TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

On 3/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, TEDodd said:

While looking at the Timesaver info I noticed this on the LR page
https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/LightningRod

Did they relocate the fireworks? Not sure why LR would close as I don't see that on any other ride.

The fireworks are behind Wildwood Grove and can best be views from inside Wildwood Grove, as is the drone show. Last season, most of the rides had that sign on them about closing at 9 pm for the fireworks show.

Park Reservation System

Book Your Next Visit

Great news, Passholders! Reservations are no longer required for your visit to Dollywood Parks and Resorts. Any existing reservations will be honored. Be advised, based on demand, park entry could be delayed due to available park capacity.

34 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

The fireworks are behind Wildwood Grove and can best be views from inside Wildwood Grove, as is the drone show. Last season, most of the rides had that sign on them about closing at 9 pm for the fireworks show.

That's where I thought they were too.

Just noticed that LR was the only one with the closing statement on the website suggesting a change.

Just odd for that info to only be on LR's page.

22 hours ago, TEDodd said:

That's where I thought they were too.

Just noticed that LR was the only one with the closing statement on the website suggesting a change.

Just odd for that info to only be on LR's page.

Right, especially since LR is at the opposite side of the park, nowhere near Wildwood Grove.

Saw on other sites, that Dolly was there, doing a mini-welcome wagon 'parade' for the opening season.

Man, I would love to meet her! She's so honest, and forthright with her convictions. And support. And her music!

Dollywood2022.png.8527a63f841f7b0c77c85ba22f7711ea.png

Photo from the web. Thank you to whoever put this together.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure most people book cabins in Pigeon Forge for the view of the Smokies.  I picked cabins with views of Dollywood's coasters.  I was able to get some unique shots of Lightning Rod and Wild Eagle the past few days.

1079241635_LightningRod(Aerial).thumb.jpg.ec28638a2c92b2d69d5b9e3af3eac200.jpg

897542531_LightningRodDrop(Far).thumb.JPG.acb800a549e553110e68118389513249.JPG

1185158336_LightningRodDrop(Side).thumb.JPG.9d8d00b192476b09962d626f30ea0cfa.JPG

660217912_LightningRodWaveTurn.thumb.JPG.0834ffec7143a113c3ee31e7824a936b.JPG

1925310896_LightningRodReverseWaveTurn(Far1).thumb.JPG.266b77534766631b43f29ff13b2c887d.JPG

675031164_LightningRodReverseWaveTurn(Close2).thumb.JPG.a6be25769008ab22c3b7325e5545012d.JPG

1966152065_LightningRodOff-AxisHill2.thumb.JPG.ffad1d885e7a8b62e9e57823fea85338.JPG

52033504_WildEagleLift(Far1).thumb.JPG.04cd075af76de3c4bb0036390742d33d.JPG

1369933335_WildEagleDrop.thumb.jpg.7f54d40131099d7a122035bdb7373030.jpg

1238211906_TennesseeTornadoPre-Drop.thumb.jpg.c9b5446acc6b6510bd0271de892d5812.jpg

Speaking of Lightning Rod, the coaster only opened for the final 8 minutes of the day on Sunday due to the prior day's snowstorm and then it ran like it's usual self on Monday with a delayed opening and multiple breakdowns.

• Like 6

Hi all - decades-long lurker, new member here.

I’m having my bachelor party in Pigeon Forge, and we want to spend a day in Dollywood. Hoping you well-versed folks might be able to help me make decisions that help us maximize the day! I’ve been once before, about five years ago. (Yes, normally my best man  would be doing the legwork here, but I’m the enthusiast and refuse to cede control for this portion of the trip!)

Our best option for visiting the park is Saturday, April 2. The Friday and Sunday are also possible, but would be less convenient. My main goals are rerides on Lightning Rod and Drop Line (as many as possible), and at least one ride on the other major coasters.

1. How finicky has LR been lately? Just need to know how much to temper my expectations.
2. How much longer do lines tend to be on Saturdays vs Fridays and Sundays?
3. How long are weekend waits (even if it’s a range) for LR and Drop Line if you do have Timesaver Unlimited? I read coasterbill’s recent post that Timesaver Unlimited is priced well. It is within our budget, so I plan to get it before we enter the park if it’s almost certainly going to be crowded. Just want to get a sense of how much we might be able to fit in the day, or even if we'd want another half-day.
4. Does the park app show wait times when you’re in the park? I have the app now, but it doesn’t give me current wait times sitting at home.
5. Is the Dollywood Photo Card defunct because of staffing or something? I can’t find anything current about it on the website…all the info I found seems a few years old.

Appreciate your thoughts on these questions, or anything else you think it’d be useful for me to know!

^My bf and I go every year, although we haven't yet gone this year. A few posts back, I think it was Canobie Coaster, said that LR had been finnicky when he went a week or two ago but it was also combined with some weather issues as well. LR will be LR. It's the best steel coaster I've ever been on, but yes it sees a good amount of downtime. If you're there an entire weekend I think you'll get to ride it. We've always had really good luck with it but there's always at least some time during our visit when it's down. Walk to the right when you walk in the past and ride it first, at least a few times. The TimeSaver pick-up area is on the way to it.

Weekends can be unpredictable for the park. Buy TimeSaver Unlimited at least 3-5 days in advance, they sell out fast. But the price is very reasonable and even if the park isn't that busy, you'll walk past a 15-20 minute LR line and ride it over and over again. If the park is slammed, you'll be glad you bought it, as I've been there on weekends when even Tennessee Tornado had 60+ minute waits.

Not too sure about the app or photos, as after one year of making the mistake of not getting TimeSaver and it being sold out, we never made that mistake again. With TimeSaver Unlimited, you won't wait at all for the attractions on it, so we don't even look at wait times.

• Thanks 1

https://queue-times.com/parks/55/queue_times

dollywoodwaittimes.com is easier to see historical data but it can sometimes be slow.

Single rider line on LR can save a ton of time many days.  Drop Line usually doesn't have a huge line especially late in the day.

Get there an hour before posted open time.  Firechaser is probably your longest line most of the time.  Might want to go back there first and get it, WE, and TT.  Blazing Fury as you make your way over to LR.

All of the major rides have TVs showing a the current wait times, and there's a few of them just scattered around the park. (They will also tell you if Lightning Rod is closed or not) The app will show wait times once you get to the park (It might also work in the parking lot, can't remember now).

I didn't get Timesaver when I went since I went in a weekday where it wasn't needed, but if your going on a weekend it seems like it would be a good idea to get it ahead of time. At the very least it will be great for Firechaser, Tennessee Tornado, Dragonflyer (if it's on there), and Mystery Mine as thoose had the worst lines when I was there.

I would say that even with Timesaver that if you have any inkling about LR being closed to make a left upon entering and beat it back to Firechaser/TT/Mystery Mine.

Other stuff:

-The train is ok. I don't think it's as good as some people say it is, but if you want to ride it line up early as it's super popular and they do count people so it doesn't overfill.

- Gotta get Cinnamon Bread from the Grist Mill. Period. No going around it. Also, be sure to say high to Earl the Turtle

- The right side of Wild Eagle (going left at the split in the queue) has better views of Wildwood Grove and Thunderhead, while the left side (going right in the queue) has better views of the Smokey Mountains.

Congratulations and have fun!!

We are planning a trip for the last week in march. My wife came across trip advisor reviews from opening weekend about parking and food being an absolute disaster. I am willing to give them opening week staffing issues a pass this. Wondering if anyone has heard of some of the opening day issues have been resolved. It would still be considered spring break when we go.

Parking is still not completely finished and seems to be a headache.  If you arrive early, probably nothing to worry about. 

Food has been a disaster over there for the last 2 years.  Fridays and Saturdays seem worse than others.  Saw reports from today with some short food lines.  If you can pack lunches in the car or snacks for the day, might save yourself some frustration.  Best of luck. Bring your patience. 

I was there today, no issues with parking. It actually makes a lot more sense now than in the past. I believe a lot is just confusion from old people who hate change. I hate to say it that way but if you read the signs, it's super simple.

Staffing also didn't seem to be an issue, food was great like always. I had aunt grannies today.  There were shops closed but not sure if that was staffing or not. I love the new security screening, very quick and efficient. The new emporium is designed almost exactly like new Disney shops at Disney World when it comes to checkouts.  Basically one large checkout area with 10 or so registers. All staffed which is actually better than 2 of 10 staffed at Disney which I aslo came back from two weeks ago. A lot of positive changes this year to help with capacity. 

One change folks, at least local, don't like about parking is that they now fill multiple lots at once and the road is now one way. This will help greatly with traffic when it's time to leave, but a lot of the locals don't seem to like that if you can't find a slot in "B" you now have to loop back to "D" and start over

Please remember, this last week was also local Spring Break. I hate how Dollywood opens during local Spring Break, they should open a week or two earlier to work out the kinks. Yes it was busy this week

On 3/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, megan said:

Feelings about the Emporium? I’m not loving it. Looks a bit barren. 

I think this is more supply chain issues. Have you been to Disney recently or seen pictures? They have parts of their stores "blocked off" with black sheets to make them look smaller with more product.

I actually loved the new design and layout of the emporium.  

Finally, some of the empty space in the middle I believe is by design to help with traffic flow. The new layout with less check out counters, and one large counter actually added space

This looks… ummm wow. Like momma always said if you can’t something nice… the tunnel maybe needed work, but all that’s missing from this picture is the Walmart the sidewalk is in front of   (Sorta momma,I failed) 

6821EADE-C548-4AD0-8759-679FF3ECBBD8.jpeg

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, tndank said:

Food has been a disaster over there for the last 2 years.  

I keep hearing that but the week of Thanksgiving on the days I was there didn't seem any worse that pre pandemic those days.

5 hours ago, megan said:

This looks… ummm wow. Like momma always said if you can’t something nice… the tunnel maybe needed work, but all that’s missing from this picture is the Walmart the sidewalk is in front of   (Sorta momma,I failed) 

6821EADE-C548-4AD0-8759-679FF3ECBBD8.jpeg

I'm sure they have a plan for this hillside, we just don't know what it is yet. Lots of rumors have circulated around it for years and they keep making progress on it.  The removal of the tunnel really opened the space up. The retaining wall is old, quick fix would be a painted mural or something. The mountainside is still cleared here, likely pointing to a development yet to be announced. This is also probably why they needed to open the space up.

It's not as bad in person and I am sure will be nice once the flowers grow in

Believe me, I'm usually very critical about Dollywood, and visit 50 - 100 times a year. So far this year, I have no complaints. Maybe it's because I'm visiting larger parks more and I see how much better Dollywood is, or learning to not be in a hurry at amusement parks because lines and crowds are to be expected, or maybe it's because they are making progress of becoming a much larger destination.

• Like 2

Why didn't they paint something on the wall or put up any type of theming/decoration? I think that is one of the things about modern HFEC that is a big departure from what we grew up with. In the old days everything guests saw had to be themed or dressed up. Mary Herschend would have thrown a fit over this. 

I assume it's a work in progress still, since it looks like the earth behind the wall is a bit precarious, but still, not quite their old standard even for something temporary. 

Sounds like some great improvements otherwise, and I'm glad their efforts to increase staffing are apparently paying off already. 

To be honest I could have a horrible day and as long as I get a couple rides in, maybe get my 7 year old brave enough to try a big coaster I will be over the moon.  It has been since January 2020, a baby, and a pandemic since the last time I have had a good coaster ride in.  Had 2 quick rides on the Zippin Pippin since it is local to me but MAN I got the itch. Gonna be good to get a proper trip in.

• Like 1