TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

Are all the rides open? Yes & No.. right now Friday is listing a low of 35 in Knoxville (Dollywood will be colder).. I'm sure that will be later Friday Night before it hits those temps. When it gets cold they have to close the coasters.. usually Tennessee Tornado is usually first to close and Wild Eagle is normally last.. Wild Eagle will continue to run until it gets what they call "Under Speed". That usually only happens if it's cold for a good period of time, but I have seen it run as cold as 30 outside because it wasn't under speed yet

LR ran fine last fall until the fires and was down a lot in December.. it was unclear if that was due to it being so cold or not

So while all the rides are supposed to be open, as temps drop the coasters will close! Just be sure to ride them early and pick YOUR FAVORITE to ride during the dark.. don't bank on riding all after dark because when it gets dark, the temp drops quickly and the coasters close fairly quickly.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks! That'll help plan the order of rides. Friday has a high of 58 and the park opens at 2 so hopefully we can get to everything in time. If anything is down we'll just put the day's admission toward 2018 passes and go back next year.

Yup, you should be fine until dark. I will say the few "cold" nights we have had this season, the temp dropped very quickly after dark and it's getting dark around 6 now that the time has changed.. I'd imagine you will be fine until 7ish at least and probably later. It's supposed to hit the 35 degree mark before midnight though but I'd be willing to bet it'll be after the park closes at 9 before it gets that cold

The coasters start closing in the low 40s (or that's what Dollywood says anyways) so just keep an eye on temps in my personal experience they don't close until the upper 30s.. so yeah just play it by ear and ride Tornado first if you want to ride it in the dark (it's probably my favorite coaster in the dark)

At Dollywood today and I'd say their are less than 1000 guest in the entire park.. possibly less than 500! You can walk entire sections and see no one other than host..

On a side note. Wild Eagle is still having an issue with wasps and has yet to open.. Firechaser is also having major issues today and didn't open with the park and has been down the majority of the time.. it opens here and there only to be closed again

LR is running great and 0 wait!

Also to answer the question about Carol of Trees, it seems to be gone. They didn't even put the large tree up this year.. they have a smaller tree with just balls on it outside Market Square but the large tree isn't up! I found it kind of sad not to see the large tree but overall still a great time and beautiful lights..

Planning a winter break trip to the area and visiting dollywood for the first time. What kind of crowd can I expect from Dec 26th to 31st? Also which one of the days is likely to be less crowded and what should I expect in terms of ride operation?
Like most activities around Christmas, it can be very crowded!! But it all depends on weather.. If it's cold the crowds will probably be light, at least until dark and folks will show up around dark for the Christmas activities.. But if it's a mild Christmas like we have had the past few years in the area, it might be fairly crowded!! Keep in mind though, the Dollywood Christmas crowd is older.. they aren't ride riders.. the are show seekers and shoppers.. I was there a few seasons ago for Christmas (late November though maybe early December) and it was one of the so called record breaking days.. folks parked at Splash Country.. it was a 70 degree day or so in late November or early December... Rides didn't have a significant wait though.. some may of been around 15 mins... Firechaser was the longest and the only ride we didn't ride that day.. but firechaser always has a longer wait than most, even today when it was open it had the longest wait in the park! 5 mins! Everything else was walk-on even LR. Park was dead though!

Also to answer the question about Carol of Trees, it seems to be gone. They didn't even put the large tree up this year.. they have a smaller tree with just balls on it outside Market Square but the large tree isn't up! I found it kind of sad not to see the large tree but overall still a great time and beautiful lights..

I saw where Carowinds put in a large tree similar to the one in Timber Canyon. I wonder if DW sold it to them or if they have it in storage until next year when the PFKARB (Plaza Formerly Known As River Battle) will be decked out for Christmas.

I saw where Carowinds put in a large tree similar to the one in Timber Canyon. I wonder if DW sold it to them or if they have it in storage until next year when the PFKARB (Plaza Formerly Known As River Battle) will be decked out for Christmas.

Speaking of plaza, and take this with a grain of salt, today was dead but was a weekday meaning a lot of Dollywood management was out and about.. while eating we overheard three folks in Dollywood Polos with laptops talking about "Planning for the new area is coming along nicely and currently the only hurdle we are facing is trying to figure out the best way to get guest to the new area".. After that they moved on down the path to their next location I guess so I didn't hear anything else and was eating so didn't plan on following them haha.

Again, no idea who these three folks were.. no idea if they were managers or not but they weren't dressed like regular Dollywood employees, they were taking notes, and had laptops. When the park is dead you just notice a lot more when you look around.. also they could of been talking about the new plaza so who knows.. or they might be talking about the clearing on the train route people keep mentioning (which I saw and not much was being done today but it was raining earlier).

Worlds Of Fun is putting up an identical tree in their park (screenshot below from Facebook today). Pretty sure they were specially made for the CF parks, not used/purchased from another park. The same looking tree will likely pop up at the other CF parks as well.

wofwf20171.JPG.65130d12e98038b09e588be658da210b.JPG

Most parks with Christmas events have that style tree, that's one reason it is so sad not to see it at Dollywood, they had a smaller one up but not the giant massive one from years past

At Dollywood today and I'd say their are less than 1000 guest in the entire park.. possibly less than 500! You can walk entire sections and see no one other than host..

I'm planning to visit Dollywood this December and so I went ahead and got the app just to see how it worked. I was looking at the ride wait times today and I thought there must be something wrong because everything said 0 minutes!

Nope, they were 100% correct.. I even saw a few LR launches with only 4 - 6 people! You could choose your seat and they had all rows open.. Wild Eagle was closed most of the day due to wasps (or so the sign said) but opened at night.. I road blazing fury 6 times and 5 of those 6 (all at different times, not in a row) it was only me and my GF on it.. saw a lot of trains on rides run empty just so they wouldn't be setting..

Good day but probably a money loss day for Dollywood

Walked on Wild Eagle almost every time today. Seven rides total on WE. We only got one on Tennessee Tornado. For some reason my daughter hasn't liked a single Arrow coaster we've been on.

We were first in line waiting for LR to open at 2. The screen outside went from blank to Temporarily Closed. So we hit Firechaser, Wild Eagle, TT, and Blazing Fury. When we came out of BF the app said LR was open with 20 minute wait. We got almost to the platform when it broke down again. So we went to Thunderhead. We both loved it and ended up riding it 3 times. App says LR had opened again so we head over. It was running and we were next in line when it broke down again. So we went for night rides on WE and Thunderhead. Firechaser line was crazy so we decided to call it a night.

I checked the app as we got close to LR on the way out and it was running! We got a walk on back seat ride and then a two ride wait for front. Then the masses figured out it was running so we bugged out to beat the crowds. I have to go back and ride LR during the day. It was great. I really didn't think we were going to get that one.

All in all a great day in a fun park. WE was probably my favorite then LR and Thunderhead. I thought it was odd they wouldn't let you stay on a coaster if there was no one in line. SFoG tomorrow!

You on IOS? Android ride times are working fine but not sure if the app received an update or not.. I update all my apps in the morning and I had about 15 updates today.. no pending updates as of now so it probably updated this morning

Ride wait times are working fine for me and I updated the app about an hour ago (IOS for me). I really like the new update. In addition to the wait times, it also mentions the height requirements of that specific ride right next to the current wait. Ride descriptions have also been added to the wait times list. The app pretty much has a whole new look.

For Christmas this year, is Dollywood doing the "After 3, Next Day Free" thing? If so, does it start at a different time of day than 3pm? My friend is hoping to go to DW and would be wanting to go one afternoon/evening and then for half a day the next day.

If they do it's not "next day after 3" it's normally a later time to get in the next day free.. gotta remember, most days the park doesn't open until 2 this time of year.. they would be basically giving all guest a free day lol

Last minute deciding to visit Dollywood today and Wednesday (bought season passes for use all next year as well)! Crossing my fingers that on my fifth and sixth visits to the park since LR opened, we'll get a ride in. Also looking forward to the lights, shows, and cinnamon bread.