Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 734 - Lightning Rod closed for remainder of 2020 season

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a time in my life when I would have cared what Lightning Rod was made of.  So refreshing to give precisely zero effs. I just want to go to Dollywood and not worry about it being open! 

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and wh

You mean like this. . . (pssst, all wooden coasters run on steel rails, well, with the exception of the flying turns)   Also, who would have thought the first RMC coaster to get the RM

Posted Images

On Instagram they just posted that they're installing the last piece of support structure (I'm not sure if that means that they're already supported the 2 access roads where the first drop is) Idk how long it takes to install track but if not this weekend I'm sure tracking will be done and testing started by next weekend.

Is the prevailing thought that this will still be able to make preview day? We're hoping to head down opening weekend and we're cautiously optimistic but you have to admit this seems overly ambitious.

"cautiously optimistic" seems fair.

Wicked Cyclone - last track installed 4/20, first test 5/6, media day 5/20

Twisted Colossus - last track installed ~4/18, testing by 4/29, media day 5/21

Goliath - last track installed ~5/24, testing 5/31, media day 6/18

Iron Rattler - last track installed 3/15, testing by 4/2, media day 5/15

Goliath had the tightest schedule, so going on that, if LR has any hope, they need to finish track by 2/22 (still possible!) and cross their fingers that the launch system doesnt give them any trouble.

See this was my only worry about Dollywood getting a RMC was the previous delays that the recent RMC's had had. Mystery Mine was the only coaster that didn't open on opening day and that was because they wanted it to have a "Friday the 13th" opening. If LR doesn't open on schedule, a lot of people that are traveling down on opening day will be disappointed and Dollywood knows that, which is why they're trying to hurry. RMC said the last bent was in place so the only thing to do now is finish the remaining track.

I will say I do feel confident that Dollywood will have this completed in a week or two. Not sure about the theming around the area and station, and the refurb of JJ, but the coaster yes.

Let's not forget that the 4 RMCs listed there were at Six Flags parks who generally don't have their rides ready by opening day. Generally shooting for Memorial Day weekend openings or later.

I'm beyond excited for this coaster. I don't think I've been more excited for a new coaster before honestly. Lightning Rod looks to shoot straight up the top of my list of fav coasters when I finally get my hands on it!

Yeah, I'm even excited for Thunder Rod to start testing! Just watching those trains crest the top of that hill will be sweet. I'm going sometime in the middle of July, where Ill get to try out Thunder Rod for myself! Boom!

3 questions:

1. Does anyone know if track work has been completed yet?

2. Heading down over Easter Weekend. Would Saturday before Easter or the Monday after Easter be better for attending?

3. Has anyone used the Fun Time Trolley to park and get to the park as opposed to paying for parking at Dollywood? Thoughts on using it, or should I just pony up the $12 for parking?

3 questions:

2. Heading down over Easter Weekend. Would Saturday before Easter or the Monday after Easter be better for attending?

3. Has anyone used the Fun Time Trolley to park and get to the park as opposed to paying for parking at Dollywood? Thoughts on using it, or should I just pony up the $12 for parking?

Don't know, but my guess is yes, or in the next day or two.

Definitely Monday.

The Trolly is awesome. You get a great trip down the Pigeon Forge strip depending where you get on. Just allow for time as it makes several stops on the way to Dollywood.

3 questions:

I would think the Monday after Easter would be best.

The Fun Time Trolley from Patriot Park is usually a decent option. During busy times (usually leaving the park in the evenings), the trolley can be packed with standing room only but it's only a 5 minute ride from Patriot Park to Dollywood and is only $0.50 per person. Also, Patriot Park is located at the Old Mill Village and you can get a delicious meal at the Old Mill Pottery House Café! For Pigeon Forge, the Patriot Park trolley is the only trolley that picks up at Dollywood.

RMC just posted this...pretty interesting to see if other smaller parks start getting RMC's more often.

Isn't this the same layout as the t-Rex track they posted? But this one has wood track instead.

Certainly looks that way.

I swear I was just now posting the EXACT same pictures! Haha But yes, I would actually guess that they finished the quad down's entire stretch within a day. In that video, Pete said that even though the crew could handle TN's snow and cold weather, their hardest task was LR's steep and rugged terrain mixed with the heavy rain they've had. Plus if you've had any personal experience with Tennessee mud or "clay" as I like to call it mixed with rain, the stuff is like pure quicksand at times and very slick.

This is such a damn beautiful ride. Amazing use of terrain, with a smoothly flowing layout that blends into the environment perfectly. I am so hyped to see the POV when it is finally released. It is one of the very few coasters hat has a realistic shot of being crowned the best overall coaster in the entire world. Dollywoid and RMC have come up with a very special design.

Also, I've never been to Dollywood, but looking at how secluded the "layout" side of the mountain/hill is, night rides should be top notch and completely pitch black. CP is on the dockett for 2016, but this is at the top of my 2017 list for sure!

How long of a lifespan do you think RMC's have? Do you think they will last as long as traditional wooden coasters like Racer or Cyclone or will they eventually end up like steel coasters where they only have "so much time"?

I would think with the topper track it would be best of both worlds. It can stay around for a long time with maitenence but not call for as much maitenence as a traditional woodie. For I-box track, I believe the same applies, but it would call for a complete remake of mainly the track itself. It could be a bit more of a price tag, however it is just a guess.

Either way, I don't think this would be an issue we would see in any near future in the first place.