TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

Idk lol, I just know when the rumor came up last year and earlier this season IOE said it wasn't happening.. with that being said, this was much earlier in the year when they said it, after the long spout of downtime. Something could of changed this summer..

But again, all we have to go by is video, amature video at that, enthusiast and riders like us and the only semi official people is IOE

I have noticed that it does feel like it slows down more at the top but is it just in my mind! I have hundreds of rides on it by now so it very well could be

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Posted Images

Edit: the video links posted on the previous page do a good job with showing how different the speeds are.

it's hot as hell outside so that's my excuse that i actually watched both videos with my stopwatch app open. i sure don't see those two videos being any different. if it has slowed down, those videos aren't the proof, that's for sure.

Edit: the video links posted on the previous page do a good job with showing how different the speeds are.

it's hot as hell outside so that's my excuse that i actually watched both videos with my stopwatch app open. i sure don't see those two videos being any different. if it has slowed down, those videos aren't the proof, that's for sure.

Never said it's the best comparison, but it's something. When I get home from Dorney on Sunday I'll post my videos I have from August and from December which does a much better job. I love the ride guys, just remember that, but the trims are obvious once you ride it.

I rode LR last summer (June or July) and I could clearly feel the train slowing down at the top (I was expecting some ejector airtime at the top of the launch, but there wasn't much). The launch is only there for the rush of the acceleration... It's not there to throw you over the top.

A lot of the time, you wont notice little things like this until someone tells you to. It never bugged you until someone here said the slowdown was new, now you're letting it bum you out of enjoying a great ride.

Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't ridden it this year. But unless it damn-near stalls over the hill (according to videos, it doesn't) you're imagining it.

Also, I'm one of the few who really like splash battles. I had a blast last summer running up to the guns on the sidewalk to soak the riders. Shame to see it go but I'm sure they have something great planned.

I personally don't care about the trims being there or not, just trying to get people to realize they exist. It could have a painfully slow chain lift and it would probably still be my favorite coaster. All I'm saying is that the trims are there (probably for the better, or they wouldn't be there at all) and as long as that quadruple down exists, it'll remain a favorite of mine for a long time.

Edit: I'm also one of those people that loved River Battle. I've ridden it a bunch since my first visit in 2015. Does anyone know if any other rides like it are still around?

Back in June I rode it when all the rumors were flying around about them slowing down the launch. This is a review I wrote. At no time did I hear or feel trims after the launch. What people are probably feeling is the deceleration while traveling vertical between the end of the launch and the top of the hill. I have ridden it about 5 times since writing this and I still have this opinion...

" (June 19,2017) Ok! Got three laps on it today. Lines were low and did 3 within an hour. First time was row 3, Second was very back and this was row 6 or 7.

To give a little background, I have had season passes to DW since 2011 and watched Eagle being built. Last year when I got wind of LR testing, I let my kids skip school and we rode it on the second day of operations. Since then I stopped counting after 20 rides. Every row and day and night.

Here's my humble opinion of the launch. From what I remember in the past...

On the flat part before the lift, there used to be two LSM's now there is only one. Im guessing its just to get it to the hill. When you watch the train go up from the station, the one thing noticeable is that it does go slower over the first of the "Dolly humps." When the train comes down the quad, its still hauling and you can see the reaction of people being blown away by the ride.

When riding it , I felt that the launch seemed more forceful going up but the launch seemed to stop earlier. From the front seat, the airtime was almost non existent on the false drop and you floated down the big drop. From the back seat, it was more ejector through the first two humps. You can tell it was slowed a tad.

The wave turn was a nice floater in any seat and the top hat was just as intense as before. After that, the train still hauled through the quad but the difference being is that with a little less speed your thighs dont get bruised and rerides are more enjoyable.

My verdict (IMHO) is that they did slow it down. But not enough to affect the ride and a majority of the GP would never notice it. The ride still kicks arse!!! "

A lot of the time, you wont notice little things like this until someone tells you to. It never bugged you until someone here said the slowdown was new, now you're letting it bum you out of enjoying a great ride.

Amen. Confirmation Bias at its finest. I rode it a lot last year, early this year, and a few days after it came back up from the month of downtime that caused all of these rumors. The launch feels exactly the same. FWIW, there are so many more intense elements on this coaster AFTER the crest that provide the REAL airtime... people need to get over all of this nonsensical drama about this coaster. Yeah, I'm always looking to get new information about it because I honestly find these things interesting, but I'm not interested in resurrecting a rumor that was CONFIRMED false by the park itself. I have yet to hear from one person who rode it BOTH last year and this year AFTER the rumors started confirm there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in speed. In any case it doesn't matter, slower launch or not, it's still balls to the walls insane. I'm still shocked this rumor has people going in with low expectations. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as dramatic and maybe defensive, I'm not trying to put any single person down, I'm just saying we need to get over it.

Rode Lightning Rod for the first time today (3 rides so far). It's running two train operation now.

Can't comment on whether it was faster before. But I can say that there's little to no airtime going over the humps at the top, unless your sitting near the back on the second hump. The rest of the ride was just as good as everyone describes it.

Also, after reading this thread, I decided to try the cinnamon bread for the first time. And I think I enjoyed that even more than Lightning Rod.

To be perfectly honest, I never recall the airtime over the first hump to be that strong in the first place.

This. When I rode it 10+ times last September I remember the airtime on the first hump and drop to be underwhelming compared to El Toro, even in the back seat. That being said, the airtime only gets stronger on the ride with each consecutive hill. I remember strong floater on the drop. Cool strong sideways airtime on the next two elements, and then beautiful ejector on the twist and shout. From that point on is an insane onslaught of ejector.

Edit: I'm also one of those people that loved River Battle. I've ridden it a bunch since my first visit in 2015. Does anyone know if any other rides like it are still around?

SDC still has theirs!!

And SFGAm as well

It's noticeable, but all of the other ride elements keep getting better. I'd rather have a tad less airtime at the top of the hill rather than constant down time and 1 train operations. But just my opinion lol

To be perfectly honest, I never recall the airtime over the first hump to be that strong in the first place.

This. When I rode it 10+ times last September I remember the airtime on the first hump and drop to be underwhelming compared to El Toro, even in the back seat. That being said, the airtime only gets stronger on the ride with each consecutive hill. I remember strong floater on the drop. Cool strong sideways airtime on the next two elements, and then beautiful ejector on the twist and shout. From that point on is an insane onslaught of ejector.

Exactly, I honestly think the rumor just made people notice something that was never there in the first place. The launch in general is just a huge burst of speed, and it's really difficult to comprehend unless you go overthinking every moment of it. I love the crest of the actual drop, but I never remember anything wowing about the first crest into the false drop.

I just got back from a weekend at the park, and everything was amazing. I had last been to Dollywood the year Thunderhead opened and was really excited to see how much they'd expanded since then. It is honestly the most beautiful park, I think, and it's setting really just can't be beat. It was drizzling Saturday afternoon into evening so somehow, despite being the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, crowds were almost non-existant. Crowds Sunday were heavier but we just checked out some shows and ate cinnamon bread.

All the rides were great. Mystery Mine I really enjoyed despite it being a little jerky. Wild Eagle was really cool up top on the ridge, and Firechaser was a fun not-so-little family ride. Thunderhead was a little less wild and a bit rougher than I remember (13 extra years will do that though), and Tennessee Tornado was just as fun as it was.

Lightning Rod was insane. I was just laughing the entire time. It was my first RMC and very, very good. It does seem to be running two trains consistently and had minimal downtime when we were there.

On our last ride we had an interesting experience. They loaded the train, and then unloaded them and made people go back into the queue. It wasn't a maintenance issue but a safety one. A guy had gotten injured by a loose item that flew off the ride. (Not even two minutes after I said that if ever there was a ride to have a strict no loose article policy on, a la SFGAdv, it'd be this one.) They shut down the ride for awhile while the medical staff came and filled out paperwork. The guy was fine and walked away, but it took quite a while. They also ended up transferring that train off the tracks to inspect the body for damage. We did talk to a ride op for quite a bit, and he said he sees this happen every single day, specifically people sitting on their phones thinking they'll be fine. I'm inclined to believe him because our first ride we saw a phone fly out on the quad down. I also asked him about the strange not-pushing-down-the-bar policy, and he said it's because they could injure the rider or damage the ride. I mentioned that I had seen ops helping someone on WE, and he said that while it is the policy across Dollywood that because of Lightning Rod's extreme nature, it is the most strictly enforced there. So take that for what you will. As a final comment about the ride there is definitely quite a jerk at the bottom of the first drop that gets worse as you go further back.

And regarding River Battle I am not surprised at all they are taking it out. The app never showed anything other than a 0 minute wait while we were there whereas the other water rides were pulling 25-30 minutes. I saw maybe 6 people ride it the entire time I was there. But overall I had a great two days and it definitely won't be another decade before I get back!

I just got back from a weekend at the park, and everything was amazing. I had last been to Dollywood the year Thunderhead opened and was really excited to see how much they'd expanded since then. It is honestly the most beautiful park, I think, and it's setting really just can't be beat. It was drizzling Saturday afternoon into evening so somehow, despite being the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, crowds were almost non-existant. Crowds Sunday were heavier but we just checked out some shows and ate cinnamon bread.

All the rides were great. Mystery Mine I really enjoyed despite it being a little jerky. Wild Eagle was really cool up top on the ridge, and Firechaser was a fun not-so-little family ride. Thunderhead was a little less wild and a bit rougher than I remember (13 extra years will do that though), and Tennessee Tornado was just as fun as it was.

Lightning Rod was insane. I was just laughing the entire time. It was my first RMC and very, very good. It does seem to be running two trains consistently and had minimal downtime when we were there.

On our last ride we had an interesting experience. They loaded the train, and then unloaded them and made people go back into the queue. It wasn't a maintenance issue but a safety one. A guy had gotten injured by a loose item that flew off the ride. (Not even two minutes after I said that if ever there was a ride to have a strict no loose article policy on, a la SFGAdv, it'd be this one.) They shut down the ride for awhile while the medical staff came and filled out paperwork. The guy was fine and walked away, but it took quite a while. They also ended up transferring that train off the tracks to inspect the body for damage. We did talk to a ride op for quite a bit, and he said he sees this happen every single day, specifically people sitting on their phones thinking they'll be fine. I'm inclined to believe him because our first ride we saw a phone fly out on the quad down. I also asked him about the strange not-pushing-down-the-bar policy, and he said it's because they could injure the rider or damage the ride. I mentioned that I had seen ops helping someone on WE, and he said that while it is the policy across Dollywood that because of Lightning Rod's extreme nature, it is the most strictly enforced there. So take that for what you will. As a final comment about the ride there is definitely quite a jerk at the bottom of the first drop that gets worse as you go further back.

And regarding River Battle I am not surprised at all they are taking it out. The app never showed anything other than a 0 minute wait while we were there whereas the other water rides were pulling 25-30 minutes. I saw maybe 6 people ride it the entire time I was there. But overall I had a great two days and it definitely won't be another decade before I get back!

That's common, a lot of the downtime can be contributed to folks getting hurt or hit due to flying objects. I know a few of us have posted very similar occurrences in this thread and it normally takes about 30 - 45 mins to get the ride up and running again.. Depending on what flew out, they walk the track as well.. they probably did it while u were there to and that could take a few while also..

I wish people would just follow the rules or wish Dollywood would be more strict if they catch someone not following the rules.. it hurts everyone when one bad apple doesn't want to let go of their phone!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk