TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

I mean, honestly, it's not going to be my number one coaster by any standard, so I have no emotional attachment...

How can you be so sure it won't? What would it need to make it your number one?

Just to add my .02, Millennium Force hauls over that main drop and it is 80 degrees. It has a lot to do with drop radius.

Great point, same can be said for I305 and Skyrush. Both of which travel over the crest of the drop very fast (Like LR will). Skyrush has ejector airtime over the crest and then extreme ejector on the steepest part of the drop. Why is it impossible for LR to have this when it's literally launching up the hill?

A lot of people are disappointed this coaster doesn't have an inversion. I would actually love one on it, but I'm content we finally have an RMC and the JJ is actually get some love after looking the TWD after 5-10 years. As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

A lot of people are disappointed this coaster doesn't have an inversion. I would actually love one on it, but I'm content we finally have an RMC and the JJ is actually get some love after looking the TWD after 5-10 years. As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Oh my! Where to begin? Im either picturing Ricky and the guys from Trailer Park Boys or maybe the offspring of the cast of Hillbilly Hand Fishing.

As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Well, this settles it for me. I hope we can all move on now.

As far as speed/airtime. I live in the mountains right? I've done two types of tests (the only kind I can do with what I have). I took my fourwheeler with my cousin on the back yesterday and I found a hill that was near the angle of LR's launch. I at first went up it at an increasing 45mph. Once I reached the top we came off the ground and got "ejector" air. My cousin just got a bit more. We tried it again with me still going at 45 ten decelerating to 35. Got the same result but not as powerful. I then tried it in my truck with the hill up to my house. Of course I burned rubber at the bottom so I had to start over. The truck gave a more realistic feel to LR and once you got to the top of my hill, you go over this dip (which needs to be fixed). Anyway that at 35 gave a slight pop out of my seat.

Well, this settles it for me. I hope we can all move on now.

Truce!

Well I just got half the south laughed at and made a fool of myself, anyway.... Moving on.

I thought your post was incredibly entertaining and fun! If I didn't live in a flat area and had a four wheeler with a hill, I'd do the same thing!

^ You can't get ejector airtime (-1g) without upstop wheels, because at most your car will follow a zero-g curve.

Did you just attempt to define a subjective and very personal sensation with an objective number? I bet you anything I could design a curve that gives more than -1G and you would call it "floater" and not "ejector" airtime. I could also design a curve that barely gives more than 0G and it would be called "ejector" by those same standards. Jerk*

Also, the pitch of the vehicle as it descends will have an effect on the force felt by the rider. While you would be hard pressed to get as much as -1G in an automobile, it is not completely impossible to give the riders a negative force.

Jerk: The rate of change in acceleration over a period of time.

^In theory you cannot have less than 0 g without upstop wheels unless the trains have the aerodynamics of a sports car (which make the air flow press it against the road)

Also, it is a relatively subjective thing but I doubt we would ever call -1G floater air (while the sensation of ejector air can be achieved with less)

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's. You may be able to go from 1 to 0 g's very quickly with a nice pop (Like Thunderhead and many GCI's do), but it is still floater airtime.

If the passenger is wearing a seat belt, they cannot experience less than 0 g's without the whole car being off the ground. That's the theory of relativity, my friend.

Although people subjectively use the terms "Floater" and "Ejector" when describing their own experiences, I find that the two distinctions of airtime are objective: Floater is 0-1 g's and Ejector is anywhere less than 0 g's. You may be able to go from 1 to 0 g's very quickly with a nice pop (Like Thunderhead and many GCI's do), but it is still floater airtime.

If the passenger is wearing a seat belt, they cannot experience less than 0 g's without the whole car being off the ground. That's the theory of relativity, my friend.

Actually, our bodies measure weight as the normal force (or force exerted by surface on which you stand/sit on your body) At 0G, there isn't actually zero gravity, but it feels that way because the normal force of your seat pushing on your butt is equal to 0. That's why a pure freefall feels "weightless". If you're wearing a seatbelt, you can most definitely feel negative G forces, you're essentially falling upwards. The only thing is that you'll feel pressure on your thighs from the seatbelt (normal force of the seatbelt) as if you were being hung upside down and being held by said seatbelt.

Actually, our bodies measure weight as the normal force (or force exerted by surface on which you stand/sit on your body) At 0G, there isn't actually zero gravity, but it feels that way because the normal force of your seat pushing on your butt is equal to 0. That's why a pure freefall feels "weightless". If you're wearing a seatbelt, you can most definitely feel negative G forces, you're essentially falling upwards. The only thing is that you'll feel pressure on your thighs from the seatbelt (normal force of the seatbelt) as if you were being hung upside down and being held by said seatbelt.

Obviously I know how airtime works, but I'm talking about this specific example here. You can't feel negative forces (Only 0 and above) in a automobile cresting a hill, that was my whole point. The car needs to be forced downward for your body to be pulled up to feel ejector airtime, and the car cannot be forced downward without being physically attached to the road (under normal circumstances). It is impossible to have negative forces (Ejector airtime) in a normal automobile.

Edited by chickenbowl

The center of mass of the vehicle will not have less than 0G without aerodynamic help, but the passengers in the vehicle can have a different sensation based on their seating position and the pitch of the vehicle.

Oh yeah, this is definitely a good point, haven't thought of that.