Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Posted Images

Bad News, Good News... I have a good feeling it will be sometime next week before we see it open back for GP to ride. They are doing some serious testing hopefully working out the problems and coming up with some solutions to the issues plaguing LR. I know that suck for those now through the weekend, but hopefully it will be better long run.

Is that a gut feeling or...? (I'm going this weekend and really hoping it's open.)

The only thing I can say is don't go this weekend hoping it's open as that's not the plan. The good news is it's seems to be testing great and anything could happen. Sorry I can't be anymore help then that as I can't revile my source.

Where did you end up having lunch and how was it?

Everywhere was super busy so we just ended up getting a pulled pork burger and chicken tenders, pretty average. Can't remember what the place was called.

We had a good two days at the park, we just had to try keep lightning rod out of our minds. Might come back in 5 years or so, it should be reliable by then.

So I just talked to Grandpa and the boy. They talked to one of the maintenance guys while the boy longingly watched LRod test for about an hour. He said that they were "fine tuning" so that they could correct the consistency problems and run at full capacity. If the speculation on this thread is correct about weight/sensors then perhaps they are just keeping it down until they can reliably run it with a full train. He said a week or so. Take out of that what you all will, but that's the report I got.

Good news is my son said he loved the park and all the other coasters and is looking forward to coming back in the future and hopefully finally getting to ride the damn thing. Oh and they did find the Smokey Mountain Coaster. So he added 9 to his count this week, bringing him up to 86, which means he will hit #100 when we go to SFMM in a few weeks.

I've got a bit of an odd souvenir-related question. I went to Dollywood recently and bought one of the name mugs for a friend, but it broke on the way back, and I'm nowhere near Pigeon Forge normally. Is there anyone here who is

1) Going to Dollywood soon anyway

2) Willing to pick up a name mug and ship it if I reimburse you for your troubles?

Call Dollywood.. I had a friend once who had a quality issue with something, they called Dollywood and they replaced it over he phone.. I'd imagine they might be able to sell you one over the phone to? It'll be a few weeks before I'm back to Dollywood (very busy month at work) or I'd love to help you out.. I bet Dollywood can take care of you though!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the night ride suggestions! We'll be there for Saturday and it's open a little later. We're going back for the first half of Sunday before our flight home so that would be cool if LR miraculously opens this weekend.

Lightning Rod has been testing with 2 full trains. They're sending them out fast.

This is the best news I've heard all day! We're headed to DW in 3 weeks and I'm really hoping to get at least one ride on LR.

Based on what I'm seeing today, I think you should be good in 3 weeks. I'm hopeful they'll get it running by Tuesday but I'm not too sure how lucky I'll be.

Yeah, I'll be there Tuesday as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well. I got super lucky last year with it, and a repeat of that would be top.