TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

p. 751 - Lightning Rod expected to reopen with the park!

Who was at the park yesterday?!

T'was I! I'm not exactly a regular poster on here. But at least you can put a face to the username now.

And yes, just look at my face to see what I thought of Thunderhead. Seriously though. I LOVE this coaster. So wild! So relentless! Once over the lift hill, there is no letting up. Without a doubt my favourite ride at the park. Was wondering when I'd get round to riding a 'thrilling' GCI woodie and Dollywood provided me with just that!

It was great to finally visit this park after years of pining/dreaming/daydreaming. The architecture is amazing and the landscaping is beautiful. I instantly fell in love with the parks 'natural' setting. Mystery Mine was fantastic! I kept away from POV's so effects/layout took me by complete surprise (as these sort of rides should). The ride sure likes to jerk you about. But then what should one expect with an out of control mine cart!

Tennessee Tornado is now my favourite Arrow Looper. Both the layout (especially the big 'ol loop) and the landscaping rock. That and the fact it's so darn smooth!

Wild Eagle was worth it for the views alone. The ride experience itself didn't exactly blow me away, but I still had FUN on this thing!

Queue's weren't too bad for a Saturday. I certainly got my money's worth ride count wise! And that was without purchasing Q2Q.

I would LOVE to return to this fantastic theme park some day. So roll on their next major roller coaster.

I've heard if the 2013 RMC coaster at Silver Dollar City is a success,Dollywood could possibly get a new wooden roller coaster in a few years. Also I'd say the next attraction at Dollywood is a new water ride of some sorts.

Edited by RCBoilermaker14
  • Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did I call this or what? Anyway, I did better side-by-side comparison for you.

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

You mean because now it might feel like it's... rolling and... coasting and... open?

Posted Images

Who was at the park yesterday?!

T'was I! I'm not exactly a regular poster on here. But at least you can put a face to the username now.

And yes, just look at my face to see what I thought of Thunderhead. Seriously though. I LOVE this coaster. So wild! So relentless! Once over the lift hill, there is no letting up. Without a doubt my favourite ride at the park. Was wondering when I'd get round to riding a 'thrilling' GCI woodie and Dollywood provided me with just that!

It was great to finally visit this park after years of pining/dreaming/daydreaming. The architecture is amazing and the landscaping is beautiful. I instantly fell in love with the parks 'natural' setting. Mystery Mine was fantastic! I kept away from POV's so effects/layout took me by complete surprise (as these sort of rides should). The ride sure likes to jerk you about. But then what should one expect with an out of control mine cart!

Tennessee Tornado is now my favourite Arrow Looper. Both the layout (especially the big 'ol loop) and the landscaping rock. That and the fact it's so darn smooth!

Wild Eagle was worth it for the views alone. The ride experience itself didn't exactly blow me away, but I still had FUN on this thing!

Queue's weren't too bad for a Saturday. I certainly got my money's worth ride count wise! And that was without purchasing Q2Q.

I would LOVE to return to this fantastic theme park some day. So roll on their next major roller coaster.

I'm glad you liked it because it's one of my all time favorite parks! Mystery Mine has such amazing theming, it's one of my favorite coasters out there! But, it really hurts your "crotch area" at the end...

Yeah, I had a chat with Pat Koch (lovely lady) about Dollywood's desire to install a Water Coaster next year. Their management had popped round to have a go on Wildebeest/Mammoth for research purposes. I'm not surprised that the experience left a great impression!

And Mystery Mine didn't abuse my crotch in any shape or form, thankfully!

Edited by WildMouse

I've heard if the 2013 RMC coaster at Silver Dollar City is a success,Dollywood could possibly get a new wooden roller coaster in a few years.

Even though I know plenty of parks have two or more wooden coasters (and some fairly close in age), when I first heard that rumor I still thought "But why? How different could a new one even be?" However, the more I hear about the one at SDC, the more I hope Dollywood gets a similar one as well.

^That rumor always sounded like it originated from the fan boys rather than anyone actually associated with the park. Why would the park add three major looping coasters in a row? They need to get back to the base of younger families, hopefully with something unique. I would love to see them add a dark ride. Both SDC and DW used to have such emphasis on the custom dark rides with FITH, Blazing Fury, the Flooded Mines, Rube Dugin's, etc... They could really do something amazing these days, and it would be a whole lot more unique and fulfilling to the park experience than just another ride off a manufacturer's shelf.

^Valid points, though I suppose the "few years" bit suggests they could put in some more family-friendly attractions in the interim.

At any rate, the new developments at SDC bode well for any park where a Rocky Mountain coaster is rumored. Silverwood anyone?

^ I can see Silverwood becoming a new test bed for RMC's products considering they're about a 5-10 minute drive away from the new RMC metal shop. I would also love to see them get another world class coaster just to slap the big corporate parks in the face with their awesomeness.

• 3 weeks later...

(please don't kill me if these are answered elsewhere, just not in the mood to go through 302 pages of stuff right now, while trying to book a trip)

1 - any chance for a TPR Dollywood event this year? Wife and I were wanting to go in either September or October (but we are slightly flexible)

2 - Will be our first visit here, do we need more than 1 day?

3 - October 3 starts the gospel music events, so I would assume that it would be less crowded the weekend before this starts?

4 - since park closes early (6p-7pm), any chance for night rides ? (didn't know what time sundown was there)

5 - November they are open to 9pm alot, so night rides seem plentiful. But is the weather in this park of the world cooperate that all the coasters are running?

Thanks for your help

(please don't kill me if these are answered elsewhere, just not in the mood to go through 302 pages of stuff right now, while trying to book a trip)

1 - any chance for a TPR Dollywood event this year? Wife and I were wanting to go in either September or October (but we are slightly flexible)

2 - Will be our first visit here, do we need more than 1 day?

3 - October 3 starts the gospel music events, so I would assume that it would be less crowded the weekend before this starts?

4 - since park closes early (6p-7pm), any chance for night rides ? (didn't know what time sundown was there)

Thanks for your help

1) Dollywood is one of the parks on the New Hotness Trip. With Deep South Bash already taking place at Six Flags Over Georgia (which is a part of the same tour), I wouldn't count on a TPR event this year.

2) If you get there right at opening and plan on staying until closing, you should be able to do the park in one day. This of course depends on if you are wanting to see all of the shows or not.

3) Even if the park is crowded that time of the year, as long as you don't go on a Saturday the lines for the rides will generally still be reasonble. The clientelle at Dollywood is much different than your Six Flags parks. A lot of people go there for the shows, entertainment and food over the rides.

4) If you went later in October after the time change, maybe.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

I am going for the first time on Sunday 29th. Looking forward to it big time. Are there any shows that are favorites of any one? The rest I know, Q-bot, cinnamon bread etc. etc.

Like above poster I will also be visiting Dollywood for the first time. I will be going this Sunday and have some questions for regulars to the park. I seem to have a general idea of what to expect, but the main question I'm having is about the Qbot. I've heard great things about it at all parks it is located at and it seems that at $15 it's a steal. I'm assuming that it's worth it on a weekend to get it as it will quickly pay for itself in my mind. Is this an accurate statement? Also, I'm unfamiliar with how the Qbot system works as I've never used it before. When reserving a ride time, how far in advance does it need to be? Also, can you reserve a ride multiple times or just once per ride until you ride it? Thanks for any info anyone can give, it will be most helpful.

^Get the Qbot. Even if the crowds are unusually light that day, for that price, you can take the gamble. Chances are though that it will be pretty crowded with it being peak summer season.

Qbot is simple. You can reserve one ride at a time. Your wait will be based off of the current stand-by wait time. So, if it is 1:00 and the stand-by line for Mystery Mine is 30 minutes, your Qbot will have a 1:30 reserve time listed by Mystery Mine. You can then reserve it, head towards the attraction and once it is time, you can enter the Qbot entrance and an attendant will scan your Qbot. As soon as this happens, you can select your next ride to reserve. So, while you are riding the ride, you are already waiting out the time for that next ride.

^Thanks for the info. Yeah, it definitely seems that regardless of crowds it's worth it at that price. Based on reports of significant attendance increases this year and with it being a summer weekend, I think we'll be getting the Qbot.

Google has updated their map of Dollywood...including Wild Eagle and Barnstormer.

Maybe I'm crazy, but does it look like there's a strange contortion in Wild Eagle's lift stairs to anyone else? About halfway up, it completely changes its angle, even though the track itself is straight.

Other than that, good to see that they updated it. It's really irritating when I'm trying to show the layout of a park to someone on Google Earth and have to use an aerial photo from more than eight years ago (the reason for why that happens is completely understandable, but still really annoying all the same.)