TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Whenever you type in the L word, it automatically corrects to lockers. Right now I am actually typing the L word but watch.....lockers! Try it yourself, it's the same with that coaster at SFMM...the one named like an energy drink, because otherwise it would come out as Full Throttle). I think it is hilarious honestly

Lockers man...lockers!

Anyway, back on topic. This launched coaster that may be coming in 2016 intrigues me. People are thinking a launched RMC, which would be awesome. But am I the only one envisioning a potential launched B&M invert that hugs the terrain? Either way...exciting!!

Actual photos coming soon...this screenshot from Google Earth shows the approximate path of the two lines of flags I saw going up the hillside. I believe this pretty much proves this is going to be a dueling/racing coaster. Now...to figure out what kind! I'll still be rooting for either RMC or Mack Launched!

Just look at the potential for this area though! There is a huge chunk of land back there that Dollywood new they would have a difficult time expanding into, so they are utilizing it the best way possible! While I'm sure the coaster will in no way cover the entire area I've outlined below...they've got quite the sandbox to play with, and this gets me to the point where I can't wait for 2016!

I was the one who made the original post about the survey markers. It appears they are still there...its just hard to see them since the forest is greening up and a few might be missing from being out all winter.

From screamscape:

Shot Rod / New Coaster - (4/2/15) I believe we have the name to Dollywood's 2016 hot rod themed attraction. Herschend files for a new trademark to use the name SHOT ROD on March 19th, 2015. The description of the application says "Entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park ride, namely, a roller coaster with a classic car theme".

Yup but screamscape has been a littler slower than most of us on here.. I believe someone posted that here a few days before screamscape had it

Also screamscape is just reporting the completes removal of cas walkers as still a rumor.. I sent them a tip that it is 100% true but haven't seen them really update it from a rumor yet.. I guess they are waiting on pictures but I didn't want to steal whosever picture was posted in this thread lol

Yup but screamscape has been a littler slower than most of us on here.. I believe someone posted that here a few days before screamscape had it

Also screamscape is just reporting the completes removal of cas walkers as still a rumor.. I sent them a tip that it is 100% true but haven't seen them really update it from a rumor yet.. I guess they are waiting on pictures but I didn't want to steal whosever picture was posted in this thread lol

Here are some pics of Cas Walkers gone.

I also was told some very interesting news at the park today. I was told by a MM employee, that the real reason the ride was down, was that last week, one of the cars became stuck on one of the lifts and had to have an evac done. when the evac was done, the gate was not shut back by the evac team. This was not caught the next morning when the pre-opening safety check was being performed and the ride was opened. A male rider was riding and put his arms out and the gate that was left open hit his arm and broke it. He said Dollywood had to leave the ride closed until someone from the state came and performed a check/investigation due to an injury such as this and it being an employee/park fault. Interesting to see what becomes of this if it is true. I have not saw anything in any newspaper or anywhere about the injury though. Thoughts?

Cas1.thumb.jpg.09066b74b39032c72b6bbd0b099e830d.jpg

Cas2.thumb.jpg.ce42864350ba79e0ebad617dafa29b9a.jpg

Cas3.thumb.jpg.d57f6801cd6d5ffb3ce643c31bb06906.jpg

Cas4.thumb.jpg.da607a7a131688b1c24285dd25b59471.jpg

Yeah I would probably take that with a grain of salt about MM. For one thing the OTSR's are pretty restrictive with how much you can move your arms around. And wouldn't the clearance envelope testing have to include this gate -both open and closed, in the process? I would have to think so. AND when you are on the lift where the evac platforms are, you are not going fast at all. You're under the control of the lift chain or the advancing wheels. Idk...seems too bizarre.

And Dollywood isn't going to discuss it publicly. There has to be numerous incidents every season that we never ever hear about it (at every park), so if this is true, it wouldn't be any different. Only when something is newsworthy, like when Timber Tower was stuck at the top for several hours, would people be concerned on a greater level...and Dollywood would share that concern as well.

"Paul's Music Shop is a façade for Dollywood's Central Dispatch, which monitors the weather and other stuff. Here's a news story from 2011 about that...its interesting."

Thanks for sharing that story! It's interesting how they showed Wild Eagle's lift hill in the footage prior to it's opening (obviously during construction). Now I'm wondering, what's on the other corner of the Pines Theater building, opposite of Paul's? Also, just who's office is above the former Apple Jack's location (Dolly's old apartment)? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

"Paul's Music Shop is a façade for Dollywood's Central Dispatch, which monitors the weather and other stuff. Here's a news story from 2011 about that...its interesting."

Thanks for sharing that story! It's interesting how they showed Wild Eagle's lift hill in the footage prior to it's opening (obviously during construction). Now I'm wondering, what's on the other corner of the Pines Theater building, opposite of Paul's? Also, just who's office is above the former Apple Jack's location (Dolly's old apartment)? Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

The other corner is actually storage for the Pines Theater and the exit hall. The offices above the old Apple Jack's is the Park VP and their assistant and the merchandise directors office.

I could be wrong, but that MM story seems a little far fetched...

It does but I also heard from maintenance that a rider broke his arm.

So I am likely believing it personally. Maybe not all the details but I believe someone broke their arm.. The question is how

But I take it the ride is still closed?

I'm here today and there are fresh stakes & ribbons going up the hill more prominently. In the pic below you can easily see the green ribbons on the right going up in a straight line. To the left are more flags forming a separate line. Definitely something getting started on the hill!

image.thumb.jpg.85b9562475aa81fd8e5e2381af9396be.jpg

Here's another shot from where Cas Walker's was so you can see where those new green ribbons are lined up. There are 2 rows of stakes and to the far left is a handful of red ribbons that you can't really see in this photo...but the green ones are definitely in straight lines shooting directly back from Jukebox Junction.

I also spoke to someone that confirmed this is where the "new addition" will be located that Dolly will announce in August.

image.thumb.jpg.9b340873e55ca7293696f3197e8d47c4.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts but there are surveyors on the hill right now planting the stakes. You can barely see a guy in Orange in this pic to the right of the water tower and a green stake down to the left of him. He is making a new line from around Cas walker's shooting up to the left.

image.thumb.jpg.1be9fc618d35c65a88c1fe8ef8b025f9.jpg

Also, we were at Rockin' Roadway this morning when it first opened and the very first people to ride didn't even make it around the track before it shut down. They started it back up about 10 minutes later and it shut down again for those people made it around. I really think this is the last year for Rockin' Roadway.

Also, we were at Rockin' Roadway this morning when it first opened and the very first people to ride didn't even make it around the track before it shut down. They started it back up about 10 minutes later and it shut down again for those people made it around. I really think this is the last year for Rockin' Roadway.

That's too bad, as it's pretty good, as car rides go. Well, onward and upward.

The current cycle of screamscape is that rumors will get started on TPR, then someone emails Lance about it, then someone else posts it back on TPR as "proof". Screamscape has been slowly getting more and more behind the times over the last few years. Lance is a cool guy, but his process was built for the early 2000's and he needs to update not only his site, but the way he researches and reports things. I think he simply doesn't have the time these days.

People have been talking about Rockin Raceway going away for ages now. It seems like it's reasonably popular though, despite it's issues. Is there really no reason to believe that it won't live on in some fashion even with the new coaster?