TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 766 - HeartSong resort announced!

All the new mechanics and engineers in this thread makes me need a drink . . .

Actually I am a line mechanic / maintenance for a large automated factory that uses the same basic systems you'll find on a rollercoaster. I have the credentials to work at an Amusement park but they don't pay nearly to what I am making now. But I'll be glad to buy you a drink someday and discuss logic controllers.

Budzy - I hope you were able to ride Firechaser. It truly is a fun coaster.

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

Luckily any day now Lightning Rod is probably due to launch a wheel into a mountain or spontaneously combust or something so we can stop talking about covid...

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

Posted Images

I did ride it and it was really enjoyable, despite being a saturday, the longest line is only 30 minutes for Fire Chaser, i assume lines will pick up later as its memorial day weekend, but nothing bad so far

So we just arrived at Dollywood's DreamMore Resort, and I couldn't wait for the trip report to say this is the greatest hotel I've ever stayed at. Bar none. Good night, y'all, and may all your dreams come true.

I'm wondering if some of the issues Lightning Rod are having are heat/temperature related? Talking about sensors and all... I just was wondering, because I know it was running pretty well earlier this season, and then all of a sudden, as the temperatures down there no doubt got warmer, it's having issues again (as it did all last Summer). And last year, I know it ran the best during the Fall season. That's when I was able to get my rides in on it, and it was running consistently well during that time. Just a thought...

I'm wondering if some of the issues Lightning Rod are having are heat/temperature related? Talking about sensors and all... I just was wondering, because I know it was running pretty well earlier this season, and then all of a sudden, as the temperatures down there no doubt got warmer, it's having issues again (as it did all last Summer). And last year, I know it ran the best during the Fall season. That's when I was able to get my rides in on it, and it was running consistently well during that time. Just a thought...

Something the park should definitely take into consideration if they haven't.

Last season, it worked fine during the heat do I don't think that's it.. remember, last season the ride didn't even open until early June.. Maybe late May.. it ran fine when it was running until the "recall" that took it down for a while.. but then ran fine again and we had a fairly warm fall.. about the same temp this spring was..

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I'll believe that.. you can tell Dollywood tries everything they can to get it running.. we have seen them list it as TC all day long only to get it running an hour before closing.. being listed as CD makes me believe they are waiting on parts

The concierge at DreamMore said this morning the park is waiting for a part that will arrive next week. Take that as you will.

How's the trip going so far?

The concierge at DreamMore said this morning the park is waiting for a part that will arrive next week. Take that as you will.

How's the trip going so far?

Right now I am super exhausted, but I have had an awesome time. Will have a full trip report starting when I get back, but I'll spoil one thing: Mystery Mine is a new top 5 coaster for me.

I remember last year I was really worried about them not having the issues sorted out by Memorial Day and that they would head into the summer with a bunch of people disappointed... I never imagined it would happen for the second year in a row. Seriously, if this part doesn't seriously improve the up-time, just go ahead and put a chain on it. I don't think the optics of getting rid of the launch would be anywhere near as bad as having a star ride that barely operates.

Anyway though, I'm thinking that before too long we could start seeing some markings for the 2018 addition. If they are indeed adding a whole new area as proposed in the last concept, then they will typically start clearing by August depending on how much excavation is necessary. Keep a lookout!

I wonder if Dollywood took in account for seismic activity on the mountain of LR. Could be constantly shifting the supports causing sensors to go out of wack.

Okay... Not going to lie.... But that seems like a bit of a stretch. . .

If seismic activity were a problem don't you think that other coasters in the park would suffer from similar issues??

I wonder if Dollywood took in account for seismic activity on the mountain of LR. Could be constantly shifting the supports causing sensors to go out of wack.

There are no words...

I'm sure they took into account tremors... [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

My first ever trip next month has been canceled due to the unreliability of Lightning Rod. Cinnamon bread isn't going to be enough for me to spend the cash and use vacation time. Sorry, Dollywood.

Making my 6th attempt this year for LR for this coming up Saturday. If it's true that the part they are waiting on arrives this week then maybe it will be running by this coming up weekend. I'm still going in with the mindset of not being able to ride. Fingers crossed

I'll be there two weeks from tomorrow. Here's hoping for the best with Lightning Rod. I got extraordinarily lucky last year and got to ride Rod the day it reopened after the recall, but we shall see. If I don't get to ride it this year, though, I won't be too upset since Dollywood's a wonderful place without it. It's my second favorite park without Rod, and Rod gives it the slightest edge over SDC to make it my favorite, so either way, I'm satisfied.

Edited by molemaster43

My first ever trip next month has been canceled due to the unreliability of Lightning Rod. Cinnamon bread isn't going to be enough for me to spend the cash and use vacation time. Sorry, Dollywood.

Can't say I blame you, there. It is a big void when you go there seeing such a giant, amazing, work of engineering sitting there and unable to walk in and ride. Despite the awesome park and other rides, there's something about seeing it there not operating that drives you crazy and can really put a damper on the trip. I hope they're able to get it up and running before the full-fledged summer season.

I'll be there two weeks from tomorrow. Here's hoping for the best with Lightning Rod. I got extraordinarily lucky last year and got to ride Rod the day it reopened after the recall, but we shall see. If I don't get to ride it this year, though, I won't be too upset since Dollywood's a wonderful place without it. It's my second favorite park without Rod, and Rod gives it the slightest edge over SDC to make it my favorite, so either way, I'm satisfied.

After the recall it ran very well until winter haha

Well before the recall it was mostly in technical ride rehearsal. The recall was shortly after it officially opened for real.. So most of the downtime before the recall could always be attributed to the ride being finished late, fine tuning, and all that good jazz. I rode it the first weekend it was in technical ride rehearsal and actually got lucky and got a night ride! It had opened and closed several times when I had been in line.. finally I caught it open again right around closing and it had no line.. it was already fairly dark. It was an awesome ride! That was the only time I got to ride it before the recall I believe.. after that most of my rides were in the Fall after it opened back up

Well it wasn't opened much during that time anyways.. Technical Ride Rehearsal started the last week of May (I can't remember the exact date but a Google search shows news articles about it as early as May 26) and the recall was June 17th (another Google search haha)

So the actual up time was very limited until after the recall anyways

I just remember being frustrated waiting in lines for 30+ minutes only being told to leave and it happened several times until closing on the first full weekend it was in ride rehearsal.. I finally got lucky at closing