TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Surely I'll get lol'd at but: How has Lightning Rod been running this year? How is the park like in early Sept? 

Thinking of going for a long weekend and to avoid PTO Labor day weekend seemed a natural fit. But always dodgy going to parks on holidays, so curious if anyone has experience with then? If I don't this then in general how are crowds in Sept? 

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

How is the park like in early Sept? 

The Saturday before was pretty busy in 2019.
https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/?day=2019-08-31

But Friday wasn't bad.
https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/?day=2019-08-30

No data for Sunday or Monday. Maybe they were closed?

2020 looked busy Sat, Sun and Mon.
https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/?day=2020-09-05
Friday wasn't too bad though.

Of course this year is anyone's guess. With inflation, travel is curtailed, but recent drops in gas price may increase that. Or Prices could shoot up again and the park be nearly dead.

Oh LR. Had down time around noon Friday (maybe weather related), Then some short periods Sat and Sun. Also a longer period Sun evening (likely weather).
https://www.dollywoodwaittimes.com/ride.php?ride=Lightning+Rod&day=2022-07-29

2 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Ah thanks all, I forgot about that site. I'll do some digging, but I really want to go, will most likely just go for it and pray as that seems all we really can do XD

You can buy fast passes for one of the days. (I assume multiple days planned). Would help getting in many rides, particularly LR.

But crowds can are difficult to predict. 

23 minutes ago, tndank said:

Also, don't forget LR has a single riders line. 

Wasn't sure if JJ would be alone or with others. And that only helps with LR. If it's busy and you want to ride others then the pass could be handy.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 1:30 PM, TEDodd said:

Wasn't sure if JJ would be alone or with others. And that only helps with LR. If it's busy and you want to ride others then the pass could be handy.

Likely solo, unsure yet, but yes thank you! I got semi shafted by LR (Yeah shocker lol) last visit so I do hope to prioritize that. 

On 7/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, prozach626 said:

"Almost couldn't walk..." really?

I hope so, but she's incredibly cautious. 

Yes, I am totally serious. The entire ride was rough and I ride every time I'm at the park, as I go every week or two with my annual pass. I literally had to leave the park because I couldn't walk. I'm just glad it was the last ride of the day and not the first. The ride has been rough in the past, before the new I-box track sections, but I've never been in pain from the ride like I was this time. Thunder Head was my first ride of the day (I always go to the left when I get inside the front gates) and it was super smooth. Not sure what the issue was with Lightning Rod that day.

• Haha 2

Dollywood has announced Big Bear Mountain, a new multi-launched family roller coaster opening in Wildwood Grove in 2023!

image.thumb.png.cc2f29141bee09c01815aa47fa3d27e4.png

https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/big-bear-mountain/?fbclid=IwAR3G-A7ieKX-XO0SBjUFTdgQeBWO1QlSUWBZp5wqXpRN1fzVfopZBoIVFYs

Dollywood’s largest ever park expansion, Wildwood Grove, is getting even bigger! Debuting in the spring of 2023, Big Bear Mountain will be the longest coaster at Dollywood, taking guests of all ages on an unforgettable family-friendly expedition in search of the Big Bear. Circling Wildwood Grove for nearly two minutes on 3,990 ft. of track, this gigantic coaster is a first of its kind at Dollywood with onboard audio, including music and announcements from Ned Oakley himself.

It’s almost time to venture into the Smokies for an unforgettable adventure aboard Dollywood's largest attraction. Ned Oakley, Wildwood Grove’s resident wilderness explorer, knows a thing or two about this hidden land and is setting up the Adventure Outpost Base Camp, located just a stone’s throw away from the Grove’s Hidden Hollow. Here, you'll join Ned in his specially-outfitted, four-wheel drive SUVs for the ride of your life in search of the Grove’s most storied and elusive inhabitant, Big Bear.

• Longest coaster at Dollywood at 3,990 ft
  • Ride Duration of 99-104 seconds
  • 20 passengers per train
  • Maximum speed of 48 MPH
  • 66 feet at highest track elevation
  • Minimum height requirement of 39 in

image.thumb.png.1960732f5f2d8948c29af207b9a0c82b.png

• Like 4

Looks pretty unique, and I'm sure Dollywood will go all out with the theme.  I didn't see who the manufacturer was however.  Based on the artwork, it looks like it could be either Vekoma or Intamin.  Maybe I overlooked it since I'm just an insane crackhead.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BitterOldHag said:

Looks pretty unique, and I'm sure Dollywood will go all out with the theme.  I didn't see who the manufacturer was however.  Based on the artwork, it looks like it could be either Vekoma or Intamin.  Maybe I overlooked it since I'm just an insane crackhead.

Since Vekoma shipped a 15500kg ride to them in March I suspect it's Vekoma.

• Like 1

"Hey, people really like Firechaser Express but it has low capacity. Let's build another one but budget cut the theming."

I mean, it's fine. It seems redundant and it's in an open field but it adds capacity and has an ultra-low height requirement so that's never a bad thing.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

"Hey, people really like Firechaser Express but it has low capacity. Let's build another one but budget cut the theming."

I mean, it's fine. It seems redundant and it's in an open field but it adds capacity and has an ultra-low height requirement so that's never a bad thing.

Hey now, that rock formation looks nice!

Right!  I was like Big Bear Mountain?!?! It's in an open field hugging the perimeter of the current attractions.  I am glad it was corrected from being the single largest investment to being the largest attraction (that meanders on).  And that track is so different it's hard to say who is the manufacture.

THE big(gest) bear mountain. . .

spacer.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BitterOldHag said:

I didn't see who the manufacturer was however.  Based on the artwork, it looks like it could be either Vekoma or Intamin.  

The new post on FB says

Join Ned Oakley in Spring 2023 on our largest family adventure yet: Big Bear Mountain.

This multi-launch Vekoma coaster contains 3,990 ft. of track, expanding Wildwood Grove with a six-acre ride.

Prepare for things to get BIG by watching our exclusive first look at ride animation.

13 minutes ago, jarmor said:

Right!  I was like Big Bear Mountain?!?! It's in an open field hugging the perimeter of the current attractions.  I am glad it was corrected from being the single largest investment to being the largest attraction (that meanders on).  And that track is so different it's hard to say who is the manufacture.

Yeah, I just really don't like the direction that the park has been going in aesthetically lately. They've cut down tons of trees, they removed the cave thing for a giant path with nothing on it, they never replaced the exposed and ugly Mystery Mine supports and then left the unused track just sitting there, Wildwood Grove is ugly, etc.

I'm trying not to judge this thing from a rendering but I feel like this is kind-of more of the same. The ride itself seems fine, I just wish it wasn't a bright orange unthemed coaster sitting in an empty field. I don't expect Disney quality here, just Dollywood-10-years-ago quality.

• Like 2