TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

My guess is because there are brakes at the end of the half loop going back into the building that the bigger drop is the second lift. Because all the twisty odd track and stuff could mean that the "Crusher" theming comes after the first outdoor section shown in the video. It shows the smaller lift and such first then the big ending climax in the video shows the roll oves and bigger drop. So I assume the smaller section comes first. The turns and all before the mini lift could make an impressive pre-ride lead up.

I've posted a trip report to Dollywood this week and I have some pictures of the heart-line roll in place included in the report. Feel free to take a look in the forums. It is listed as Photo TR Dollywood 10-21-06.

I tried to post the pictures to this thread but I' m still trying to figure out how these forums work.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah!

I just realised it opening on Friday the 13th, they obviously want this to be as scary as possible (Duh!)

By using my site plan I found, the smaller drop will be first.

The ride will proberbly go like this

It starts of with the dark ride bit with that grinder thingy, then go up the lift towards that video, then you go out side to the tressel part. Then you go back inside for the big lift (with possible theming and effects) then you drop again into the rollover+Halfloop then back to the station!

(Sorry for the late post)

I'm definitely confused about the layout. Didn't RCDB originally list only 2 inversions? Now they are saying that it has 3. I only see the heartline roll and the rollover. I think that the press release started to confuse people by calling the rollover a "double inversion", which apparently does not mean "two inversions."

During Mystery Mine's 2.5-minute journey, passengers encounter a 95-degree, 85-foot vertical drop in addition to a weightless inversion known as a "heart-line roll" and a "rollover loop" or double inversion which consists of an upward half-loop and a half-roll. Mystery Mine also features an Immelmann maneuver. Named for German World War I pilot Max Immelmann, the maneuver begins much like the first half of a traditional vertical loop. As the coaster car approaches the loop's apex, it is inverted and travels back in the direction in which the car first entered the loop. Rather than completing the loop, the coaster car rolls on its axis, becoming right-side-up while simultaneously turning away from the loop. The coaster car exits the Immelmann maneuver almost in the same direction in which it initially approached the loop.

I think that the person making the press release was just confused. It makes it sound like it has three inversions: the immelmann (which is already taken into consideration with the rollover), the rollover (With the term "double inversion" which apparently includes the heartline roll), and the heartline roll.

On RCDB, the element listed is the same rollover element found on the SLC models. That is definitely not right. RCDB either needs an alternate definition for the rollover inversion, or they should just call it a dive loop or twist and dive, since these were the terms already used for this element.

All of this may still be completely incorrect, since Dolly stated that her ride would have a few "surprises." Though I seriously doubt that an immelmann and heartline roll are hidden in that building. We would have seen them at the beginning of the construction. One of the "surprise" elements is most likely the reverse banked turn that comes after the brake run.

Everyones getting confused over...well...every thing about this ride, especially about the inversions but on Mystery Mines website it says it has two inversions, a heart line roll then dive loop (I think) so there.

On the animated pictures ive seen on this ride, it shows some of the windows glowing green, this would be a cool effect at night.

I think its safe to say it is only 2 inversions. They break down the double inversions into 2 seperate inversions hence the first being the heartline roll and the second being the roll over.

Jarvis "now if I can only figure out the layout" Morant.

I bet the other inversion is located over in the helix area. I have a strange feeling that some really good pics will be coming out after this saturday.

But I did find some pretty good close ups Here

Dave your a hero! And here you have it...the "immelman" turn!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah the ride isnt that "huge" but w/ the single cars it wont look it!

Jarvis "awaiting more pictures" Morant!

Ask and you shall receive... unfortunately this will be my last look at Mystery Mine until it opens again in the spring since it closes for the season this Saturday. I can definately say that it is looking better and better every time I visit. I can't wait to ride it once it opens. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a fun and safe New Years!

Enjoy the pics! On a little side note: If you can get to ride Thunderhead at Christmas after dark . . . DO IT! This ride is insane in the pitch dark. The turns and cut backs are so much fun when you have no idea when they are coming!

mm16.JPG.612a60caf836cfa2e4085210057182cb.JPG

Good bye MM .... Until next Year!

mm15.JPG.9b99c3a20bd0b9a2808883646971af14.JPG

Another shot that gives you an idea of the scale of the Mine

mm14.JPG.858917ed0c4bdc8f1890cfcbaa369352.JPG

Here's a bonus Christmas Thunderhead shot. The lift had lights and the ride in the dark is awesome!

mm13.JPG.42f6d2a821bfe1743e1960c56d00e9f9.JPG

MM from the Timber Canyon midway

mm12.JPG.bcf87524cc102cbdac299277c4835964.JPG

MM from Lumber Jack Lifts que

mm11.JPG.d8710b30217e6dac250375709b5412d2.JPG

This is for all the "track" pictures lovers

mm9.JPG.52ef14d560cf911593918556de50f17d.JPG

Different shot of the stairs (I wonder if this is the que or exit)

mm8-2.JPG.7e68b8c792608cc92fbe0225b92ddf1b.JPG

I love the themeing on this ride (more workers working hard to get it ready for April)

mm7.JPG.00a877caea6710ca22acba44c4c881a2.JPG

More MM

mm5.JPG.08c2108ddbb948a7b4a18519a4b2ae47.JPG

Stairway to ..... (Heaven or Hell; you decide)

mm6-2.JPG.89e56b1c1e449368e1619bfbd7d9341b.JPG

Yep, it looks like potentially some themeing for the tressel section (keeping my fingers crossed)

mm4.JPG.ddbe073774f78b8028f2597451c91a8d.JPG

More MM (I think I see something off in the distance...)

mm3.JPG.7b441f46f10753110e3d939c13a1f017.JPG

MM and TT (I really like this picture)

mm2.JPG.1cb489aeda54a2abe3574bec83562cdb.JPG

Overview of Mystery Mine...you can see how tall it really is compared to the LumberJack Lifts

mm1.JPG.24e4605e76afe13e7b364efb294f57a4.JPG

The Mine stands waiting...it's unbelievable to see them working even on a Saturday

I'm going this weekend, how busy was it while you were there?

, , or ?

It was absolutely PACKED. I think that it was busiest of ANYTIME I have ever been there. I think that it was because it was the weekend before Christmas and it was about 60 degrees during the day. Have fun and I would love to know if anymore work on the smaller structures of the building have been completed - or even better: some trains being tested on the track!

I'm going this weekend, how busy was it while you were there?

, , or ?

It was absolutely PACKED. I think that it was busiest of ANYTIME I have ever been there. I think that it was because it was the weekend before Christmas and it was about 60 degrees during the day. Have fun and I would love to know if anymore work on the smaller structures of the building have been completed - or even better: some trains being tested on the track!

It's my first time going there, so I'm not sure if I'm interested in doing a full blown construction update. The person I'm going with MIGHT be able to get us behind the scenes access, so that'd be a no-brainer, but otherwise, probbaly not.

I hope it isn't that crowded!