TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I think the steel wheels on Outlaw Run have been pretty tough on the track and I think RMC was even suggesting adding the poly wheels to OR, but SDC didn't wish to.

Outlaw Run would never complete it's course using poly wheels.

Exactly because of this:

All coasters ride on steel track. The speed is lost with the plastic wheels. Steel wheels have extremely low friction with steel track.

^ I'm no engineer but all that really looks like is rust.

Is there actually any truth to the steel wheels tearing up the track? This is the first I've heard of it and I'm trying to figure it out. The top steel beam on the topper track replaces the top two layers of traditional track. It's pumped full of concrete so it will remain solid and is then covered by the steel running plate (which is what is rusted in the picture). If anything SDC might have to replace the steel running plate, but I'm having a hard time imagining they need to replace all of the track. OR isn't the first coaster to use steel wheels on topper track. There are a number of existing roller coasters out there that have had portions of their track replaced with topper track that use steel wheels. That track also probably takes more of a beating from fixed axle cars that those coasters use.

What time of the year are the bees typically out and creating "havoc?" I'm heading there Easter weekend and the week after...is this something that I should worry about at this time of year?

Also, I was looking at some other leisure activities in the area and am thinking about doing a zip line, horse back riding, hiking, and possible white water rafting. Climb Works and Adventure Zip Lines look interesting... do any of you have a preference between those two, should we do another company...and what company to use for the other stuff? I would also take some recommendations for a hiking trail in the Smokies.

Lastly, because my friends and I will be down in the area for Easter, we are also looking for a large protestant church to go to on Easter morning. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Semi unrelated but I'll be there Easter Weekend (from Friday the 25th to Monday the 28th) maybe I'll see ya there.

Also this shot is from 2013 and the track already looked like that. Would it really need retracking so fast? I wish I had better pictures to look at to actually compare it from opening day to now as well as the wear and tear on the other RMCs. However if it was wearing down that fast I doubt Hershand would double down on their investment with RMC and make Lightning Rod

Haha guys I was joking with the rust look on the track. I'd assume that's just normal wear and whethering. If that were the case, Tennessee Tornado would've needed to be fixed a LONG time ago.

You failed sarcasm class in high school, didn't you?

Apparently I failed it as well because I thought he was dead serious haha.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2012/08/scott-and-carol-present-outlaw-run-at.html

Also according to this, the rust is for thematic effect.

Haha guys I was joking with the rust look on the track. I'd assume that's just normal wear and whethering. If that were the case, Tennessee Tornado would've needed to be fixed a LONG time ago.

Tennessee Tornado was purposely painted a color known as rust red.

Been a long day lol. Yes I knew that the OR track was not due to the train because I've seen similar ish on other wooden coasters, and I know TT was painted that color. I was 6 years old when it opened and we have home video of me watching it go around the track even at that age. I was ready to jump on haha. So yea it's been that color since day 1. I was actually meaning the greenish/discoloration that's formed on parts on it over the years. Mostly around the pre lift area.

If you look closely where Red's Diner is you can see the new shed/eating area. It has a purplish blue color to it. I love it! I have a feeling that this new JJ that we're going to walk into is going to be very colorful and vibrant, which was originally the whole plan if you've seen the original concept art. Well this concept art is one that was on a Food City brochure and is of Dollywood Boulevard, but really I see the two as one. (Adventures in Imagination doesn't really fascinate me to be honest)

image.jpeg.240e1872e32e3465f598b255243835c3.jpeg