TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

12 hours ago, megan said:

This looks… ummm wow. Like momma always said if you can’t something nice… the tunnel maybe needed work, but all that’s missing from this picture is the Walmart the sidewalk is in front of   (Sorta momma,I failed) 

6821EADE-C548-4AD0-8759-679FF3ECBBD8.jpeg

Where in the park is this?

When I worked there last year, I heard plenty of rumblings and rumors about what the plan is for this portion of the park... Be patient with it, this is gonna be part of a multi year project, but I know I'm immensely excited to see what's coming here.

I feel like the park gets slightly uglier every year and all you ever here is "But wait until it's done!". Between cutting down tons and tons of trees and not even always clearing them, Wildwood Grove (just... all of it), removing the theming elements and leaving an abandoned track piece on Mystery Mine and this it seems like they're much less focused on aesthetics and small details lately. I love the park, but it does seem like it's taken a few steps backward recently in that area.

• Like 7

I doubt they will do anything there as it is too steep to access, surrounded by either railroad tracks or buildings and the eagle sanctuary is right there.  I am not exactly sure what dollywood is doing but the more we "wait" the worst it gets.

4 minutes ago, jarmor said:

I doubt they will do anything there as it is too steep to access, surrounded by either railroad tracks or buildings and the eagle sanctuary is right there.  I am not exactly sure what dollywood is doing but the more we "wait" the worst it gets.

They've moved mountains before (Wildwood Grove).  I hope they don't level the mountain here though personally. There's a lot of space there without going towards the eagles.

10 hours ago, jarmor said:

I agree. I’m not impressed with the direction the park has been heading past few years. The recent remodels (grannies, front porch, emporium) into generic “country modern” are totally off theme. That’s fine for the hotel that is not a themed environment, but in the park? I think the Emporium looks like a generic mall store now. Yes, it needed flow work, but the easiest solution would be NOT routing all exit traffic through it. It looks soulless now, and that has nothing to do with light inventory due to supply issues. Removing the tunnel and Christmas shop to “open things up” might be necessary from an operation standpoint, but then you don’t support the increased traffic flow with sufficient staffing to decrease waits for food. If they want to compete with Disney, they certainly are playing at their game, but not in a good way. 

11 hours ago, dstephe9 said:

They've moved mountains before (Wildwood Grove).  I hope they don't level the mountain here though personally.

I still love that they clear-cut a forest to make an area themed to trees with no trees in it. It's like the new Lorax movie but real, also that movie sucks and so does Wildwood Grove.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

I still love that they clear-cut a forest to make an area themed to trees with no trees in it. It's like the new Lorax movie but real, also that movie sucks and so does Wildwood Grove.

But it has that ride where you sit on a bear, so I think it was worth it.

This is a weird take, but I actually feel like if this park just went back to exactly the way that it was in 2015 it would be a better park. Much prettier, better food, better Mystery Mine, Slidewinder and no coaster that never works making you feel like you're missing out when you show up and it's closed 50% of the time. The only thing that I'd miss is Drop Line and a few infrastructure upgrades.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, SSL said:

When I worked there last year, I heard plenty of rumblings and rumors about what the plan is for this portion of the park... Be patient with it, this is gonna be part of a multi year project, but I know I'm immensely excited to see what's coming here.

Dude can you get me a discount on them Dippin' Dots?

bokeem woodbine GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

Except for one poorly executed fake tree that looks like steel pipe cleaners stuck together. Imagine THIS, but with musical instruments sculpted into it instead of sports references. And how cool would it be if you could go it it like this? 

A41E30DC-ED2A-4116-9AF8-D92F7827ADD9.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, megan said:

Except for one poorly executed fake tree that looks like steel pipe cleaners stuck together.

It's not Disney's Tree of Life (the inspiration I'm sure), but it's not _that_ bad.

The young kids don't care, and even my teenager thinks it's cool (and she has seen Disney's).

It's honestly better than I expected when it was announced.

2 hours ago, TEDodd said:

It's not Disney's Tree of Life (the inspiration I'm sure), but it's not _that_ bad.

The young kids don't care, and even my teenager thinks it's cool (and she has seen Disney's).

It's honestly better than I expected when it was announced.

Young kids are not evaluating your product or paying for it. “Good enough for young kids” is a really odd standard since the pictures of the amazingly well done tree is from the Indianapolis KIDS Museum. 

Hey everyone.    We will be visiting the Pigeon Forge area for 4 days the first week of April.  We've never been to Dollywood and are planning to visit.  Should we consider 1 or 2 days at the park?    Any other suggestions or advice for our visit?   Or any other interesting things to do in the area?  

9 hours ago, megan said:

Young kids are not evaluating your product or paying for it.

They are the reason it's there. Most of the grove is oriented to younger kids.

As long as the kids are impressed the parents will take them.

As I said my teenager (soon to be 18) likes it as well.

I'm not impressed but better that I expected. Sure could have been better, but I expected a lot worse.

Like art and music, it can be good while not being exceptional.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEDodd said:

They are the reason it's there. Most of the grove is oriented to younger kids.

As long as the kids are impressed the parents will take them.

As I said my teenager (soon to be 18) likes it as well.

I'm not impressed but better that I expected. Sure could have been better, but I expected a lot worse.

Like art and music, it can be good while not being exceptional.

Wow. High bar you have there! “I expected a lot worse”  and “I’m not impressed but better than I expected” are NOT glowing reviews of a project’s success. That sounds like parents who want an award for their kids because “at least they showed up and played 4 out of the 10 scheduled games and only fell down on the soccer field a little bit”. My point is sure it can be “ok” but there are examples of exceptional, so why not expect it?

10 hours ago, racingmoose said:

Hey everyone.    We will be visiting the Pigeon Forge area for 4 days the first week of April.  We've never been to Dollywood and are planning to visit.  Should we consider 1 or 2 days at the park?    Any other suggestions or advice for our visit?   Or any other interesting things to do in the area?  

This time of year crowds can be hit or miss.  It's basically based on weather, a beautiful Spring afternoon will be packed on the weekend.. If it's packed, you might need a day and a half. If not, one day is plenty. My suggestion is one day with timesaver (if busy) or 2 or 3 day pass and spread out the visit.  Especially this time of year when the mornings can be cold, I'd visit afternoons. Personally, if I wasn't local I would do the three day pass, only $10 more than the two

I'd also suggest a weekday visit, if it's warm and pretty, locals flood on weekends making it extra packed

A few years ago I would have told you to come in after 3:00 so the next day is free but they ended that and I don't imagine it will ever come back. It was a nice perk for folks in your situation

For other activities

1.) Hit the mountains! Do a short hike or nature trail

2.) I love the aquarium, yes it's a corporate Ripley's but still a great aquarium

3.) Walk around the island

4.) Visit my wife who manages one of the outlets in Tanger! Who doesn't love outlet shopping (yes I know, most isn't the same quality as the "real" stores).

I spend money and shop when on vacation, some like this some don't

5.) Pick a mountain coaster or two

Dollywood Tips

1.) Water is free, just ask. Don't waste money on bottle water unless you are the type who won't drink the water from a soda machine

2.) If you have ever been to Disney, Universal, or six flags and have a Fuelrod swappable battery bring it! Dollywood has the swap machines. The one in the emporium is down right now but the other three work.  I know these things can be expensive BUT they have saved me thousands of times at Disney, and much easier than carrying a power bank (hint you can buy them on Amazon and trade at Dollywood or Disney.  Just search fuelrod. On Amazon two are the price of one at Disney or Dollywood) (Setup the app so you have free swap credits! Dollywood has a small swap fee if you need a fresh one. Under $3)

3.) Sunscreen! Bring it! 

4.) It can be a hike back out to your car so bring a backpack for important stuff if needed BUT they don't allow food or drink in the park. You can probably get by with a pack of crackers or energy bar, I have. Personally I hate backpacks in parks but that's just me

4.) Hit LR first, it was down the one visit I have been this year. Not sure if it has been up at all to be honest.

4 hours ago, megan said:

My point is sure it can be “ok” but there are examples of exceptional, so why not expect it?

Because nothing they've done in the last 6 years was exceptional. Wild Eagle is the last thing where the theming impressed me. Fun rides yes, but not that level of theming. Even Dreammore was a let down. So I don't expect a lot from them now.