TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Okay, I know I read somewhere that supposedly someone talked to a worker on the project at DW and they said it was going to be like the "new coaster that just opened in Italy"...but to me looking at that track, it looks like the rails are towards the bottom of the track structure, it's blurry and I could be seeing things. If indeed that were to be the case, with the rails on the bottom of the track, could we be looking at the worlds largest inverted roller coaster instead of a wing rider? I'm only going by what I think I see. Take a look again and let me know if I am seeing things, like I said it is blurry.

They can store track in any direction they please - just because it's resting on the rails doesn't mean it's an invert.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The picture posted by QueerRudie on page 121, 2nd post from the bottom, of the "clue" picture not of the track being stored on site.

The full dive machine trains are so different than the wing riders that you can't really compare them for this.The wheel base on the dive machines is so much wider and the track gauge too, also the type of track layouts that the Dive Machines navigate seem to be tamer than the wing riders. Just based on some pictures I've seen I would bet that there is more stress on the Wing Rider train than on the floorless dive machine train.

Not really, same thing, even though DM trains are really heavy, it means they make a ton of friction. Ever wonder why DMs are so short? Even though other trains are really light, they don't make as much friction.

Dive machines have to be short because the trains are so wide. The wide trains create a massive frontal surface area, increasing the drag force against the trains' movement. The Wing Coaster trains are more aerodynamic because instead of having one large flat surface area, they have two small flat areas (the seat assemblies) and one aerodynamic area (the front).

There would be more stress on the outer seats of the Wing Coaster train than on the Dive Coaster train because there is less weight in the center of the train over the track. The seats on the Wing Coaster trains (along with the Intamin Wing Rider seats) most likely bend ever so slightly in the downward direction (making a concave-down parabola, albeit a very slight one) due to the stress.

Putting extra weight in the center wouldn't really do any good, because you would end up having a train with the weight of three dive coaster trains and the capacity of one.

So, the Wing Coasters with their light-ish trains can't have extreme stress or else they could cause a great deal of problems. They could if the seats were braced in more places with stronger materials, but that would increase the weight.

I don't. I just imagined the trains with eight or ten seats across instead of four.

I'm no expert, I'm a student. I'm just applying what I know about drag and stress.

There would be more stress on the outer seats of the Wing Coaster train than on the Dive Coaster train because there is less weight in the center of the train over the track. The seats on the Wing Coaster trains (along with the Intamin Wing Rider seats) most likely bend ever so slightly in the downward direction (making a concave-down parabola, albeit a very slight one) due to the stress.

Putting extra weight in the center wouldn't really do any good, because you would end up having a train with the weight of three dive coaster trains and the capacity of one.

So, the Wing Coasters with their light-ish trains can't have extreme stress or else they could cause a great deal of problems. They could if the seats were braced in more places with stronger materials, but that would increase the weight.

Exactly what I was trying to say about the trains, I don't think the wing trains can handle a lot of stress without having a lot of problems (one of the reasons the first two wing riders are relatively small in size and speed), the same kind of stresses that would be created by the forces associated with having the worlds largest loop (traditional vertical loop).

The record might be highest inversion or something especially if they use the terrain to their advantage and have a first drop like Swarm's concept art looked like, but I don't know if the wing rider trains can handle the largest vertical loop especially if it involves the train having to travel at 65+ mph to do so.

Regarding the pic of the track with the catwalk bracket, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for the fun of it. On DW's track, are the brackets on both sides? As it stands right now, they could only be on the one side, for a single catwalk.

How big they can go versus the stresses on the trains will be interesting to watch develope. I am curious, did anyone see the new Intamin trains coming? Maybe B&M has a new train coming. I think the Wingrider trains could very well be limited to rides not much bigger than the existing WR designs.

I feel like everyone is forgetting, the bigger you go, the bigger the inversions. If you scale something up in size and keep all the proportions, the only thing that increases is the speed, and height. The forces will stay the same. For instance, if you had a 100 foot tall loop on Wing Rider A and Wing Rider B was a scaled up version of Wing Rider A with a 200 foot tall loop. The forces would still be the same but the rides speed would increase, but also the size of the inversion which balances out the forces.

^ I agree that the forces the riders experience would be the same (maybe not the same but similar), but the stresses on the track and the assemblies within the train will increase as the size and speed of the ride increases. The increased height means more speed, more force, more friction more vibration etc.

Yeah, it is going to be interesting to see how big B&M designs their wing riders in the future. All the reports I read of X-Raptor was that it was a lot of fun but not really that thrilling or intense, and most of the focus was on the interaction with the elaborate themeing which looks awesome. I don't know how intense of a ride that train can ever produce but it should be fun to watch this design develop in the future.

I feel like everyone is forgetting, the bigger you go, the bigger the inversions. If you scale something up in size and keep all the proportions, the only thing that increases is the speed, and height. The forces will stay the same. For instance, if you had a 100 foot tall loop on Wing Rider A and Wing Rider B was a scaled up version of Wing Rider A with a 200 foot tall loop. The forces would still be the same but the rides speed would increase, but also the size of the inversion which balances out the forces.

While the forces will stay roughly the same, the actual rider experience will differ greatly due to the longer duration spent within the element. I particularly enjoy bigger inversions which give you longer to soak up the forces involved. Of course, you may have been talking about something else as I have only read this page. And yes, higher speeds tend to cause increased wear and tear.

^ I really hope you're right. I have concerns. A very typical feeling B&M wouldn't do much for me. I always ride outside on the Dive coasters, if they don't do something to change the layout I fear it will be a similar ride after the drop. Dollywood needs a new steel coaster and I'm sure it will work out great for them. However, if it boils down to world's tallest inversion and a Similar layout to Swarm, I won't be very interested.

All the hype leading up to Cheetah Hunt didn't exactly pan out. A new breed of speed it is not. I like the ride but it was a lot more of a family ride than I was originally expecting. Cheetah Hunt got me to drive to BGT one time, when I got my pass in January I was expecting to wear the thing out. Dollywood of course will build their ride based on a buisness model that will work for them and that's what they should do. I am just hoping for a coaster riders ride and not something kind of "gimicky".

Chris "just getting a little tired of similar riding loopers when there are soooooooo many other possibilities" Ford

Woo Hoo! TPR have been personally invited by Dolly Parton for a special Dollywood announcement! AWESOME!!!!

We have started our countdown clock here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=184&linkid=10915

[flash=400,350]http://www.dollywood.com/dollywood2012/fromdolly/robbalvey/countdown_01.swf

And check out this personal message from Dolly herself!

dolly.jpg.jpg.951ca55ad92d31a3657adba820f050bf.jpg

Edited by robbalvey