TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

On a unrelated note, did anyone on here make it out to the park before or after the frigid shutdown on January 1st and 2nd? I am wondering if the lighted butterfly was ever brought back to the Christmas festival anywhere in the park. In recent years, it was hung rather inconspicuously on the side of the Emporium facing the tram pickup pavilion. I expected it to be placed back in it's rightful home where the butterfly "planter" is located, between Showstreet Palace and the Sweet Shoppe, but I didn't see it there when I attended the festival twice in November.

I was at the park over xmas week and do not remember seeing this butterfly you speak of. We hung out with Larrygator for 2 days and he's more familiar with the park than I am so maybe he can chime in on if it was there and I simply walked right past it.

I don't recall seeing it, but then again it's not something I was looking for at the time. Maybe it was incorporated into the Parade of Many Colors (which I did not watch).

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Their season pass renewal system is running on the same server as Lightning Rod. 

Shenanigans! Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon

Posted Images

On a unrelated note, did anyone on here make it out to the park before or after the frigid shutdown on January 1st and 2nd? I am wondering if the lighted butterfly was ever brought back to the Christmas festival anywhere in the park. In recent years, it was hung rather inconspicuously on the side of the Emporium facing the tram pickup pavilion. I expected it to be placed back in it's rightful home where the butterfly "planter" is located, between Showstreet Palace and the Sweet Shoppe, but I didn't see it there when I attended the festival twice in November.

I was at the park over xmas week and do not remember seeing this butterfly you speak of. We hung out with Larrygator for 2 days and he's more familiar with the park than I am so maybe he can chime in on if it was there and I simply walked right past it.

I don't recall seeing it, but then again it's not something I was looking for at the time. Maybe it was incorporated into the Parade of Many Colors (which I did not watch).

Thanks guys! Unfortunately the early January freeze-out kept me out of Dollywood to see for myself. Perhaps the butterfly was out for repair this time around. Hopefully it will reappear in 2018, just as the Caroling Tree is slated to be new in Wilderness Pass Plaza (former River Battle site).

Just got my hotel room booked for season pass holder day for $27. Score! I saw some people mentioned Dolly would be there that weekend, has that been published anywhere? Just curious.

Also stupid question- if you have a friend that wants to come with you Season pass holder day but they don't have a pass, can they use or buy a regular admission to get in? Didn't know if anyone had previous experience with this issue?

Also stupid question- if you have a friend that wants to come with you Season pass holder day but they don't have a pass, can they use or buy a regular admission to get in? Didn't know if anyone had previous experience with this issue?

Your friend will need a season pass to get in on Friday.

Has anyone heard if they are doing fireworks this year cause the spot that they shot them from in previous years is now being excavated for 2019 do you think this will an off year for them or could they just shoot them from the original spot up on the next to Wild Eagle by the way I’ve always seen the spot next to Wild Eagle near the entrance to Mountain Slidewinder to an area for an Owens Farm expansion with a small flat ride

Has anyone heard if they are doing fireworks this year cause the spot that they shot them from in previous years is now being excavated for 2019 do you think this will an off year for them or could they just shoot them from the original spot up on the next to Wild Eagle by the way I’ve always seen the spot next to Wild Eagle near the entrance to Mountain Slidewinder to an area for an Owens Farm expansion with a small flat ride

https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Entertainment/Dollys-Nights-Of-Many-Colors

^ Oh cool! They're waiting until the 10:00 closes begin this year so they don't look like this again.

Yeah, they had to have spent a bunch on those fireworks we could barely see. They were big and impressive, but not when there's a giant flaming ball of gas in the sky.

With all of the excitement of the bright future of the park. I wanted to look back and share some pictures of the past! We’ve come along way! Would love for others to share some old photos!

5CC36041-61E1-4278-AD27-308E99FCAFF0.jpeg.1742afc18714b00143e4e3d53f97a377.jpeg

A33E7A2B-23BD-4DA6-8923-C33358389F3D.jpeg.4699c6489fcfa5766d4f50b76d6ab6d0.jpeg

A8EBE81C-407A-463D-9F48-40BECCB85A20.thumb.jpeg.2b9d0aca3962f7104352b3ee651ddb16.jpeg

AB2A7478-3EEF-4D2D-8E0D-B29C9AE6A5B0.thumb.jpeg.7bde945cc6eebcaf7f402df2c241b012.jpeg

B7AA6E83-8A1C-4D61-A259-E415C5AA039B.jpeg.0233913667f07357ead3b7e412564a8c.jpeg

E0E49D12-AF28-4F1B-AF2E-730AF5F2D26C.jpeg.1cc300f825a4d4e7abc10b00b715d48a.jpeg

FA72C232-1D7F-4840-9DF8-F1948BB4A551.jpeg.6193bbef68ce7659ee95fa285e7010e0.jpeg

FEDC5BED-8D09-424C-B2ED-0B3242834C2D.jpeg.2462af8bae14d122e773e75eb1a367b5.jpeg

Flooded mine was for space, BF was because they added magnetic brakes.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

BF also had a lot of wood rotting due to the water being moved through the ride via the train. I heard it would be hard to keep it going in the future unless they removed the water. The water was used to slowdown the trains and with the new magnetic brake it was no longer needed.

Silver Dollar City hasn't had the same issues with the water, even on an older version of the ride and winters that are just as cold...

I think it was mainly a maintenance decision. Water is hard to manage and is causes a lot of deterioration that you have to stay on top of. Additionally, Flooded Mine is/was full of animatronics and an old-fashioned gun/target system that is/was tough to keep in working order. DW has always been quicker to say out with the old and in with the new whenever they want to "upgrade". SDC seems to be showing signs of getting ready to get rid or completely rebuild their version.

I've also heard they had issues with snakes, which may have been the real final straw. I think we discussed it on here before, but I'm not sure how to look back through hundreds of pages to find it.

Great photos though, thanks for sharing! Love the old photo of Pigeon Forge's main strip.

There is a rumor that they had issues with snakes however I have heard three different snakes that were inside the ride

1.) Water Mocassin - This snake doesn't live in this area if East Tennessee.. there is a snake that looks similar and lives in the water but doesn't have venom.

2.) Cottonmouth which are only west of the Tennessee river

3.) Copperheads which don't really like water. Yeah they will tolerate it but with all the places to live stream Dollywood, I'd doubt they would choose flooded mine

Were there snakes inside the ride? Probably, 25% of homes around here have snakes in them or under them.. it's not uncommon, but snakes are also territorial meaning if one water ride was replaced by another, they would just inhabit it as well

Folks at Dollywood will say the snake story is an urban legend. Dollywood does have snakes, I saw snakes several times this visit but none venomous.

So is it true or an urban legend/rumor? I'm sure we will never know the truth but I'd imagine if it were true, the snakes were harmless

Harmless snakes still = scary though!

^This may be the third or forth time the snake story has circulated on this forum. It was very simple. The log flume was retired and the maintenance on the flooded mine was too much. They wanted a new water ride. I get deja vu every time I see the urban legend someone was bitten by a snake on the ride.

Edited by ernierocker

I to don't believe snakes closed Flooded Mine either, never have, but log flume wasn't retired until 2004 (part of the country fair 2005 remodel) and dare devil falls was opened in 1998. Now I am sure Dollywood knew they were closing log flume a few years before they did but not sure they knew it 6 years before.

The space that Flooded Mine took up, plus it's age just made it a perfect closure for Daredevil Falls in my mind. Plus that was when Dollywood started building more thrilling rides.. Daredevil Falls in 98, Tornado in 99, new area in 2004 (Thunderhead Gap with Thunderhead)

With all of the excitement of the bright future of the park. I wanted to look back and share some pictures of the past! We’ve come along way! Would love for others to share some old photos!

Do you know what year that picture of the strip was taken? That's incredible