TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Powderkeg is reliable enough. It's not the most reliable ride at SDC, but the air launch itself isn't what causes most of the downtime, and it sure makes up for it in airtime anyway.

If Dollywood got a PK-type coaster, there's no way I'll be able to avoid making the long journey to Tennessee in 2012. It'd seriously boost DW's coaster collection among enthusiasts. These rides are amazing.

As far a Mountain Sidewinder goes, I don't think they'll rush to take it out yet. It's not in the same situation as the model at SDC was after it's refurbishment. As long as it's a crowd favorite, I think it's safe.

Any recent photos of the Barnstormer construction?

It would def be cool for an eagle version of the S&S Free Fly.

I agree about Mountain Slidewinder. It's still marketed as a favorite non-coaster ride, so hopefully that bodes well for its future.

They also have plenty of room to expand elsewhere on the property, outside of the current park boundaries. And i think its pretty clear that they are working towards developing the upper loop of the train, but who knows where this coaster will go. IMO, the Country Fair area is already jam packed at any time of day, so i would eliminate that area right off the bat. Really, with the exception of Wilderness Pass, I have a hard time seeing a large coaster going in an older area. Its obviously not impossible, but i'm not sure how probable it would be.

Regardless of where it goes or what it is, i welcome it with open arms!

I just went for the first time this weekend. Absolutely wonderful park! Thunderhead is relentless like a woodie should be. Mystery Mine is a fun diversion and Tornado is phenomenal smooth for an Arrow. I have no idea how they kept an Arrow that smooth. Blazing Fury is one of my new favorite rides (I love old dark rides.) The water rides weren't bad either but unfortunately Mountain Slidewinder was closed for construction of a new flat ride. The food was amazing as I've heard and everyone was so friendly. A+ park.

Screamscape (10/27/10):

2012 - Possible New Coaster - Rumor Only - (10/27/10) Bad news time… as a trusted Screamscape source tells us with confidence that Dollywood is not in talks with S&S for anything other than the Barnstormer right now, so all those dreams of tasty S&S coaster projects (El Loco, PowderKeg, a 4th Dimension Coaster) you all have been dreaming about just went up in smoke… for now at least. Still… Dollywood is in need of a new coaster in the near future anyway so something has to be in the works with some one. Maybe the Premier Rides rumor will pan out…

You don't have to worry about the Slidewinder...at least in the near future. I spoke with Pete Owens just a couple of weeks ago and they are building a new entrance for the ride where people won't have to climb up that monstrous hill to get to it. He didn't go into a lot of specifics, but it will take place with the construction of the Barnstormer.

You don't have to worry about the Slidewinder...at least in the near future. I spoke with Pete Owens just a couple of weeks ago and they are building a new entrance for the ride where people won't have to climb up that monstrous hill to get to it. He didn't go into a lot of specifics, but it will take place with the construction of the Barnstormer.

I think you mean they are rebuilding the stairway entrance/exit to the ride. You'll still have to climb the hill to get to the loading station. On the latest Barnstormer construction pics, you can see they've either torn that stairway up, or have come very close to it.

I think you mean they are rebuilding the stairway entrance/exit to the ride. You'll still have to climb the hill to get to the loading station. On the latest Barnstormer construction pics, you can see they've either torn that stairway up, or have come very close to it.

He really didn't go into too many specifics so I might be sightly confused BUT he did say the walk up the hill will be easier.

Am I the only one who wouldnt get ticked off if DW doesn't add a new coaster in the near future?

Probably.

The only way they could reconfigure the entrance to Slidewinder would be to have it go up the hill between Daredevil Falls and enter the existing boarding station from the opposite side. But, I do agree, that does sound good for the future of the ride!

Am I the only one who wouldnt get ticked off if DW doesn't add a new coaster in the near future?

Probably.

The only way they could reconfigure the entrance to Slidewinder would be to have it go up the hill between Daredevil Falls and enter the existing boarding station from the opposite side. But, I do agree, that does sound good for the future of the ride!

I know i'm always up for my home park building a new coaster! I'm wishing big for the Mack Launch Coaster!! , but if i had to settle for something, i'd settle for an Intamin Mega Lite (hint hint Dolly!!!!!!!)

I'm totally stumped as to what they could do to Slidewinder's sidewalk up the mountain to improve it. Maybe a small chair lift to the top, or a funicular?, but that seems like too much effort and money just to make the walk up easier, and that would be a big enough deal that they would have mentioned it when they announced Barnstormer. I really don't know. Re-routing the sidewalk seems like a lot of effort as well, and the exit would have to stay where it is now. I wonder if they are just revamping the whole bottom area of Slidewinder? That would make the most sense since they have construction equipment at that spot for Barnstormer. Though, i do agree too that any work on Slidewinder is indeed a good sign that it will be around for awhile. Maybe Pete will chime in?!!!!?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow they've already put it up that quickly? Great! I'm trying to think of the area where it'll be located specifically. I never thought of them building anything up near Slidewinder. It should be a great addition to the parks already good selection of rides! As for them building a new coaster, I wouldn't mind seeing something like Blue Fire at Europa. It'd be cool if they could build it in the area back behind Tennessee Tornado.

I know it has been posted in the IAAPA Thread, but I will repost it here... Dollywood won the most prestigious award in the amusement industry- the Applause Award! Here is the press release from Dollywood:

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn.—Dollywood received the 2010 Applause Award during a special ceremony at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions Expo in Orlando, Fla., on Nov. 16, 2010.

The Applause Award, the most prestigious award within the amusement and theme park industry, honors a park whose management, operations and creative accomplishments have inspired the industry with its foresight, originality and sound business development. The award is presented every other year by Liseberg amusement park located in Gothenburg, Sweden. For this 2010 award, Dollywood competed with Alton Towers in the UK and Phantasialand in Germany for the honor.

Entertainment legend and Dollywood owner Dolly Parton accepted the award for the park. “We are so honored to win this award. Our success over the last 25 years is because of the great team at Dollywood that I lovingly call my other family! All those folks back home cooking, cleaning, entertaining and landscaping – I am proud of every one of them,” Parton said. Dollywood’s Applause Award comes as the park completes a successful and eventful 25th anniversary season.

“This truly unique park shows an outstanding level of quality, especially regarding originality of theming in shows, rides, landscaping and attractions. The friendliness of staff and cleanliness of the park is extraordinary and this, combined with a dedicated leadership honoring family values, sets a tremendous example to the whole industry”, says Mats Wedin, President CEO Liseberg Group and Chairman of the Liseberg Applause Award Board of Governors.

Dollywood was one of three finalists for the honor in 2006, along with Legoland and the winning Universal’s Islands of Adventure. The family park Xetulul, located in the rainforests of Guatemala, won in 2008. Previous Applause Award winners include Epcot, Disneyland, Europa-Park, and Silver Dollar City.

I couldn't think of a more deserving park! Congrats to everyone at the 'Wood!

I couldn't think of a more deserving park! Congrats to everyone at the 'Wood!

I agree. I sometimes take it for granted, but I am really am fortunate to live close to such a fantastic park.

The park was amazing! Went for the first time this summer and I'm glad I FINALLY took the time to head there. I can see why the park received this award, can't wait to go back again in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like they got most of the barn structure up. It's looking really nice!

http://www.dollywood.com/land/barnstormer/index.html

Someone on another site brought up a good idea for a coaster. What if they used the old mansion building for a station? After looking at the terrain on Google Earth, a coaster would be possible in that area. I would really like to see them put something from B&M in because I loves me some B&M,lol. I always thought a flying coaster themed to an Eagle would be nice. It would go along with the sanctuary. Just a thought.

Is it me, or is there something different about the way they're setting up the air tanks on this thing? I'm pretty sure TGS at SDC has it's tanks off to the side of each support like most screamin swings, but it looks like DW's version has a completely different set up away from the ride itself. Does this mean the ride will be able to have a longer cycle?

^^ Yeah, It really is. I'm really excited for this, especially because I almost paid for the screamin' swing in Pigeon Forge the last time I went and didn't.

I'm curious if they will build anything else up there with the Barnstormer. Not a coaster of course(unless it's compact), but maybe another Thrill ride of some sort in the future. Maybe...a Drop Tower? =D I can't really remember how large the area is and of course I don't know how large of an area Barnstormer will take up.

I'm curious if they will build anything else up there with the Barnstormer. Not a coaster of course(unless it's compact), but maybe another Thrill ride of some sort in the future. Maybe...a Drop Tower? =D I can't really remember how large the area is and of course I don't know how large of an area Barnstormer will take up.

I may be wrong, but with the way the terrain is in that area, there will probably not be enough room for anything else. Plus, you have Daredevil Falls and the Slidewinder right in that same area. Other parks have of course done miracle work with fitting rides in small places but there is plenty of other places for new rides to go before they would need to squeeze one in there.

Edited by ernierocker