TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

The forecast I have for that day is sunny and 55. So take it with a grain of salt, but IMHO, that's good ridin' weather.

All I care is that Friday is looking like Sunny and 65! Perfect weather for a quick jaunt behind the hills of Juke Box Junction.

If'n ya'll know's what I mean. And by know's what I mean, I mean riding Lightning Rod!

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Posted Images

The forecast I have for that day is sunny and 55. So take it with a grain of salt, but IMHO, that's good ridin' weather.

All I care is that Friday is looking like Sunny and 65! Perfect weather for a quick jaunt behind the hills of Juke Box Junction.

If'n ya'll know's what I mean. And by know's what I mean, I mean riding Lightning Rod!

Boy I hope you are right. I'm taking my dad that day and for whatever reason I would like to share riding my first RMC with him....Probably sounds a bit oversentimental given I'm talking about a rollercoaster, but still. I feel like it'd be nice to share such a new experience with the man that gave me the opportunity to ride the Beast when I was 5, against my mom's word (THANKS DAD!)

What are everyone's thoughts on how impactful this ride will be to Dollywood? Obviously it will be a hit, like any new coaster. But does this have the potential to do for Dollywood what Millennium Force did for Cedar Point? Nonetheless, I'm excited to check this one out!

^I think there is a substantial chance of that happening. I feel like the hype machine behind LR is much more intense that for Wild Eagle. If LR is as good as we expect it to be, there is a very real chance of it being the top new coaster of the year, and it definitely could be a top ranked woodie, and overall coaster as well.

^ I agree! I mean, this is the worlds first launched wooden coaster! That's a huge deal! I think this is going to open up a very bright future for the park.

It is honestly like Tennessee Tornado and Thunderhead had a kid. A kid with beautiful cherry red trains that shine perfectly in the Tennessee sun. Yes I do think this will be another coaster to put Dollywood on the map. They've been going up ever since Wild Eagle (by going up I mean taking things to the next level). They were actually taking baby steps by doing that back in '07 with Mystery Mine, but Lightning Rod is visually pleasing and I'm sure it will not disappoint. I literally laughed when the workers came to a dead hault when I drove towards the bridge/pre launch. It was like they were saying "nothing's going on, everybody don't move". When I see the car slowly stopping and an enormous coaster literally 15ft from my truck.

Edited by Dollywoodlover20
Does anyone know if there will be a media day for LR?

No, of course not. Why would they have a media day? That would be a very unusual thing for an opening of a roller coaster.

What are everyone's thoughts on how impactful this ride will be to Dollywood? Obviously it will be a hit, like any new coaster. But does this have the potential to do for Dollywood what Millennium Force did for Cedar Point? Nonetheless, I'm excited to check this one out!

I think that LR will bring more guests to a park that was already high on a theme park travelers list, but to be compared to Ceader Point in that way, you have to realize that the two parks have very different agendas in terms of how they do things. I have never been to Ceader Point, but by god i'll get there one day. As a man with a young child, alot of the more family orientated parks seem to be the ones that best suit a vacation for us. We're doing Hershey and Knoebels this June. Next year i'm highly considering Kennywood and Waldameer as our trip. That is the appeal Dollywood want's to keep. (does Dollywood need a Millennium Force, Skyrush, Fury 325 type ride? Heck ya they do) I feel they'll get there one day, they have tons of room to expand, they may have to pay more to do it then most parks due to land work, but the land is there, and i know they got the money. Ceader Point is all about intensity, and god bless them for what they do. (they will take my money someday) Just saying that they are two very different types of parks.

Yes! I think the trajectory of their progress is super interesting. They've been exploding in the last decade with really solid, consistent additions, while most parks (like Six Flags parks especially, I'm thinking), have generally been much more conservative in their expansions. And not only that, but Dollywood has somehow been able to maintain that non-corporate, family-friendly feel. They went from having one stand out ride, to having a super solid line up of 6, well-worth-riding coasters, in under a decade. I mean, that much quality is somewhat of a rarity. It puts Dollywood in a very small select group of parks (I'm thinking SDC, BGW, BGT, Holiday World ...maybe Sea World?) where the number of great rides far surpasses the emphasis on total quantity. And for Dollywood, this happened very quickly. In my mind, Dollywood has always been somewhat of a 'small park', especially because it was so non-corporate in feel. But you can't really call it a small park any more. it's awesome to see a park be so intentional about it's coaster line-up as a whole, rather than just going for knock-offs and cheap thrills.

I think Thunderhead put Dollywood on the map. I think Mystery Mind kicked off their commitment to expansion, and I think Lightning Rod will kind of solidify the transition from small park to MAJOR hit.

And what's best, is that they probably won't stop here!

still haven't seen any photos of the quad down. They don't want to spoil the most photogenic part of the ride, I guess.

I think its hard to take pictures of it, because of it being so low to the ground.

Hmmm, very interesting. I just now seen the commercial for the coaster on TV. Didn't have any date on it, just "Spring 2016" but it is running now and I usually see commercials running for them from now until the end of summer. Danny Robbins commented on IG that he's not too sure if it'll open Friday. The test video hasn't been filmed yet because they haven't had enough time to get a film crew out to film it due to all the work being done. Someone asked if cycle testing was done and he said "definitely not"

May Dolly's magic give Lightning Rod a successful block check testing with two trains. HFE/Dollywood is too great of a company to root against or doubt. A second train most likely means that they (RMC and/or Dollywood) is comfortable with how the ride is currently testing.

As for a Media Day, I'm sure something is planned (if all goes according to the ambitious plan), but enthusiast groups aren't always on top of the invite list. I have been able to attend two media day events, and I can't be more thankful to both of those hosting parks/companies. They do not by any means have to invite enthusiast groups, so when they do it is a generous bonus as opposed to any kind of obligation. I'm sure something is scheduled under the assumption Dolly and RMC's magic will work in time for March 19th, but we haven't heard much as the event might not be as "open" as other media day events have been for other attractions.

P.S.: If I was the czar of Dollywood, I would not approve of a spokesperson getting on the news and talking as much as they did about a new coaster if I didn't think it had a decent chance of being a part of the exciting Opening Weekend the interview was all about.