TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

12 hours ago, Jason Maier said:

Has Lightning Rod been more reliable this year in terms of uptime?

edit: I've been to busy with work to really pay attention here if anyone has said anything.

Now that you have time you could scroll back through the past few pages.  Eeesh.

Summary:  It's up and down, as always.

I am excited for a new family coaster at Dollywood.  Any guesses on height restrictions?  They tend to be on the lower end of other parks, so maybe 44"?  That would be nice.  I like the Bear theme and fits nicely into that area.  I know many on here complain about that new area, but honestly someone with kids ranging from 4 to 11 that area has added a lot to our experience.  I just wish that the coaster had higher capacity, so I am hoping the new coaster can run 2 to 3 trains.  Because the new one only running one train causes way too long of lines.  Having a higher capacity lower height near it would really help reduce lines.

My family is target demo for Dollywood and their new expansions have hit the mark for us.  If they can keep this coaster at or below 44" I think it would be amazing.  That would give 3 family and 1 kiddie coaster. 

Amid all the calls everywhere for "family coasters", I'm always left wondering what that "demographic" is that they're really targeting... I only ask because my 8 year old has been riding the biggest coasters he can get on for years now, rode a 300 foot coaster at 7, and a 400+ foot drop tower that many adults are too terrified to ride at 7. So "family coasters" are fine and all, but it seems their target demo is either a fairly small group of kids and their parents, or my youngsters have just been rarities among kids, in that they wanted the "adult" thrills at a young age!

• Like 1

I came here to post about the new ride teaser. They have hung those signs all over the park, after I saw about 10 my wife said we should call the number.

Mentions an expedition starting next spring in wild wood Grove. Definitely a teaser of things to come next year!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DILinator said:

Amid all the calls everywhere for "family coasters", I'm always left wondering what that "demographic" is that they're really targeting... I only ask because my 8 year old has been riding the biggest coasters he can get on for years now, rode a 300 foot coaster at 7, and a 400+ foot drop tower that many adults are too terrified to ride at 7. So "family coasters" are fine and all, but it seems their target demo is either a fairly small group of kids and their parents, or my youngsters have just been rarities among kids, in that they wanted the "adult" thrills at a young age!

That's a good question and I guess only Dollywood knows the answer, but I know the past couple times I was at DW Firechaser had the longest line in the park and Wildwood Grove was practically dead so something similar located in that section would seemingly be a good fit.

Also my kids are the same way now, 6 and 9 yo and they're both tall enough for everything and have been on a lot of bigger coasters, but they still enjoy other stuff too. On our last trip to BGT we all rode Iron Gwazi together a couple of times, and they loved it, but they still preferred Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse as their favorites in the park despite IG clearly being the better coaster. I mean even me personally, if I go to a park like Cedar Point yeah my priorities are Maverick and SV, but I still want to ride Iron Dragon and Gemini and Blue Streak. I guess my point is that I don't see the issue with another "family" coaster at what is really a family destination resort type park, as long as it's good. 

7 hours ago, Hilltopper39 said:

On our last trip to BGT we all rode Iron Gwazi together a couple of times, and they loved it, but they still preferred Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse as their favorites in the park despite IG clearly being the better coaster.

"Better" for who? Subjectivity. It's a thing.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, DILinator said:

I will say most kids that age won't do huge coasters.  Some are not tall enough and others more scared.  My daughter does Sea World camps and her friend was saying that the prior year when it was 4th and 5th graders that only 4 would do all the coasters.  So her group of 4 went on their own with a camp councilor.  They specifically signed up for the Thrill camp this year so that they would be with like minded kids.  Many of their sessions have an A and a B but Thrill does not.

My oldest is a roller coaster junky and always has been.  At age 2 she wanted to go on Hulk and never let off the gas.  My middle child loves coasters, but hates big drops.  So she will do Tennessee tornado, but not eagle.  She is also going thru a "scared" phase where stuff she would ride now she won't.  She is 8.  My 4 year old loves coasters, but isn't tall enough for the big coasters, so who knows what he will do then.  But he does like Scorpion at Busch that goes upside down. 

When I am at Dollywood I wait the longest for Dragonflier and Firechaser because the most people can ride them.  So they are trying to appeal to the widest audience with family coasters.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, IzzyB said:

I am excited for a new family coaster at Dollywood.  Any guesses on height restrictions?  They tend to be on the lower end of other parks, so maybe 44"?  That would be nice.  I like the Bear theme and fits nicely into that area.  I know many on here complain about that new area, but honestly someone with kids ranging from 4 to 11 that area has added a lot to our experience.  I just wish that the coaster had higher capacity, so I am hoping the new coaster can run 2 to 3 trains.  Because the new one only running one train causes way too long of lines.  Having a higher capacity lower height near it would really help reduce lines.

My family is target demo for Dollywood and their new expansions have hit the mark for us.  If they can keep this coaster at or below 44" I think it would be amazing.  That would give 3 family and 1 kiddie coaster. 

I think it is impossible to guess what a ride's height restriction will be when it hasn't even been built yet. Since it will be a family coaster, I'd expect it to be in the lower ranges.

• Like 2

It's not impossible. Most similar rides have similar height restrictions.  Most B&M speed coasters have the same height restriction across the board, most intamin family coasters have the same height restrictions across the board. . . and so on and so on.  This isn't a new wheel, just a new coster, more of the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jarmor said:

It's not impossible. Most similar rides have similar height restrictions.  Most B&M speed coasters have the same height restriction across the board, most intamin family coasters have the same height restrictions across the board. . . and so on and so on.  This isn't a new wheel, just a new coster, more of the same.

Funny enough Hershey has the exact kid coaster as Dollywood, but their ride alone height was way higher than Dollywood which meant I had to ride with my son (I was not amused).  Also Eagle height at 50" is less than most big steel coasters at other parks.  Heck Sea World can't build a proper coaster with a restriction below 54" which is very annoying. 

I agree they typically have the same, but there is some exceptions that always make me wonder why.  But Dollywood height restrictions run lower than most parks,  I don't know any other park with 39" coasters.  They are 38" or 40"

Thanks for the good discussion on the "family rollercoaster" topic! I just always find it a fascinating conversation, and certainly, given the diversity in children and their responses to coasters and thrills, there will always be a place for rides of different intensity.

On 7/25/2022 at 4:42 PM, DILinator said:

Amid all the calls everywhere for "family coasters", I'm always left wondering what that "demographic" is that they're really targeting...

That's an easy one, bro. A family coaster is for kids who aren't up to the task of riding the bigger rides, but they're still exciting enough for adults to enjoy. "A ride the whole family can enjoy."

Height isn't always a factor. Just about any mine train is a prime example. It's the happy medium between a Hyper and a Roller Skater.

• Like 2

My commentary was a bit broader than that obvious answer, as some also commented on, but yes, obviously as its most basic interpretation, that's the general idea behind a "family coaster." I just find in interesting how many enthusiasts typically commenting on the need for parks to have more "family coasters", and acting like they know what the park is doing when they're targeting that demographic, are not at all IN that demographic, as opposed to somebody like myself, who has lived it for almost two decades now. I know you're coming into that demo now yourself, Prozach, so that's very exciting for you! It'll be interesting to see how quickly your child outgrows the "family coaster" thrills, and is ready for the "normal coaster" thrills. My youngest was ready really young, as I mentioned before, but my oldest took a while, but is now super obsessed. Whatever way it goes, there's no greater joy in my life than spending time at an amusement park with my kids, so I'm sure you have many blessed trips to the parks ahead of you, I can assure you! 😀

Lightning Rod is a mess. I was at Dollywood this week and Lightning Rod had two rows of seats near the back of both trains roped off and closed. Of course, this made the wait times horrendous for people in the regular queue. I went into the single rider line and got on in less than 5 minutes, which was good. I've ridden Lightning Rod around 100 times since it opened and I live close by and my one ride on it this week was horrifying painful. This was the roughest ride I've ever had on Lightning Rod, even when the old Topper Track was damaged and rough. As the train pulled into the station, I could hear others in front and back of me complaining about how rough the ride was. I typically ride it a few times every time I go to the park, but once was enough this week. I could barely walk when I got off the ride and my back hurt for two full days. I'm not sure I want to ride Lightning Rod ever again. I'd also like an explanation from Dollywood as to why it was so rough.

"Almost couldn't walk..." really?

6 hours ago, DILinator said:

It'll be interesting to see how quickly your child outgrows the "family coaster" thrills

I hope so, but she's incredibly cautious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Lightning Rod is a mess. I was at Dollywood this week and Lightning Rod had two rows of seats near the back of both trains roped off and closed. Of course, this made the wait times horrendous for people in the regular queue. I went into the single rider line and got on in less than 5 minutes, which was good. I've ridden Lightning Rod around 100 times since it opened and I live close by and my one ride on it this week was horrifying painful. This was the roughest ride I've ever had on Lightning Rod, even when the old Topper Track was damaged and rough. As the train pulled into the station, I could hear others in front and back of me complaining about how rough the ride was. I typically ride it a few times every time I go to the park, but once was enough this week. I could barely walk when I got off the ride and my back hurt for two full days. I'm not sure I want to ride Lightning Rod ever again. I'd also like an explanation from Dollywood as to why it was so rough.

Sad to hear. 

I rode it back in 2019 and it was rough but not unbearable. 

What parts where rough? The steel track or the topper track sections? 

Maybe just bad wheels? 

5 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

this week was horrifying painful. This was the roughest ride I've ever had on Lightning Rod, … I could barely walk when I got off the ride and my back hurt for two full days. I'm not sure I want to ride Lightning Rod ever again. I'd also like an explanation from Dollywood as to why it was so rough.

Not at all the experience back around the 4th.

No rows were out of service and it rode as smooth as it did the first day it was open the public (I just happened to be I the park that day)

Have to think it was a bad part (wheel?) to be that different in just a few weeks.

Hmmm. Are we sure it's a coaster? I remember a few years ago there was a survey they sent out with different theme ideas for an interactive ride and one of them had to do with bears. I have at least one pic saved from when that came around:

f214705c-8f0c-4ce0-ad3c-09a070453b9e.jpg.6e6836b81227194397540a9724651d63.jpg

Here's the other image I remember seeing: https://www.screamscape.com/html/dolly2020_4.htm

• Like 1