TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

That would also explain why they saw a maintenance guy walking down the hillside.. I'm sure if someone get hit by something they walk the track just incase a branch is laying low or something else might have possibly hit the rider..

I firmly believe you might be correct

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Honestly, the Christmas lights seemed less this year. I was disappointed to see the Grist Mill totally dark, not one Christmas light.

The Grist Mill was all lit up on Friday night...maybe they had a short in the lights or a blown fuse or something. I thought the same thing about some areas of the park not looking as lit up as usual. Tennessee Tornado's lights were pretty sparse compared to years past. They are usually themed to look as though a tornado came through the area, but not this year. However, the new lights in front of Lightning Rod (and the Chasing Rainbows museum) looked really good. I guess they pick and choose where they are going to spend their time and energy with the lights. We didn't see the light show that's centered around the lake - is that gone now?

I thought Thunderhead was running very smoothly compared to other rides on it in the past. For me, it seems to have really good times, and really rough times.

The Waltzing Swinger looked as it did in the photograph that was posted recently. The base was up and that was about it. It had some scaffolding around it. I really hope that they're getting a lighting package for it...badly needed.

The light show that was around the lake moved to the little pond around were timber Tower Used to be. It moved there last year when the moved the tree there.

It used to be called Carol of the Trees when it was on the lake. I loved it when it when it was down there. Since it's been in the timber canyon area I watched it once and didn't feel like it had the same atmosphere. I also loved the firework ending they did when it was on the lake. I can see them returning it to the lake when the new drop tower is installed. I just think its a crowd issue with the parade and stuff.

I was under the impression they only moved it to help prepare the area for LR but idk now ha-ha.. I'm sure it'll be back at the lake next year, unless they find yet another new place for it.

Yea the Carol of Trees will have to be moved back down to Rivertown next year because Dropline will be in the tree's current spot.

Also with the rider being hit, last year when I was on Tennessee Tornado a group of idiots to say the least lol were in front of me and I heard them in the station say "I've got a penny or two in my pocket, I'm gonna let them go on the first and last loops" and sure enough they did. Their ententions were to hurt someone but instead the pennies had too much force upon them and went into the hills. I have been spat on on TT before though. Being LR is so forceful they need to make it a clear warning on signs "THINGS IN POCKETS WILL FLY OUT ON THIS RIDE, NO MATTER WHAT"

Visiting Dollywood soon with a plus size, XL-chested friend. We're FL folk so just to give you an idea.. she's never been able to make it onto Forbidden Journey or Rip Ride Rockit in Universal. Everything else is a go, including modified seating in most B&Ms.

I'm pretty sure the only rides she really won't be able to do at Dollywood are Mystery Mine, Barnstormer, and maybe Wild Eagle, right? Is there anything else I should prepare her for?

Visiting Dollywood soon with a plus size, XL-chested friend. We're FL folk so just to give you an idea.. she's never been able to make it onto Forbidden Journey or Rip Ride Rockit in Universal. Everything else is a go, including modified seating in most B&Ms.

I'm pretty sure the only rides she really won't be able to do at Dollywood are Mystery Mine, Barnstormer, and maybe Wild Eagle, right? Is there anything else I should prepare her for?

I might be wrong, but I could possibly see Lightning Rod being a no go. Most all of RMC coasters are not anything above average size, friendly. Now, granted if it's just the chest area that is XL, then she should be fine on LR!! Either way, I hope you both have a lot of fun, and enjoy the park!

Barnstormer should work out for your friend, it has altered seats for larger folks. I've stated before on here that my frequent ride buddy is a big dude. Mystery Mine is the only ride he absolutely can't fit on. I can squeeze him in everything else, but on Barnstormer he needs no assistance. You and your friend have a great visit!

Wild Eagle does have a certain row for larger peeps. I forget which one at the moment. I consider myself a large dude and the only ones I cant fit on are MM and Sky Flyer. All coasters have a test seat at the beginning of the line to check. Lightning Rod is a tight fit. My advice is to make sure all pockets are empty and don't wear heavy clothing, that helps a lot. If I have my wallet in my pocket, I cant get a green light on LR.

And remember... Dollywood is pretty strict about their ops not pushing down on restraints. You have to do it yourself or a friend. The only exception is Barnstormer due to the ergonomics.

So we may going to Dollywood this weekend. The weather seems to be unpredictable at the moment but I wanna be able to go and both see the lights and ride coasters. I'm wondering if the weather would knock me out of the coaster factor? It's gotta be above freezing for them to run and here in the south you never know what'll happen

They are calling for snow in the higher elevations of the Smokies this weekend.. if night rides are a must for you, it will be iffy.. I'm sure coasters will be running during the daylight hours so just grab them first.. and it's gotta be a little higher than freezing for them to run the coasters, usually at least in the low 40s

Both days show it in the 40s until at least 9:00 so you never know really

Dollywood will start the coasters once it reaches 40 degrees. Once they get running they'll keep running until it gets down to 36 degrees. Tennessee Tornado usually closes first since it's location in the ridge makes it a little cooler than the others.

This of course doesn't include Blazing Fury which never closes.

Heading up to Dollywood today after work around 4pm. The wait time app already has Dollywood Express closed for the day. I'm pretty sure its safe to say with all the wildfires going on around East Tennessee, it will stay closed until the weather helps with the dry conditions and put out the fires. There a open fire ban in at least 9 counties!!

Dollywood will start the coasters once it reaches 40 degrees. Once they get running they'll keep running until it gets down to 36 degrees. Tennessee Tornado usually closes first since it's location in the ridge makes it a little cooler than the others.

This of course doesn't include Blazing Fury which never closes.

Yup this is the average temp they close, but don't take this as fact! I have seen coasters run down into the lower thirties before but I have also seen them close around 40.. I have also seen them close the lines early if they are long and it is on the verge of being the closing temp and continue to run until the line is emptied out.. I have also seen them say "it's now to cold to run the coaster" and just close it and run everyone off..

Also, keep in mind that just because your phone says 42, it might not necessarily be that temp at Dollywood. They have weather stations scattered around that give them their official readings.

I love visiting this time of year and do it a lot, sometimes several times a week because they are open later and it's easy for me to do after work

I'm very excited for an opportunity that just came up to come down to Dollywood for the first time with one my best roller coaster enthusiast friends tomorrow! It will be quite the trek on our part, so hopefully everything is up and running well. But for me at least, it'll be my first trip regardless, so it'll all be new and exciting. At least Lightning Rod seems to be running pretty consistently as of late, so hopefully that continues through tomorrow! The weather should be beautiful, regardless, which is what prompted the last minute decision to go down.

So, what are the most important things for a first timer like myself to know going in? My friend has been there a few times, so it's not like I won't have some guidance. But besides the cinnamon bread, which I have heard all about, and will certainly partake in, are there any other "can't miss" things I should know about making a trip to Dollywood the best it can be?

One thing specifically I'm wondering about, is whether LR has boxes or cubbies to place belongings like cell phones in, since they are so adamantly discouraged on the coaster? While I know for a fact that my phone would be secure in my pocket, given the composition of my pocket, the way it's sealed off when I sit, and so on, my concern is that the violent nature of the ride would damage it in my pocket. That actually happened to my last phone my first spin on Storm Chaser, so I want to avoid it altogether going into LR!

I can't wait to experience this wonderful place, and hopefully the wonderful LR for the first time!

They will place items on a shelf for you (and all the other coasters). There are paid places as well if you want more security (I've never used them though). Believe there is one under LR, near the photo booth.

WE has bins at the loading gates. And Barnstormer has them off to the sides.