TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^What exactly do you enjoy about Dollywood? You are a habitual complainer in this thread and the majority of your posts are complaints. This isn't Trip Advisor, this is an enthusiasts' forum. I am just trying to figure out why you continue to post in this thread other than you enjoy piling on and being negative. This pre-dates Lightning Rod, so you obviously had issues prior to the ride being announced.

Edited by ernierocker

In Myrtle Beach right now so I haven't even looked at this thread in a day or two. Haven't even thought about Dollywood to be honest, but I'm going the 25th-27th. We are going to do the arrive after 3 deal just incase LR isn't open or decides to spazz tf out. I know we will enjoy ourselves on other rides, especially getting a deep tissue massage from Thunderhead and riding WE til we are bruised (yes that happened last year within 4 rides haha). There's a family I met down here now that cancelled their stay at Dreammore because they were told by staff that the coaster was still in tech rehearsals and couldn't be promised a for sure opening. They're from Nevada and have ridden TC so they just decided to reroute and come to Myrtle for a week.

Thank you for posting the patent. (https://www.google.com/patents/US20150091478?cl=en)

Now I understand something I didn't before. Launched coasters have always required a very high amount of power for the launch, which either required a very VERY expensive high-capacity electrical service (which you draw heavily on when you launch), or the use of a large, heavy (and apparently, occasionally dangerous) flywheel to store energy from a lower capacity service.

This newly patented technology uses, for the first time, banks of 'ultra capacitors' to store the energy supplied from a more affordable electrical service and release it during the launch.

This is revolutionary, as it, when perfected, may well enable launched rides to be built in places and for costs that will increase the variety and availability of launched rides, including roller coasters, around the world.

I have a trip to DW (from California) scheduled next month, and of course I was confused about why a launched coaster could be so problematic. Now I see that this innovation goes well beyond wooden coasters, and may enable new types of rides to become a practical reality for parks large and small.

If I miss it, it will be a big disappointment, no doubt. But now I see why Herschend, RMC, and Velocity Magnetics are partnering to do this. If I had to speculate, budgets, infrastructure and/or safety concerns may well mean Lightning Rod would not exist if it could only be built in the conventional way.

If the launch system is currently not the issue, and the restraints are, then at least I still respect the innovation in the launch design.

That does provide more insight into the potential issues. I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of all the typical launch mechanisms available today and how much energy they take. I have wondered before why S&S's compressed air systems didn't take off more. Powderkeg's launch is plenty powerful, and I'm sure it can be scaled upwards from that. I don't think they have much additional electrical infrastructure there since they have time to re-compress the tanks between each launch.

^What exactly do you enjoy about Dollywood? You are a habitual complainer in this thread and the majority of your posts are complaints. This isn't Trip Advisor, this is an enthusiasts' forum. I am just trying to figure out why you continue to post in this thread other than you enjoy piling on and being negative. This pre-dates Lightning Rod, so you obviously had issues prior to the ride being announced.

Thanks for asking. I love the overall experience at Dollywood. I feel the people overall are a great representation of the brand and the theme that the park is portraying. I love that the park still invests in theme appropriate costuming for individual locations. I love that the merchandise selections are generally unique and appropriately theme to each retail location. I feel the food is overall a great value (quality for the price) and reflects the care and thought that goes into the theme. I feel the overall park is a great value (level of themed entertainment for the cost). I am impressed at the rapid growth of this park, and as a native Tennessean, am proud that they are beginning to receive national attention for their efforts. I have numerous time complimented the management and front-line associates for their great dedication to their jobs, the quality of the experience I have had there and the overall experience they provide. I have written several positive reviews on Trip Advisor (which I am aware is not this forum) about the experiences my family has had there. I am also a vocal brand advocate for the resort - telling people that I feel would enjoy the experience that the resort provides all about it.

I am also a retail professional and the Director of Merchandising and Brand Experience for a regional retail company. My job is to craft engaging, unique experiences. Every day I challenge myself to look at what I have created and ask "what could I have done better? What would have elevated this experience?" I am incredibly detail oriented, and strive for excellence in my own work, and recognize when others are striving for that as well.

To that end, I do make observations about attractions and marketing - guest experience opportunities. Since you are familiar with all of my posts (better than I) I can only assume some of the past ones are in regards to the incredible opportunity I think the park has to leverage the Imagination Library into an immersive dark ride that the entire family can enjoy together and will draw attention to that great cause. Maybe my past negative posts are observations that as the park has elevated the theming and quality of the ride experience, legacy attractions like Blazing Fury begin to pale in comparison, and make (or solicit) blue sky ideas as to how these attractions could be made more in line with the high quality the park aspires to (and ensure their longevity.)

Maybe my negative posts are my very observant nature seeing that a queue that has gotten almost no use (Lighting Rod) is already showing signs of wear and tear on wonderfully themed details because of questionable materials choices. Yes, my "negative" posts also extend to the way the opening, soft opening, hard opening, shut down, soft opening of Lightning Rod has been handled. As a professional responsible for guest experience, I do see ways that "I think" it could have been handled differently. I have not said the way people did it was wrong, but that maybe in my experience I would have handled it differently.

I have never on "trip Advisor" or any other travel review forum complained, or given poor reviews to Dollywood, as I am proud of the growth the resort has made, and want to see them continue to succeed for years to come. I did think that on this forum - that concerned itself with the discussion (and obsession with the details of) theme parks - that there would be room for constructive observations and even some "I would have done it this way" blue sky thinking. I though most posters here were passionate about Dollywood and wanted it to be as amazing and recognized in a positive light for all the great things that it offers, but were also realistic in their comments and ways they felt the experience could be made even better.,

I know that was a SUPER long post, but since you want to know "what EXACTLY" I felt is best to be specific. Hope this answers your questions.

Edited by brenthodge

I personally wonder if this will push Herschend to go more "orthodox" with their ride buying strategies moving forwards.

If you believe the SDC2018 rumors then, signs point to no

The rumors that you generally create?

#TooSoon

Pretty sure it was already known to people on this forum it would be closed today but here is some confirmation from someone on instagram.

PEEL OUT NOW....or not. So sad its funny - so funny its sad.

They were talking about this thread, not the ride...

Can anyone tell me where to get the best discount on tickets for the park? Thanks!

Local Wendy's bags, soda cans, those types of places.. not many ticket discounts around. Sometimes your hotel might have one as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me where to get the best discount on tickets for the park? Thanks!

Dollywood.com/mcdonalds can get you $5 off per ticket. If you are going to be in town for a few days the 3 days/2 parks for $99 promotion from the Dollywood website is a pretty good deal. As always you can come in to the park after 3 pm and get in the next day for free.

How many days are you planning to be there? Just DW or SC too?

Do you have any plans to visit again this year?

Are you interested in other DW related things, like Dixie Stampede or Lumberjack dinner shows?

You can often find deals on combos.

Here are two updates to the mountain coasters in this area...

Goats on the roof suffered an accident as well and is now shut down by the state while they remedy the situation. And the Gatlinburg Mountain coaster has re-opened.

Goats coaster update from WATE-knoxville

PIGEON FORGE (WATE) – A Pigeon Forge roller coaster closed after a rider suffered a broken arm Sunday.

The Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development requested The Coaster at Goats on the Roof to cease operation on Monday. The office says a rider “lost control and put an arm outside of the ride,” at the location on Wears Valley Road.

The incident was not reported as a serious injury until the state told the company to stop operating. The state was notified when a visitor saw media coverage of an incident in Gatlinburg. A woman was thrown from the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster July 3.

The office says the company may be forced to pay $2,100 for not reporting the injury in a timely manner. The company submitted an accident report and an inspection report from a third-party. The inspection was completed on Tuesday and the ride was deemed safe to operate.

The state office is working with the company to create preventative measures. The ride will be closed until measures are completed.

G'burg coaster update from WBIR-knoxville

GATLINBURG - Ten days after a woman was thrown from a Gatlinburg amusement ride and seriously injured, the state will allow the business to reopen.

On July 3, Alma Fatien, was riding the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster when she was ejected, suffering fractures to both wrists, a knee cap, head trauma, and possible broken ribs.

The ride was closed, and the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development began an investigation.

State officials sent a third-party inspector to examine the ride and found no issues. The inspector also determined that the ride was in proper working order when the accident happened.

The coaster's owner issued a report that claimed the woman may not have been buckled, and said that an employee did not properly check the restraints before the ride, which violated their policies.

The company complied with the state's orders to have the ride inspected by a third party on three different dates since the accident, and no issues were found. They also removed the sled that was involved in the accident from service, and it won't be used again until the state deems it "safe and operable."

The state also ordered the business to provide proof of training procedures, signed documents showing all employees had been re-trained on those procedures, and to explain what the company would do to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

We went to the park on Sunday. We still had a great time, as usual, even though Lightning Rod was down, and Thunderhead only operated briefly. Crowds were very light, so that made for a very pleasant day. There was no action occurring at Lightning Rod all day. I did notice a train sitting inside the station though. So for anyone who has visited the park since Sunday, has anybody noticed anything going on with the ride, i.e. test runs, maintenance working on the launch etc? I am just curious what happened this past Friday causing the ride to be down again almost a week, and no action at all on the site. I know all we can do is speculate!

We are thirsty for a ride (as many are), and since Dollywood is essentially our home park, after all of our visits this season, we continue to practice patience. I keep having these recurrent dreams that I am at the park, and the ride is open. However, no matter how much, and for how long I walk, I just can never seem to get to the ride. Crazy right? I guess its just meant to happen when its meant to happen. When Lightning Rod reopens we will head straight for the park and attempt to fulfill our mission!

Also I was wondering why Mystery Mine is no longer featured on the wait time board throughout the park or on the Dollywood app? I also feel that the restraints were a little more forgiving to larger riders than they had been on my previous visits this season. Larger people were able to ride, less walks of shame, and less playing of the "musical seats."

Please don't waste your time reading below if you don't care if lightning rod is running today.

I'm at the park today and for those that care no lightning rod. Sign still up closed all day. I saw one worker, but no work being done that I can see.

Please don't waste your time reading below if you don't care if lightning rod is running today.

I'm at the park today and for those that care no lightning rod. Sign still up closed all day. I saw one worker, but no work being done that I can see.

Thanks for the update... I find it weird that on the website it says it's in Technical Rehearsal I've seen pictures from the park of a sign saying it is closed due to extensive ride commissioning... It's kind of irritating that they are claiming two totally different things.

I know this a bit ridiculous of me to do, but I called the park wondering about LR. I explained that the website says technical rehearsal, while signs at the park say that it is closed for extended ride commissioning. According to the very nice lady I spoke with, LR is still in Technical Rehearsal.

So maybe, just maybe it has been operating a little bit over the last week or so, but it has been for a short enough time that nobody on here has noticed it actually running?

I know it seems unlikely but I'm trying to "look at the the glass half full".

^The website says it may be closed at any time. For a week straight still counts as any time.

I think the signs in the windows are just being reused from the ones they had before. It's a way of saying on this day it is not going to run.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure so didn't post it.

On Sunday we were standing with a small group of people at Park opening in front of Lightning Rod. A rides supervisor/team lead (I think) stopped by the group and said "Lightning Rod is in technical ride rehearsal. Its closed now, but you can check back later today, but things don't look good for it operating today." I guess "technical ride rehearsal" must sound better to folks than the ride is closed AGAIN for an extended period of time.

I was at the park the last two days and there was no activity around the coaster. Hopefully they can get the kinks ironed out at some point because it's a great coaster (two rides a month ago) and a great park. Also, cold someone please tell Dolly to add a dining plan similar to Cedar Fair?

I wish they had some kind of dining plan I really enjoy using it at Disney and Six Flags.. the Season dining plan at six flags is great and saved me tons ha-ha

But if Dollywood does it, I see it working much like Disney

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I guess "technical ride rehearsal" must sound better to folks than the ride is closed AGAIN for an extended period of time.

Actually, "Technical rehearsal" sounds better than "The ride isn't officially open so we don't have any obligation to open it for you whatsoever, but we're being generous enough to open it on days that we can do some tweak & adjust, which we could probably do with water dummies or empty trains, but we are trying to get as many people on the ride as possible, so stop being ungrateful."

Edited by robbalvey