TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

14 hours ago, dabrian said:

Lightning Rod still down?

It was yesterday, but it is getting close to reopening... they were shooting for yesterday, but that didn't quite work out. They were testing it again though. Maybe today???

I'm visiting for the first time next week...really hoping the issues are resolved by then. I know for a fact I'm going to love the place regardless, but missing out on Lightning Rod could really put a damper on things.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know or know where to look up the temperature guidelines for the rides at Dollywood to operate during the colder weather like in November and December. Seems like I remember that being a discussion topic in the past but I scrolled back a few years in the thread and couldn't find anything. We're thinking about a trip around Christmas but wasn't sure if it was worth it with the weather that time of year being a little unpredictable. Has anyone been around Christmas to know what the crowds are like? 

Sometimes we have 60-70 degrees for Xmas, other years there a dusting of snow and it's freezing. Hard to tell. For the most part winters are mild here until January. Even then it's generally not bad. 

ACE event in Dec a couple years ago. Beginning of ERT they said, "Hurry because we have to shut down LR if it drops another degree." Luckily it stayed 36 and we got the whole hour of rides.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GCI Wooden said:

Here's Dollywood's site listing the temperature cutoffs: https://www.dollywood.com/themepark/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guideline

Thanks' I couldn't find that on the website but it's exactly what I was looking for. For some reason I was thinking the limits were closer to 40 or 45 degrees so taking a trip in late December felt kind of risky, but with temps that low it feels like a pretty safe bet that most things will be open during the day.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:03 AM, jedimaster1227 said:

Dollywood has announced that they are building on-site housing for employees that could support seasonal hosts throughout the year.

The only retirement community that puts Gam Gam to work. 

Maybe something has changed since I've been to dollywood, but I don't remember many of their employees being of the sort of age to live in a workers dorm. 

Man I miss dollywood :(

Interesting to see, that for one attraction only, Lumberjack Lifts for the kids, has a maximum heat allowance, heh.

I am wondering though, what happens to it, after 95' ? Causing it to be shut down, etc. ? Just curious of me.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the day at Dollywood yesterday and I have to say I've never seen it as dead as it was. There were no lines for any rides all day long. It was funny to look up at the monitors on each ride showing zero wait times for all the rides in the park. Except for Lightening Rod, which was, as usual, not running. The sign in front of the ride said temporarily closed, but I didn't see it open before I left which was a major disappointment.  I think at this time Dollywood either needs to sue RMC, completely rebuild the coaster or just tear it down and start from scratch. Dollywood has to be mad about the constant down time and it is a big black eye for RMC. Does Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point have the same issue with down time? Probably not with its standard lift. Other than that. all the other rides were running well, food lines were non-existent and the parking lot was only partially filled into the C area. It was very humid, but still a great day at the park. There were also a bunch of new employees that I haven't seen before, which is typical for fall when students go back to school.

• Like 2

When we finally got some rides on it in May of this year, it was my son's third attempt and my second. Keep in mind that is a one way 8 - 8 1/2 hour drive with not a real flight option to cut the time. First time we were on it as we were pulling out of the station he insisted he would not believe it was happening and/or celebrate in any way until we crested the lift hill, lol.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

Based on Dollywood Wait Times it looks like the last time it was open at all was Saturday.

The week of the 1st looks to be when it when down. I think on FB there was a post motioning parts.

But ran OK the last weekend of August up til Sep 2. About half the day on Sep 3th. And down until the 10th, running until 6:00 then down. Good start Sat, but down for an hour around 4:30, but then ran til park close. Didn't run Sun or the rest of the week.

Waiting on parts again? Only running on busy weekend days to prolong parts that need replaced for reliability (not safety)?

Waiting to see what happens this weekend to see if there's more of a pattern.