TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

One thing I missed this year are the vendors for festival of Nations.. while small and not many, I enjoyed seeing them selling clothing, bags, and other stuff from other nations.. I might just be missing the vendors but I haven't seen them this year on my visits.

That would help them focus a little on their core..

Biggest issue is, their core won't pull in the larger crowds. Their core audience is getting older and a lot of people could care less about the shows and demonstrations.. I have noticed less and less people watching demonstrations.. shows remain packed, but more and more folks walk out of them after they start now.. their general crowd now is becoming younger it seems..

It's sad really haha because I actually enjoy the shows for the most part

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Plus, places like Cade's Cove have the same demonstrations for free. They have a blacksmith, they have a fully working Grist Mill, and various other demonstrations going on throughout the year and day

With Dollywoods price increasing, I'm sure a lot of their core goes to other spots to see the same type of demonstrations.. The Dollywood price is great for folks wanting rides and other theme park attractions, but sky high for the shows now offered at Dollywood and demonstrations

One thing I missed this year are the vendors for festival of Nations.. while small and not many, I enjoyed seeing them selling clothing, bags, and other stuff from other nations.. I might just be missing the vendors but I haven't seen them this year on my visits.

My wife was bummed by their absence too.

Their core audience is getting older and a lot of people could care less about the shows and demonstrations.

Don't tell my 12yr old

But the demos aren't​ what they were in the past. I don't watch them much either.

In the past more interesting things were done, and presented in more interesting ways.

Same with the shows. They used to be a lot better.

Honestly, I never purchased much from them.. I believe my GF purchased a bag last year and I purchased some wall art stuff a few years ago.. But I'd imagine the booths sold enough to make it worth the sellers coming.. who knows

Festival of Nations has been a top favorite event I've attended the last 5 years or so. I've really enjoyed taking my mom to it and she's bought several items from the vendors. We LOVED the Irish shop a few years back, and she bought a nice thick winter wool sweater there. She loves it. She and I have also bought several CD's and DVD's from the performers over the years. As her health has been illing lately we weren't able to attend Festival of Nations this year unfortunately. I hope it's been really great though!

Some of the performers have their CDs available but none of the other vendors are back.. Shows are decent like always but food isn't what it was last year for the festival..

Overall, festival is neat and fun but not a "driver".. I would be very upset if I visited for the festival only.. that's just me though

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

The park is much more crowded today versus yesterday. I caught the new site Enra yesterday. I had not seen them on America's Got Talent, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved the first 10 minutes of the show, then the show started dragging and I fell asleep. I woke up for the last 5 minutes, which was similar to the parts that put me to sleep.

A few minutes with Google and YouTube would have told you what to expect.

- motion graphics performing arts -

Either you like that style of dance or you don't. Sort of like ballet, not for everyone.

Anyone remember off the top of their head how long Enra is going to be there? I forgot their dates.. that's one show I do wanna make a special trip to see

Edit: April 22 is the last day for Enra

What time of year generally does Wild Eagle shut down for the wasps/hornets/bees/bugs? I can't recall when that migration time is and if they close the ride completely or if it's open during early morning and in the evening. Can someone with more information and a better memory fill me in?

Late summer early fall.. I feel I saw it closed more during the early fall for the bees

Luckily they said the top on LR works so Pete said in a video that they are considering putting something similar on wild eagle.. not sure how I feel about that.. but it might keep it from closing

Also, the rides close during the heat of the day for the bees.. so ride in the morning and evening.. mid days when they are closed

What time of year generally does Wild Eagle shut down for the wasps/hornets/bees/bugs? I can't recall when that migration time is and if they close the ride completely or if it's open during early morning and in the evening. Can someone with more information and a better memory fill me in?

Later in the summer I think. Late Aug and Sep.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&p=1745081#p1745081

Hey guys, quick question about Dollywood rain/thunderstorm policy. Going to be at the park tomorrow evening and Tuesday and the weather is looking like 90% chance of rain. Does Dollywood follow a strict Cedar Fair-like rain policy of closing everything down or are they more likely to keep most coasters open in the rain? I'm really hoping to get some quality time in with Lightning Rod!

Does Dollywood follow a strict Cedar Fair-like rain policy of closing everything down or are they more likely to keep most coasters open in the rain?

Coasters stay open in the rain. They only shut them down for lightning.

Not sure how far out their detectors are, but I think it's 30 min w/o lightning to restart.

Search this thread as I recall a few mentions of it before.

But the rest of the park stays open unless it's really bad/unsafe.

Edited by STDog

I'm not a big fan of the name Drop Line, but I'm glad Lightning Rod is Lightning Rod... it's honestly the only coaster name I actually like at DW next to 'Tornado and Thunderhead.

I really like that they chose a name that is relevant to the logging industry in the area.

20170413_122559.thumb.jpg.a005d30dc39b9a9e7afdb99650be4ddf.jpg

Hi all,

I've read through this thread quite a bit and have really enjoyed reading about people's experiences at Dollywood!

I'm trying to plan a summer trip there, but the only time my friend and I both can get off work is the weekend right before 4th of July. We want to visit Dollywood on July 2nd or 3rd, but I'm concerned the park will be crazy busy. How are wait times for rides at Dollywood on long weekends? I read here that many visitors of Dollywood and SDC will go just to enjoy the park itself, but that doesn't always mean the wait times are bad for rides. Is this the case on a weekend like 4th of July? Or, would you recommend a fast pass?

Our main reason for visiting is Lightning Rod. (I know that in and of itself is a gamble - that thing sounds like a mechanical nightmare but completely awesome anyway.) But, if we're going to travel all the way there from Dallas, we'd like to ride other things as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for wait times it all depends but in the heart of summer they can be pretty bad depending on weather.. on the slow days LR, Fire Chaser, and Mystery Mine can have waits of 30 - 45 minutes.. on the semi busy days LR can be as much as an hour and a half.

I recommend not falling for any buy a fast pass online promos (if they have any) and just buy at the park.. if you are spending two days there you may not need one at all unless you just hate lines

One tip is even on busy days the lines die down about an hour before close. Sometimes the exception to this can be if a lot of folks are trying to get night rides on the coasters but in the middle of summer it doesn't get dark here until 9:30ish anyways so the night rides aren't pitch black meaning it shouldn't cause much of an issue

As a tip, Dollywood doesn't hide wait times in their app like some parks do (meaning you don't have to be in the park to see wait times).. Download the app and keep an eye on wait times, it's fairly accurate.. it might be a good way to plan especially if you check it various times of the day to see the trends