TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I like the intimidating look and how it towers above the rest of the buildings and rides but the it doesnt look real and come on...painted windows..could of done better than that IMO

But I'll give them credit for trying and besides, we dont know what the ride will be like inside...

Thanks for the update, been long since we had one

i wonder how much g's gonna pull in that kinda twisted dive loop

and that looks real hard if the shape's like sorta round loop lol...

Mystery Mines went beyond ol' ilustrations that designers came up

with the concept first!! totally that's be 'Old Country's Legend'.....

I'm going to be honest, I hated Dollywood when I went a couple years back. It had the "Old Country" theme and I didn't like that. However, Mystery Mine could have me back at this park over and over again. I just hope it lives up to the hype. I can't wait to see more updates.

Dollywood is a beautiful park. I like how they work with the natural beauty of the Smoky Mountains. They're the antithesis to the Cedar Fair concrete and trash cans motif. They really have their act together with theming, and they blow away other reportedly pretty parks like Holiday World in this area. I agree with the above statement that Dollywood's theming approaches big Florida park quality. This is amazing for a small park with no major corporate backing.

Yup, Dollyfood was pretty special. I had a good time, and my non-enthusiast wife even had a good time. (Holy crud! She rode the Veggie Tales coaster!)

It was strange, even though the park was so packed that you could barely walk, the rides didn't have that long of waits, with T-Head clocking in at about 30 minutes and everything else much shorter.

I pulled a dee de dee and left my cameras at home. (RCDB should be getting some new shots from the person I was with that day, though.)

^^ Agreed, I can see DW and the entire Hershend line of parks becoming a strong competitor to Six Flags (as if they don't have enough), Cedar Fair, and any other major theme park operator. Their mix of quality theming, rides, shops, shows, and overall experience is unparalleled as far as I have seen.

The Mystery mine amazes me, it's goes so far past the usual stereotype "big ole' steel gimmick" coasters that so many parks add when they get to a point such as DW has reached, I'm so pleased at what they have done. I'm so hoping that the trend of SDC getting rides parallel to DW a year after DW builds them continues.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't related to Mystery Mine, but I thought I would post it here anyway. Dollywood's parking lot is going to be quite extensively reworked over the next few years:

Mountain Press story

-The old Dollywood Lane entrance to the parking lot will be closed off to the public, all guests will now enter via Veteran's Boulevard/McCarter Hollow Road. (By Splash Country)

-McCarter Hollow Road will be widened to eight lanes, with four toll booths to enter the parking lot.

-Two new lots will be built.

-New stop for the PF and Gatlinburg trolleys.

This will all be completed by 2008. For 2007, McCarter Hollow will be temporarily widened with 2 exit lanes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I was browsing another Mystery Mine forum at TN, found a link to some new construction pics and video, and thought I would share it with everyone here. A local tv network in Knoxville got some really nice shots of a close to complete MM. Here is the link to a couple pictures and be sure to check out the video on the right hand side too: http://www.wbir.com/life/programming/local/liveatfive/story.aspx?storyid=41553

The scale of the mine looks more impressive than ever and I am very excited that they are theming the tressel section as much as I had hoped. The director of relations at Dollywood also mentioned in the thread that some new animation should be added to the official MM website in about 7-10 days so keep a lookout!

Friday, April 13th is the media day with Dolly, but the ride will be open when the park opens for the season a few weeks earlier.

Thanks for the tip! I was going to go down the weekend of April 13th, but now I think I'll try to go earlier. I guess I'm going to miss Dolly.

Edit: I just called Dollywood, and they told me it's going to open April 13th. I don't want to wait another 2 weeks.

^^ Must be a crossed wire at Dollyfood. I got it straight from park PR personnel that the ride will open with the park and the media day will be Friday the 13th of April.

i emailed dollywood a few days ago and this was more or less the answer i got.soft opening with the opening of the park.color me stoked.

One thing i noticed in the video. As it switches to the POV of the vertical lift housed inside the main building you see a dark sky, birds flying over head and lightning striking a sign that covers the hole (supposed to look like an escape route i guess.

Anywho, i reckon that's a screen that actually play's that as you are going up. which is just ingenious, i hope there are more things like that inside.

I hope that hasn't been said before but i'm not going to read every comment on all 32 pages hehe.

Looks sweeeeeeet!

From the viewpoint of the camera shot (pic 6) at Screamscape, it looks like the car couldn't possibly get through that "sexy piece of track," heh heh.

Kewl!