TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 791: Big Bear Mountain family coaster announced for 2023!

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120822005198/en/Dollywood-Company-President-Ken-Bell-Retires-Dec

After more than a quarter century at the helm, industry veteran and park innovator Ken Bell is retiring from his role as President of The Dollywood Company. Under his leadership Dolly Parton’s theme park has garnered the theme park industry’s highest honor, the Applause Award, and achieved the status as the number one show park in the world. In addition, Bell grew Parton’s park to include an award-winning waterpark, Dollywood’s Splash Country, and launched a hospitality company. Bell also sits on the boards of directors for Parton’s Dixie Stampede and Pirate’s Voyage dinner theatre chain.

Parton announced that Craig Ross, industry veteran, will assume the role as The Dollywood Company President, effective immediately.

“After nearly two years of working with Craig, I know he’s the person who can continue the successes Ken has built for my Dollywood Company over the years,” Parton said. “I am looking forward to the future!”

Ross has worked for more than 30 years in the theme park industry with the last year spent as Vice-President and General Manager of Dollywood under Bell. Ross’ first season marked the launch of Wild Eagle, the first wing coaster in the US and the park’s largest capital addition to date.

“I am honored to soon have this very special opportunity to carry on the high level of quality and balanced leadership that the Dollywood team has come to expect. I am thrilled to have such a wonderful and talented team to help me grow The Dollywood Company and its world-class brand,” Ross said.

Based in the picturesque Great Smoky Mountains, Dollywood is a 150-acre family adventure park which operates nine months a year (late March through December) and offers more than 40 rides and attractions; award-winning live entertainment featuring country, bluegrass, gospel and mountain music; and a dozen crafters authentic to the East Tennessee region. A family-friendly vacation destination, Dollywood also includes the 35-acre Dollywood’s Splash Country, voted America’s “Must-See Waterpark.” Dollywood offers all-inclusive vacation planning with a variety of overnight lodging options. For more information, call 1-800-DOLLYWOOD or visit www.dollywood.com.

Quick question because i don't remember. Backpacks, does dollywood have a bin for each ride? I remember that TT does but cant remember if TH does and does Wild Eagle have a place as well?

Yes, they all have bins in the station. No lockers required.

Quick question because i don't remember. Backpacks, does dollywood have a bin for each ride? I remember that TT does but cant remember if TH does and does Wild Eagle have a place as well?

The only rides that do not have bins are the water rides. You will have to get lockers or have someone hold your bags for you.

The only rides that do not have bins are the water rides. You will have to get fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo or have someone hold your bags for you.

Has this changed? It's been a few years but the last time I was at Dollywood, Daredevil Falls had bins and IIRC they allowed you to take your backpack/bag with you on River Rampage and Slidewinder as long as you didn't mind it getting wet.

^I actually think you are correct on Daredevil Falls, it has been a couple of years since I've been on it. Also, Slidewinder does have bins but they are at the bottom of the hill/exit of the ride. There are no bins in the loading station as it is not a full-circuit ride. And yes, if you don't mind getting your bag wet, you may take it on Rampage.

^Awesome! Pretty odd about the crowds being so low the last couple of Saturdays.

Edit: Just remembered it is race weekend up in Bristol. Everyone is drunk right now watching cars go around in circles.

Edited by ernierocker

Also, Slidewinder does have bins but they are at the bottom of the hill/exit of the ride. There are no bins in the loading station as it is not a full-circuit ride.

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember seeing them now; just have never used them.

Daredevil Falls does not have bins. They make you take the bags with you. Only place my group experienced rude employees last Monday (fist time in ANY visit ever, actually).

Yeah, you're right. It's just a shelf but they always allowed you to place your drinks and sundries there. Don't know about bags.

I am very interested to see how Dollywood's water coaster turns out. The last time HFE attempted one (BuzzSaw Falls, SDC, 1999) was a disaster. It broke down constantly, the roller coaster part was way too short, and they had these odd shields that prevented you from actually getting wet. I went on it once, and then decided to go back to the (then) 30-year old American Plunge log flume, as it was more fun.

Now, since then, HFE have built some killer rides--Wildfire and Powder Keg are great, and by all accounts, Thunderhead and Wild Eagle are similarly outstanding. So it seems that HFE have learned quite a bit in the last dozen years, and I'm really hoping this water coaster is much closer to Divertical. I saw the TPR video of that one, and my first thought was "Why wasn't BuzzSaw Falls something like this?"

I am very interested to see how Dollywood's water coaster turns out. The last time HFE attempted one (BuzzSaw Falls, SDC, 1999) was a disaster. It broke down constantly, the roller coaster part was way too short, and they had these odd shields that prevented you from actually getting wet. I went on it once, and then decided to go back to the (then) 30-year old American Plunge log flume, as it was more fun.

Now, since then, HFE have built some killer rides--Wildfire and Powder Keg are great, and by all accounts, Thunderhead and Wild Eagle are similarly outstanding. So it seems that HFE have learned quite a bit in the last dozen years, and I'm really hoping this water coaster is much closer to Divertical. I saw the TPR video of that one, and my first thought was "Why wasn't BuzzSaw Falls something like this?"

River Blast is being built by ProSlide, and its not the first model ever made, so it should operate as reliably as the other ProSlide water coasters do, Wildebeast at Holiday World is one example. Divertical, is made by Intamin, so the Dollywood water coaster will be nothing like Divertical in any way. If anything, River Blast will share more similarities with Mountain Slidewinder than it would Divertical.

River Blast is being built by ProSlide, and its not the first model ever made, so it should operate as reliably as the other ProSlide water coasters do, Wildebeast at Holiday World is one example. Divertical, is made by Intamin, so the Dollywood water coaster will be nothing like Divertical in any way. If anything, River Blast will share more similarities with Mountain Slidewinder than it would Divertical.

Oh, wow. So it's one of those uphill water slides and not a roller coaster that splashes into water. All I've heard about Dollywood's new ride is "We're building a water coaster!" So naturally I thought it'd be like BuzzSaw Falls, Divertical, Journey to Atlantis, etc. It'd be nice if everyone used the same terminology....

The ride looks pretty awesome, really. I think that's the same kind as the one at Schlitterbahn, if I'm not mistaken. It's just confusing and frustrating to me to be calling it a coaster. I guess it's the same as the "skycoasters," but still, the term "water coaster" conjured up a very different kind of ride in my head. I can't be the only one, either.

Anyway, this and Wild Eagle will be two very compelling reasons to get out to Pigeon Forge soon, and a 50% discount is going to make it hard for us to say no.