TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

This is really a PR nightmare for Dollywood and Rocky Mountain Construction...

This has been pegged the unofficial best new roller coaster for 2016 and currently Dollywood looks awful b/c it is not open yet and they had a media day with nothing for the media to ride. They can save face if it is open by Memorial Day b/c that is the unofficial start of summer. Yes in 10 years no one will really care but right now they are losing revenue for this year. I for one will not schedule a trip down there until I know it is running and that may mean I won't go to until next year.

This also is RMC's first botch. They seem to have a reputation of doing good timely work. I know they are saying it is their sub-contractor's fault but their name is on the proverbial building.

This may be the first ,only and last launched wooden roller coaster. It really is not even worth the trouble IMO. Yes a launch is always pretty cool but the launch is essentially just a high tech lift hill.

I'm pretty confident both Dollywood and RMC will be just fine.

And I'm willing to bet my life's savings that we will see another launched wooden coaster.

People, stuff like this happens all the time in all industries. It will be okay.

This thread has been pretty toxic over the past few weeks. I'm as excited as everyone else, but you guys need to relax. I'm sure everyone is trying their hardest to get this open - It's not like Dollywood or RMC are deliberately spiting us enthusiasts. Just be patient, I bet we will see this thing open within a month.

here's my speculation from the comfort of my desk chair...the thing simply wasn't going fast enough up the hill. being the keyboard engineer that i am, they probably need to swap some parts out and do some better calculations with the info they now have.

Keyboard engineering is fun.

I think there was a comment from RMC about cosistency at some point? Could be something as simple as the launch works but every few cycles it overheats, or trips out or something like that.

Which would take time to solve but not that big of a deal.

Last time I was at Dollywood was back in 2006... I NEED to return when Lightning Rod is done, but just wanted to point out that when I was there a decade ago (wow... it's so weird to say that it was a DECADE ago) Thunderhead was imo the best ride there. How's the old girl holding up? Still a goodie?

I was just listening to our local news station outside of Atlanta, GA. They were interviewing with a Dollywood publicist and discussing stuff about the park and also Lightning Rod. She said they are "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks". She wasn't specific, however. I'm not totally buying this YET. Thank goodness my family has season passes, we can return anytime this year and will try to make it to the park as soon as it opens.

Good to hear. My trip to Dollywood isn't until late May, so if "going to open the coaster in a couple of weeks" is true, then I should be fine.

It's a shame that all of these of delays have happened, but I guess it's better than opening it as is and having it be another Top Thrill Dragster (closed half of the time).

It's sad to say that may still be a gamble, but be optimistic.

I'm still not putting my money into what that publicist said. My current thinking is that LR won't be open until AT LEAST the middle of next month. I mean, we still don't know what the exact problem really is regarding the launch, and I am hoping that the issue isn't anything major.

Finally we are seeing some signs of something going on with Lightening Rod. My friends and I have been keeping an eye on the status of Lightening Rod for the last couple of weeks in the hopes it might be up and running for the weekend of May 14th. I am still not very optimistic that Dolly's new toy will be ready by then but in the event it isn't we will head towards Indiana and Kentucky instead.

I'm really hoping they're speakers that play actual 50's songs with reving sounds. So it'll be like the train has the radio blasting on the local station as you get ready to take an evening "cruise"

I feel like less of a man for just reading this.

Of course the evening cruise was a sarcastic part, and I would like to hear actual 50's songs because most of the time Dollywoods produced songs for rides always seem to be "Disney-tized" with the dreamy sounds. (Mystery Mine, Wild Eagle, FCE) I just want music to be a big impact on this coaster. Anyway, I watched the video and counted 4 workers on the launch along with the crane. So hopefully they're getting it all fixed and all the kinks worked out. If they have to take all LSM's off and then install new ones, tweak those, then start the test cycle it will not be open by the end of April so let's not hope for that.

The article in today's USA today paper says the park hopes to have it open by late April.

This is big news, and I'm surprised its not getting more traffic. USA Today isn't some rag or blog, its USA Today, a national publication. If someone from the park (I assume someone high in the pecking order) is saying late April, this should be taken seriously.

Very good news. And if its not true, I would suspect someone from Dollywood would shoot this down very quickly (like today).

I'm really hoping they're speakers that play actual 50's songs with reving sounds. So it'll be like the train has the radio blasting on the local station as you get ready to take an evening "cruise"

I feel like less of a man for just reading this.

No you don't.