TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

I forget how technological these coasters are now.

Yes and in my opinion, this is what is causing all the issues.. a ride as advanced as LR has thousands of sensors I bet.. I personally don't believe the launch is acting up, I don't believe there are major issues with LR.. I am on the side of the fence that believes LR is having software and sensor issues.. even (I believe it was Pete from the park, I could be wrong, it might have been their head maintenance guy) said in an early interview that they are having some sensor issues.. this was earlier in the season but I personally believe they still have them..

Again, I have heard nothing official Like any of us here, this are just my thoughts on LR

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

Their season pass renewal system is running on the same server as Lightning Rod. 

Posted Images

The seat belts on RMC trains do not have sensors and are not tied to the controls.

Yup, I edited my response so that it didn't really apply to LR.. I was just letting the OP know how one seatbelt might keep a train from moving on a coaster

Yep.

sweet, i sure hope its a larger version like the one from cultus lake or maybe a different but similar layout. sideshow spin is already there but with this new addition im sure it will be removed at some point

it just seems so much similar to sideshow spin, just a little longer, seems strange to add a coaster that looks practically identical to one they already have. either way still excited, and the drop tower everyone has been waiting for on here for some years so am happy its finally happening

it just seems so much similar to sideshow spin, just a little longer, seems strange to add a coaster that looks practically identical to one they already have. either way still excited, and the drop tower everyone has been waiting for on here for some years so am happy its finally happening

At least on the new one, you won't feel like you are riding in a cage.

lol and maybe they have a plan to remove sideshow spin in the future and replace it with something else. time will tell!! im really liking this ten year expansion, and we still have 7-8 years left. off topic but does anyone know how much of the 300million remains?

dreammore 150mil

lightning rod 20mil

firechaser 10-15mil ?

parking lot expansion 5mil

???

still looking pretty good

Edited by maverickpoint
They also said that they might add even more money to the expansion if needed

no way, that's awesome, could you even imagine what could come in the future? a hyper coaster, massive dark ride, intamin, maybe a water coaster? i have a good feeling about 2018!

I just checked with my daughter, who won't go on any coasters that are too big or too fast, but loves the smaller ones. She thinks it's awesome that they'll have three coasters she would like (Sideshow Spin, Firechaser Express, and Whistle Punk Chaser). Big thumbs up on this addition from her. Having three coasters for her to ride instead of two will make our trip even better, and that makes me happy.

They also said that they might add even more money to the expansion if needed

no way, that's awesome, could you even imagine what could come in the future? a hyper coaster, massive dark ride, intamin, maybe a water coaster? i have a good feeling about 2018!

Yup, back when they announced the 300mil expansion they said depending how things went, and knowing things can change over 10 years, that it wasn't a hard 300mil and more could be added.

Gotta also remember, the new shows and festivals are also part of this budget.. the new parade this Christmas is 4mil I believe I saw?

I'm sure next season's pumpkin lights won't be cheap either

LOL, you think the little kids care?

There's no need to innovate with these kiddie coasters. It's not like they even notice that it's the same ride as some other park. I do wish they were a bit smoother though - a kid can bash their head in on the back of the seat with how hard they stop the train sometimes.

Maybe Sideshow Spin will be replaced with another addition for an SBF Visa spinner under the same name? Even though that seems excessive to replace a kiddie coaster with another, it's not unheard of.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

So I haven't been paying much attention but apparently Lightning Rod is down and having issues again? Can any of our more locals/regulars confirm more than just what the website says?

I was there a few weeks ago and it was closed on Thursday and Friday, opened Saturday with one train, and on Sunday it was one train operation with the second row closed and it went down for an hour at 10:15AM. It also has developed a wicked jolt at the bottom of the first drop, which is surprisingly strong from the back of the train.

^^So it seems like it's still train problems maybe?

Actually its the track, if you find a good picture of the first drop. You can see that the radius in the transition from the drop to the flat is not perfect. There's a slight flat spot where you feel the bump. I have taken over 10 laps on LR and I have a good idea where that bump is by now...lol