TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

I moved to Missouri a few years ago and the first time I discovered a cicada, it was while taking out the garbage and I inadvertently kicked one sitting on the ground. The noise is just indescribable. It startled me so badly I swear I was channeling Michael Jackson with the moves I was making, holding two garbage bags no less.

I can't even imagine one striking one mid-ride, they are pretty big and very solid.

Hahaha! I can believe it! We have them in Virginia too so I'm used to them but they absolutely sound like a rattlesnake. The incident was comical and I think I would have pissed my pants had I not known what it was. This one was not only massive in size but also in perversion... who smacks a lady in the dark on a wooded mountainside at 11PM right in the crotch and then goes for the back door?! I mean really!

I have a lot to report on our day at Dollywood yesterday. It was so beautiful out that I was snapping away all day and have some good pics to post too. Might have time to type it up in a bit but not sure so I'll leave you with this: PUT ALL YOUR CRAP IN THE BINS ON RIDES! My SO's wallet went flying out of his buttoned pocket on LR yesterday 20 minutes after we arrived at the park and has not been recovered yet. Something else got lost as well (Bert knows - don't spoil it!) but that second item was eventually located. It was quite a memorable day for many reasons and despite it all, we can't wait to go back.

TN is generally first or second week of August. We here in MO are mostly 2nd week, my kids start Aug 10. I dont know offhand what the states closer to Dollywood start at but seems likely to be a similar time frame.

Sevier County (the one DOllywood is in) starts August 16th.

I moved to Missouri a few years ago and the first time I discovered a cicada, it was while taking out the garbage and I inadvertently kicked one sitting on the ground. The noise is just indescribable. It startled me so badly I swear I was channeling Michael Jackson with the moves I was making, holding two garbage bags no less.

I can't even imagine one striking one mid-ride, they are pretty big and very solid.

Hahaha! I can believe it! We have them in Virginia too so I'm used to them but they absolutely sound like a rattlesnake. The incident was comical and I think I would have pissed my pants had I not known what it was. This one was not only massive in size but also in perversion... who smacks a lady in the dark on a wooded mountainside at 11PM right in the crotch and then goes for the back door?! I mean really!

I have a lot to report on our day at Dollywood yesterday. It was so beautiful out that I was snapping away all day and have some good pics to post too. Might have time to type it up in a bit but not sure so I'll leave you with this: PUT ALL YOUR CRAP IN THE BINS ON RIDES! My SO's wallet went flying out of his buttoned pocket on LR yesterday 20 minutes after we arrived at the park and has not been recovered yet. Something else got lost as well (Bert knows - don't spoil it!) but that second item was eventually located. It was quite a memorable day for many reasons and despite it all, we can't wait to go back.

I told you, they are demonic, lol!!

Schools in St Lou start mostly the week of the 14th. I'm sure that is what is affecting the closures. As much due to loss of all the teen employees as reduced attendance. SFStl calendar coincides precisely with the 2 biggest districts in west St Louis county.

And Blount County has already started.. they are a neighboring county. You can tell local schools are starting back, I'm here today and parking is only half of lot C.. LR only has a fifteen min wait.. when school starts, it'll be a walk-on or was last year

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

What days will you be in Dollywood? Im going to be there on the 13th and 14th of August.

With luck I'll be there on Monday, the 14th. I'll have my kid in tow and we'll be hightailing it over to LR as soon as we get there, knock on wood that the uptime is still remaining steady by then. *fingers crossed*

Wow, schools start early around Dollywood. Most schools in my area don't start until at least the 23rd.

I don't understand why they are open Wednesdays but not Tuesday or Thursday. I am sure they have their reasons, but I wouldn't think many people would go on a Wednesday if they can't visit the park on Tuesday or Thursday. The Wednesdays would be great days for the locals to go.

What days will you be in Dollywood? Im going to be there on the 13th and 14th of August.

With luck I'll be there on Monday, the 14th. I'll have my kid in tow and we'll be hightailing it over to LR as soon as we get there, knock on wood that the uptime is still remaining steady by then. *fingers crossed*

For sure, I'll probably see you there!

My friend is at Dollywood right now and texts me "This park sucks and is a waste of fucking time" I need new friends

It is probably because it looks like Rod is down again after the good week and a half long run it had. It went down early yesterday, it has not opened back up yet. Damn it.

LR hadn't been opening up with the park recently but usually between 11-12. We went straight over in the morning anyway and once we saw some action we started a line. Let us know how it goes, I hope it's working for you! It's a heck of a coaster and once I started learning the forces and track layout it got better and better with each ride.

Rod opened with the park today and it is running great! I ended up getting 14 laps today thanks to the Unimited Timesaver. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to beat the crowds. My nighttime rides were really spectacular. You really do drop into a super abyss of darkness. My final ride happened to be in the front row. Overall favorite row is row 11. The airtime is just unreal, especially after it warms up a bit.

IMG_8434.thumb.JPG.98cd6ada135db0fdf411e8c22ca0a99a.JPG

It does get a bit darker than this. It is unreal at night. Tonight was the final 10:00pm closing night of the summer.

I'm sure the torrential downpours we keep having, or even the threat of them aren't helping! I'd imagine the park has under 1000 guest today, probably barely into lot C

Last week was pretty dead to though with one day wait times bouncing between 15 - 30 mins

By September it will be a walk-on.. it was several times in September last year and even into October.. i go a lot during Sept and Oct ans had plenty of rides last year on it! I'd Iimagine October will be much more crowded this year with the new festival! I mean they are going to open more for it than they are in December for Christmas haha so I'm sure they hope it's busy

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I was one of the lucky people in the park today. I had something like 6 rides on Lightning Rod today, and multiple re-rides on everything else. I got my first ever ride on Lightning Rod last night, and was happy to see it open today with no issues, though only 1 train. Maybe I'll post a trip report when I get back from vacation if I remember.

I was at the park this morning for about 3 1/2 hours. Everything was a walk on including Rod. The combination of it being the start of the off season and the rain storm that hit around 2:00 kept people away. I was able to score 4 more rides on Rod before heading out. I finally went around to ride several of the Alpine Coasters in the area. Those are fun.

Edited by Erik Johnson

Since it's kinda the start of usual pre construction season, what does everyone think the park will do for 2018? I don't see Splash Country getting another slide next year, just because they typically skip around on splash country. We already have DreamMore so that's checked off the list. We have Drop Line which is a fantastic addition. What could be next? I was at the park last week and I didn't really see any construction, dozing, or anything of that sort. I rode the train looking for expanding areas or hidden things and I seen crates but you can't really tell right now if they are crates for the fireworks or something else. I took a picture over the fence where it says "it all began here" and it is just a black floor with your typical office style ceiling. Like it literally looks like it was a conference room or break room. As far as work behind it, it just looks like something had slid and they fixed it. I don't yet see them moving into the train loop even if they do. That's always been the typical photo op of the smokies and that field.