TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

Didn't they do a lot of track work on it this past offseason?

I mean, personally I don't care since the ride is running amazing this season (just like it was last season) and it's perfectly smooth, but I was under the impression that they were already doing a lot of work on it.

Didn't they do a lot of track work on it this past offseason?

I mean, personally I don't care since the ride is running amazing this season (just like it was last season) and it's perfectly smooth, but I was under the impression that they were already doing a lot of work on it.

I know they replaced some wood on the structure, and revamped the station a bit.. but I don't think much if any track work was done.

LR is closed again today.

I'm about to just give up hope on LR. Have been 4 different times this year and have yet to ride once. 2 times I've been in line and the ride has gone down and the other two times it's just been closed all day for "maintenance". Sorry but this getting ridiculous at this point. Next time I go I'm just going in with the thought of not getting to ride. The fact that it's already been closed 3 days in a row is not a good sign. Oh well, hate it for the park though.

Sigh... flying in from the UK to hit up dollywood this friday, saturday and sunday coming, just gonna go into it knowing I won't get a ride, but I can dream.. and I guess I've got the other parks I'm doing to look forward to aswell!

I'm currently at the park, and crowds are very heavy today. Obviously LRod is closed, but it hasn't stopped me from having a good day.

As mentioned earlier, Thunderhead had a long wait this morning. They were cycling both trains but only filling one up with riders. We were told that they just finished rebuilding one of the trains and that sometime soon they would be allowing riders on that certain one. They had to run it empty for numerous cycles before allowing guests on. I believe now they are loading both.

I rode Drop Line for the first time and really enjoyed it! The views were spectacular. However, I do feel like Acrophobia at Six Flags over Georgia is more intense. At least the seats were more comfortable on Drop Line! It really seems like a great addition to the park!

Other news, Whistle Punk Chaser has soft opened! Not sure when they've started it, but noticed a lot of people riding earlier and had a decent line!

I did happen to walk by LR and saw one of the trains sitting on the transfer track. It does appear that some work is being done on the coaster today. A ride op was standing outside the station and was rudely yelling at guests that "the ride is closed all day". Even folks who walked by trying to ask a question were cut off with that statement before they had time to finish. I'm sure that the ops are frustrated as much as we are about the coaster being closed. Hopefully they can figure out what the issues are and get the coaster up and running by at least this upcoming week.

I did happen to walk by LR and saw one of the trains sitting on the transfer track. It does appear that some work is being done on the coaster today. A ride op was standing outside the station and was rudely yelling at guests that "the ride is closed all day". Even folks who walked by trying to ask a question were cut off with that statement before they had time to finish. I'm sure that the ops are frustrated as much as we are about the coaster being closed. Hopefully they can figure out what the issues are and get the coaster up and running by at least this upcoming week.

Kinda goes to show they're just as frustrated with it as anyone else is. it is quite unfortunate for both them and anyone going out of their way specifically to get to ride the coaster. Hopefully for anyone's first time at the park they don't get too caught up on LR being opened or closed, because there is still an entire theme park to enjoy!

Continuing the Thunderhead love train, I might be in a minority but having tried both, I kinda like Thunderhead's layout more than Mystic Timbers. That coaster is just pure fun, and has some very comfy seats on it! Last I was at the park, I managed more laps on it than any other coaster in the park. It wasn't horribly rough, in my opinion.

True rollback or just a failure to launch? I have honestly only seen one instance of a true rollback.. most of the time it seems the train just stops on the lift.. A video from last year had a much better look at what was happening.. You could clearly see the launch engage on the flat portion but as soon as the train hit the lift, a fin popped up and stopped it meaning the train only went a few feet up the lift and rolled back.. I wouldn't consider that a true rollback.. like a safety feature was stopping it from launching

I see a rollback as making it up the lift a good ways and not having power to crest the top. I have only heard of that happening once or twice with LR

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I saw online that today's first full train ended up having a rollback. Judging by the app, the coaster was probably down for about 30 minutes. Apparently right after it reopened, the same thing happened, forcing over an hour of more downtime. I believe it was open for only a few minutes after that but quickly went down yet again. It wasn't until around late afternoon that it was changed to "closed for the day". It seems that the majority of these rollbacks are occuring when the train is full of riders.

Anyways, I thought Thunderhead ran smoother compared to my previous visit back in March. Now I have yet to ride Mystic Timbers (I was supposed to this month, but change of plans), and I'm really curious to see how it compares to Thunderhead as Thunderhead is the only GCI I've ever ridden. Probably won't be able to ride Mystic until next year.

But was it a full rollback or failure to launch? See my description above lol

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

As far as the first rollback today, I believe it stopped 1/3 up the hill (according to the instagram video). Not sure about the others, but I assume they were probably similar.

I'm planning a trip next week to HoliWood Nights, Kentucky Kingdom, Beech Bend, and Carowinds. I was thinking of stopping by Dollywood on Wednesday, June 7 since it's on my way home from Carowinds. There's no way even to guess whether Lightning Rod will be open on any specific day, is there?

Also, could anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from I-40 to Dollywood? Thanks.