TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Hey guys...I'll be visiting Pigeon Forge/Nashville next month and plan on going to Dollywood on Thanksgiving day. It's my first time there, so obviously I'm not very familiar with the park layout, lines, etc. The park is only open from 4-9 and I'm a little worried that I won't have enough time to hit all the roller coasters. Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Posted Images

Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

If you just want to hit coasters you won't have a problem at all. Hit Lightning Rod first (for a variety of reasons). Then if you want to be strategic hit Firechaser next followed by Mystery Mine but honestly if you just want to follow the loop you'll be fine too. It really doesn't matter that much.

You're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not seeing any shows though.

Heading to the park tomorrow. Am I able to pay for parking with a credit card? Just want to make sure or I'll stop by a ATM on the way up.

Thanks

If you get a ride on the train, see what you see for yourself as far as the land movement. I think I’m more interested in that myself than I am with whatever is happening to River Battle haha

I honestly think river battle is just going to be the junction to the new area. It's the closest area to the service road. Their plan a few years ago had one of the junctions where fire chaser links to the service road so that will be the back junction and the front one will the river battle site

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

If you just want to hit coasters you won't have a problem at all. Hit Lightning Rod first (for a variety of reasons). Then if you want to be strategic hit Firechaser next followed by Mystery Mine but honestly if you just want to follow the loop you'll be fine too. It really doesn't matter that much.

You're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not seeing any shows though.

Thank you for the help. I feel you about the shows, they've just never been my thing.

If Kendrick was playing, however....

Hey guys...I'll be visiting Pigeon Forge/Nashville next month and plan on going to Dollywood on Thanksgiving day. It's my first time there, so obviously I'm not very familiar with the park layout, lines, etc. The park is only open from 4-9 and I'm a little worried that I won't have enough time to hit all the roller coasters. Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

You'll be fine...I'm betting on a light day crowd-wise. But I could be wrong....like stated, go straight to LR first. I'm thinking if it's having a bad day they won't move aggressively on a fix or maybe not have the maintenance manpower to do so on a holiday. Have fun, amazing park! Great theming and people, as well. And most important, get the cinnamon bread

Heading to the park tomorrow. Am I able to pay for parking with a credit card? Just want to make sure or I'll stop by a ATM on the way up.

Thanks

If you get a ride on the train, see what you see for yourself as far as the land movement. I think I’m more interested in that myself than I am with whatever is happening to River Battle haha

So I didn't make it on the train yesterday but I was able to see pretty much all that was going on from the taller rides in the park. Here's a map overlay from what they are clearing to and it looks like they are connecting to the road access behind FCE. The hill between River Battle and the access road is at least 50 feet high, I just don't see how they are going to connect them with out a bunch of switchbacks or maybe a bridge or something. My guess is the access road will be the path for this side of the park and they will build a new path down by Thunderhead which is more of a gentle slope but this is all of a guess. Hopefully River Battle will become a awesome flat ride which would be a nice addition in that area.

Dollywood.thumb.png.d3dff801066b11157149a68936ad22b2.png

Forgot to mention got my second ride on Lighting Rod yesterday and this time from the front seat. It was nice not to have to worry if it was going to break down waiting a few turns for the front row. Was running one train but trains where only going out 3/4 full. I was surprised that they still had the RMC sandwich board out front notifying people of past problems.

Truly a world class ride!

Just got a few questions here:

Thinking about making the trip up to Dollywood for Smoky Mountain Christmas in early November for the first time. Any tips/info are appreciated!

1. I haven't really followed this thread enough to form a strong consensus. But is Lightning Rod operating most every day recently? We've not had good luck, so that's gonna be a slight factor in our decision to head up there this time.

2. I can buy season passes at the event that are good for admission this year and also unlimited access through end of next year? If this is the case, we'll almost certainly be going because we can go this year for Christmas, next summer and next Christmas two days each and easily get our money's worth. I just don't see any info yet online about 2018 season passes. Does that come out just once the Christmas event starts?

3. Crowds are pretty manageable for the event early on during the week? Thinking of going November 7th and 8th.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Just got a few questions here:

Thinking about making the trip up to Dollywood for Smoky Mountain Christmas in early November for the first time. Any tips/info are appreciated!

1. I haven't really followed this thread enough to form a strong consensus. But is Lightning Rod operating most every day recently? We've not had good luck, so that's gonna be a slight factor in our decision to head up there this time.

2. I can buy season passes at the event that are good for admission this year and also unlimited access through end of next year? If this is the case, we'll almost certainly be going because we can go this year for Christmas, next summer and next Christmas two days each and easily get our money's worth. I just don't see any info yet online about 2018 season passes. Does that come out just once the Christmas event starts?

3. Crowds are pretty manageable for the event early on during the week? Thinking of going November 7th and 8th.

Thanks for the help, guys!

1.Lightning Rod has been running pretty consistent. On the busier weekend days, they can run two trains. The last time I remember it being down was due to a lightning strike (oh the irony).

2. Season Passes purchased during the Christmas Time are good through the next year. I suggest one of you in your group to get a Gold Pass. It allows free parking and 20% off merch. and food. If you plan on buying your passes inside the park, keep your parking receipt and they will deduct the price from your Gold Pass.

3. Weekday crowds are manageable due to school. If the weather is nice like last year, expect record crowds on weekends. Rides will stay open unless it gets below 40ish.

I know it was mentioned a few posts back, but make time to see the shows. I make it a point to visit on Christmas just to see the shows.

So I'm an idiot and drove to Dollywood today before checking their hours to see them closed! Why not keep the Halloween stuff open until Halloween! Heck, even SFOG is open today and tomorrow! Lol

Dollywood has the 2018 Season Pass Deal up on Dollywood.com. They have the 6 month payment plan and buy 2018 and get this Christmas Free.

For the past few years, they have also given bring a friend free tickets at Christmas with the renewal of a pass. Any word on that promotion?

So I'm an idiot and drove to Dollywood today before checking their hours to see them closed! Why not keep the Halloween stuff open until Halloween! Heck, even SFOG is open today and tomorrow! Lol

I've done that once before, but thankfully it was on the way to another park so I didn't go out of my way. Hopefully it wasn't too long of a drive, but it certainly taught me a lesson.

^ As a huge Christmas light fanatic, that was an interesting read!! Thanks for sharing!!

...they begin installing lights in July...

Now, my neighbors need to stop complaining when I start installing lights on my house in September!

Some of the lights never come down either I have seen some of the lights still up in April lol

^ As a huge Christmas light fanatic, that was an interesting read!! Thanks for sharing!!

Now, my neighbors need to stop complaining when I start installing lights on my house in September!

Thank you so much. It was really cool to see the behind the scenes work that goes on to make it happen. I got some more articles to come and I hope to answer more ride questions in some of them.

Thank you so much. It was really cool to see the behind the scenes work that goes on to make it happen. I got some more articles to come and I hope to answer more ride questions in some of them.

Ride questions such as?

^Not exactly sure what you are asking. Last year, for each season pass bought you got three buddy passes. One pass was good during the Smoky Mountain Christmas Festival, one was available during a time period in Spring (something like late April - Mid May) and the last one was available from August 14th - September 1st.

Edited by ernierocker
With the 'bring a friend' promotion... Can each pass holder use both on one day? Ie- four friends come in to the park?
Like Ernierocker said, last year each pass had a date range it had to be used during.. so if you got two friend passes for buying a season pass one had to be used during date range a and the second during date range b. Simple answer is no, they couldn't be used at the same time.

It might change this year but I doubt it.. friend passes have worked this way for several years.. I never use mine

Gotcha gotcha. Thanks guys! That makes a lot more sense. I saw last year one of the date ranges was like April 22-May 22, but couldn't find another range so assumed you could use both friend passes then.

Ride questions such as?

I’ve got a couple of ride articles coming, due to the confidentiality agreement I can’t share the titles are anything about them till they come out. If you have any ride questions you want answered I can always ask and see if I can do an article on it.