TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Jarmor, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they think having this type of system will help with the crowds for next year. Speaking of the Mystery Mine, I noticed they added a new animated opening sequence to the site today. I think the boots even highlight when they appear on screen and you roll over them with the cursor. Check it out http://www.mysterymine.com.

I would agree with this post. I think it would be in response towards next years anticipated crowds with the new ride in 07. Some emails I have received recommend that BGE should incorporate a similar system as well. Food for thought.

Yeah I generally dont think that Dollywood needs it BUT there was that time when for a few days after Tennessee Tornado opened there were two hour waits!!!

Were there ever really long waits when thunderhead first opened? I went months after and I saw the shortest lines ever then.

Maybe Mystery Mine will have really long lines and this thing will come in handy!

Wow. I'm shocked at the overwhelming support for this here. I personally believe that virtual queues are the worst thing to happen to the amusement park industry since lawyers. And I find it depressing to think that Dolly is going to jump on this particular shell game's bandwagon.

And make no mistake: it is a shell game. No amount of electronic gizmos or paper tickets is going to increase a ride's capacity one iota. It's just going to create winners and losers. And if you want to be a winner, you'll probably have to pay for it. (I wonder if people would be as excited by the news that a park was going to eliminate annual passes and increase their entrance fees in order to keep the lines down?)

Other issues: more walking, more waiting in line (you heard me right), forced planning of your day, arriving late in the day to find that the system has now put you behind the 8-ball, the increased difficulty of properly judging wait times, and increased guest complaints.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I seem to be in the minority. But I do have fairly extensive "hands on" experience with multiple types of virtual queue systems, and so far they've all been pretty worthless.

The general public seems to like them, though. Then again, the general public thinks that the best ride at Magic Mountain is Viper. So there you go.

If it's true that DW is going to keep adding major attractions for the next 5 years, the lo-q would come in handy during this phase. mind as well set it up soon. Mystery Mine is going to attract more of us Northerers down there next year, I'm sure I'm not alone in that department.

Echoing bgwfreak's comments, I was told elsewhere that this system will only be used for shows. The park had an online survey a few months back related to this.

Like said, Dollywood doesn't really have the need for virtual queuing with rides.

b grateful if you guys near dollywood can keep me informed on progress of installation and opinions on it etc . I own stock in the company who make LOQ system - a small UK company who I think have a massive future. The company is only worth 3-4 million dollars at present but if they can get more six flags sites and dollywood / other parks it could be worth many many multiples of it.

shaprio raved about it at his last six flags conference call

I am betting that is not the tallest drop on the ride. I am betting the tallest one is inside the building...

Also, don't expect to see a full POV of this ride posted before itopens. There are some secrets that the park wants to keep that way until the ride opens.

Chris

The car takes the 97 degree drop really fast in that animation! It will probably have brakes before the drop to slow it down a lot more than that. The drop looks incredibly small, too.

I don't think that one pictured was the 95 degree drop. Yes, tis true, MM (Mystery Mine) only makes a 95 degree drop, not the usual 97 degree drop.

Looks like they added the hairpin vertical turn like there mouse coasters. Very good Idea.

This coaster just keeps getting better and better.

Maybe this is an obvious point, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

I find it really interesting that they have the test seat on site already. Normally, one would expect it to arrive with--or even after--the cars, which normally don't show up much before testing is ready to start. Yet they're only in the very early construction phase of the project, and here's the test seat!

My theory is that they intend to put it out (sometime soon) as an additional "advertisement" for the ride.

• 2 weeks later...