, but they’ve made a feild into it really. Looks like a piece of land towards Cades Cove.

What comes to my mind is this is just the beginning of the expansion with more to be announced when this area is complete

As for LR, my wife and I just got back from Cedar Point, and after riding Steel Vengeance, she said LR was defective from the beginning! I explained the track difference but she still thinks LR has never ran correctly after seeing how smooth Steel Vengeance was compared to LR. One day I wore a Dollywood shirt and several people stopped me and said they would visit Dollywood when LR is fixed, lol.

I'm excited for the expansion and hope it only continues! Dollywood needs to get that pop back in their attendance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Retracking LR I rode TH yesterday and dang OMG I felt like it was trying to kill me TH needs a retrack

I thought Thunderhead was still really fun in the front row as of last year. Did you try it up there?

I've been hearing for years about Thunderhead being rough. Every time I ride it I just think it's awesome and end up walking off confused at what people are complaining about. Like you, we always ride in the front now but only because it seems like it has a lot more airtime up there.

... then I ride Mystery Mine and walk off with that exact same level of confusion

If Mystery Mine was at any park not named Dollywood, it would probably suck, but since it IS at Dollywood, the random A$$ layout, slight jankiness, location, and theming make it a truly one-of-a-kind ride.

We're still deciding between Smoky Mountain Christmas or a BGT/SWO spin for Thanksgiving. It's pretty hard to go wrong between those two, from what I've heard. If we choose SMC I'm gonna have to pack every hoodie I own because my winter gear is a little lacking (living in Texas and all)

It's themed after a mine car, I have always thought that had to do with the funky layout and the roughness at time. I see nothing wrong with it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I've been hearing for years about Thunderhead being rough. Every time I ride it I just think it's awesome and end up walking off confused at what people are complaining about.

Agree. I expect wooden coaster to be like TH not like the modern retracks (or built that way from the start).

I like LR, buy it doesn't feel like a woodie. Neither do the retracks like New Texas Giant or Twisted Cyclone. Fun rides, but not the woodie experience.

^ Thunderhead is an actual wooden coaster (and was perfectly fine in the front, middle, and back last year). Lightning Rod is a wooden coaster but uses topper track which makes it ride different from a typical wooden coaster. New Texas Giant and Twisted Cyclone are completely different in that their entire track is all made of steel. So putting any of these three groups into the same category to gauge how a wooden coaster is supposed to "feel" isn't really fair.

Disclaimer, I haven't been on anything with topper track (LR was closed when I went last year ) so I'm going based on what I've seen and read about that. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I've been on 3 different RMCs with I-Box track, 2 of them being hybrids.