TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

That's what we are calling a failure to launch and not rollback.. there is a better video on YouTube that shows exactly what is happening then (when the train launches that high but stops).. a fin pops up and stops the train before the launch on the lift hill engages.. the prelaunch sends the train onto the hill as seen in your video then a fin pops up and stops the launch like a safety feature kicks in and says STOP

I'm sure you can find the video if you search the forum.. it clearly shows a close-up of the train and the fin stopping it. Just like your video but closer

I mean, in the video you posted, technically it is rolling back but not due to the LSM not having power to launch it.. it's rolling back because the ride stops the train before the lifts launch kicks in

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Yup, I've seen a few of the failed launches before.

I've only seen one true rollback, it was maybe 50ft from cresting before it just stopped and started rolling back to the bottom. They evaced everyone off, and re-launched a few times.. the ride then opened back up for the rest of the day.

Theoretically, in the event of a "true" rollback, they attempt relaunching the train before evacing (similar to TTD). This is what a ride op has told me anyways, I believe the one exception is if it's the first public riders of the day, etc.

Just left the park and LR has been testing 2 trains nonstop all day. That seems like a good sign to me.

Sounds great! They couldn't keep it up for more than 45 mins at a time a few weeks back, so if they've been going non-stop with dummies that is definitely a good sign.

Just left the park and LR has been testing 2 trains nonstop all day. That seems like a good sign to me.

Sounds like a good sign to me too!! Maybe there is hope for my late July visit after all!

I wonder if they have made enough changes to the train that requires them to cycle it so many times? Interesting thought anyways

They're probably just trying to simulate peak capacity to get it running consistently.

The fact that they're testing both with and without dummies suggests (to me anyways) that they are trying to test a large combination of weight differences, etc.

I just wish they would figure it out and fix the coaster already. My girlfriend went up there this weekend a hoping to get on the ride (having no idea that the thing is always closed) and it has remained closed for at least over a week from what I understand, its disappointing to have the flagship coaster of a park NEVER operating.

OK guys based on the report of testing I am hoping for a miracle tomorrow. Our home park is SFSTL but my son (who is nearing his 100th coaster) talked Grandpa into a quick road trip to Gatlinburg. They agreed on one day at Dollywood for the boy and one day of hiking in the mountains for Grandpa. So, tomorrow is the one chance to ride L Rod. I got them fastpasses, convinced him that based on what everyone was saying it probably wouldn't be open, don't get your hopes up, don't let it ruin the trip, you'll get another chance sometime we aren't that far away, yada, yada, yada.........all the things Mom's tell their kids. Now I am really hoping if they tested all day today, there's a chance it will be open.

If it is, he will certainly text me asap after riding it and I will post the good news for everyone.

I got them fastpasses, convinced him that based on what everyone was saying it probably wouldn't be open, don't get your hopes up, don't let it ruin the trip, you'll get another chance sometime we aren't that far away, yada, yada, yada.........all the things Mom's tell their kids. Now I am really hoping if they tested all day today, there's a chance it will be open. If it is, he will certainly text me asap after riding it and I will post the good news for everyone.

You're a good mom! Fingers crossed they can get a ride on it

OK guys based on the report of testing I am hoping for a miracle tomorrow. Our home park is SFSTL but my son (who is nearing his 100th coaster) talked Grandpa into a quick road trip to Gatlinburg. They agreed on one day at Dollywood for the boy and one day of hiking in the mountains for Grandpa. So, tomorrow is the one chance to ride L Rod. I got them fastpasses, convinced him that based on what everyone was saying it probably wouldn't be open, don't get your hopes up, don't let it ruin the trip, you'll get another chance sometime we aren't that far away, yada, yada, yada.........all the things Mom's tell their kids. Now I am really hoping if they tested all day today, there's a chance it will be open.

If it is, he will certainly text me asap after riding it and I will post the good news for everyone.

I'd go in expecting LR to be closed for the day and diverting attention far, far away if possible. There's night rides on mountain coasters after DW closes if needed to hype.

Please keep us updated on testing!

I'm considering going tomorrow, doubtful LR will be open.. but still interested nonetheless.

I'm gonna get hate for this.. but I just don't find the cinnamon bread as amazing as a lot of folks here. I mean, it's good (and I love it with apple butter!), don't get me wrong.. but it's just frozen bread with some butter and cinnamon.

Some people just want to watch the world burn

I got them fastpasses, convinced him that based on what everyone was saying it probably wouldn't be open, don't get your hopes up, don't let it ruin the trip, you'll get another chance sometime we aren't that far away, yada, yada, yada.........all the things Mom's tell their kids. Now I am really hoping if they tested all day today, there's a chance it will be open. If it is, he will certainly text me asap after riding it and I will post the good news for everyone.

You're a good mom! Fingers crossed they can get a ride on it

Ha, thanks. I'm usually with him on his coaster adventures kinda weird to be monitoring this one from afar. He already texted me this morning that L Rod was NOT listed on the app as CD for the day like it has been for the last several. I'll let everyone know what happens.

I'd go in expecting LR to be closed for the day and diverting attention far, far away if possible. There's night rides on mountain coasters after DW closes if needed to hype.

Oh I've already pushed that idea trust me. He knows about the mountain coasters. Rode the one in Gatlinburg last night and texted me to update his coaster count to 78. He has a spreadsheet, now that's an enthusiast

The app has it listed closed for the day now.

I was about to edit my post, mine has it listed as CD now to.. they have been listing it 30 mins to an hour before opening and they open at 10 so I figured it would be soon lol

The app has it listed closed for the day now.

I was about to edit my post, mine has it listed as CD now to.. they have been listing it 30 mins to an hour before opening and they open at 10 so I figured it would be soon lol

Bummer. He was excited about that because it was listed very early yesterday, but I'd already warned him that it might still get updated before the park opened. Oh well, I'm sure he and Grandpa will still have fun and he gets to add the other 7 coasters to his count!

Please keep us updated on testing!

I'm considering going tomorrow, doubtful LR will be open.. but still interested nonetheless.

I'm gonna get hate for this.. but I just don't find the cinnamon bread as amazing as a lot of folks here. I mean, it's good (and I love it with apple butter!), don't get me wrong.. but it's just frozen bread with some butter and cinnamon.

Some people just want to watch the world burn

So true.

I'm glad they listed it early, being local, I was still very disappointed last year when it was in ride rehearsal and never opened the first day I visited it while in ride rehearsal.. it ruined my day kind of.

Mainly because I kept running down to check it every 20 - 30 minutes which kept me from enjoying the rest of the park lol

That's why I agree with thrillermans post from yesterday lol.. if they never listed it as CD I'd suggest staying far away from it and only thinking about it when your on that end of the park haha

I wish the Dollywood app was like the six flags q bot system and sent alerts when rides open or close while you are in the park