TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I really liked the Bluegrass covers played throughout Silver Dollar City.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:46 AM, u4icmusic said:

Herschend pushes for more and more profit over the guest experience.

Companies should never put profits first. Shame.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Compliments of Cedar Fair (specifically Kings Island and Kings Dominion)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/65REf5thv8onz5MKVEql4n?si=xoG1qBhJQgG-jvyEi6J4pg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

You're welcome!

Nope. Sorry I just can't. Bluegrass covers of classic rock is just so wrong. 

10 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Companies should never put profits first. Shame.

That's all companies should do. Their whole reason for existing is go make a profit.

But it's short sighted to to put profit today over bigger profit tomorrow.  Guest experience today is important for profits tomorrow. One sale today or multiple sales for years to come. 

No, it's not all they do, and that used to be better understood than it is now. HFE is an entertainment company. Their reason for existing is to entertain. They make a profit by entertaining so they can stay in the business of entertaining. Profit serves the mission of their business. It is not itself the mission of their business. Don't get that twisted.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

No, it's not all they do, and that used to be better understood than it is now. HFE is an entertainment company. Their reason for existing is to entertain. They make a profit by entertaining so they can stay in the business of entertaining. Profit serves the mission of their business. It is not itself the mission of their business. Don't get that twisted.

They are in the BUSINESS of entertainment. They still are a business with a P&L sheet and responsibly to investors. Their reason for existing is NOT to entertain, it is to run a successful and profitable entertainment business. 

• Like 2

This is a pointless argument, go back to complaining about Mystery Mine's new track or something.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

^It would appear that way.  Looking at a few operating days at random from the past couple weeks (I'm looking here), it has had the occasional brief period of downtime but nothing too substantial.  

Also, expect the next 2 or 3 comments here to be something along the lines of "well that means it'll probably spontaneously combust next week" 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

Also, expect the next 2 or 3 comments here to be something along the lines of "well that means it'll probably spontaneously combust next week" 

Don't give @coasterbill any ideas.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

^It would appear that way.  Looking at a few operating days at random from the past couple weeks (I'm looking here), it has had the occasional brief period of downtime but nothing too substantial.  

Yes, please don't temp fate or give anyone ideas. We will be there a week from tomorrow.

6 hours ago, A.J. said:

This is a pointless argument, go back to complaining about Mystery Mine's new track or something.

TBH, I wish they would take out the old track. It looks awkward just sitting there. 

Rumor has it that Dolly Parton will make an appearance at the park on Wednesday after her interview from the DreamMore Resort in the morning on GMA. Not sure what time her interview will air, but it is tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Rumor has it that Dolly Parton will make an appearance at the park on Wednesday after her interview from the DreamMore Resort in the morning on GMA. Not sure what time her interview will air, but it is tomorrow.

GMA is broadcasting live from Dollywood.  But GMA starts at 7am, runs 2 hours, and the park doesn't open until 10.
https://www.wkrn.com/news/good-morning-america-to-broadcast-live-from-dollywood-wednesday/

So Dolly is in town and on the property. She could make an appearance at any time.
Historically she makes appearances at the big indoor shows and the parades.

Maybe the Westward Road show at the Pines Theater? Or Harmonies of the Heart at Dreamsong? I think she has shown up at Hartsong in the past too.

I don't see anything in Celebrity and the Kingdom Heirs are off (Showstreet). 

Single rider line on LR up and running today. Use the Timesaver entrance. 

Ride ops seemed to be in good spirits this morning. They seemed happy to let folks know they didn't have to wear masks on rides anymore and were doing it often.

Crowd was picking up when I left around 11.  Beautiful 70s today.  Going to get busy, I bet.

• Like 2

Tomm I finally finally am getting to Dollywood! Pretty stoked, esp that it seems weather will be nice, low chance of rain but mostly cloudy, perfect. I can never tell what's memery or not....should I actually go to MM first solely to get it out of the way bc lines are so heinous then go to LR?

Edit: And I guess if there's any general tips, feel free. Places to eat etc

On 5/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, tndank said:

Single rider line on LR up and running today. Use the Timesaver entrance. 

Ride ops seemed to be in good spirits this morning. They seemed happy to let folks know they didn't have to wear masks on rides anymore and were doing it often.

Crowd was picking up when I left around 11.  Beautiful 70s today.  Going to get busy, I bet.

Oh that is great news. I'm not expecting bad crowds on a Weds but still that may be super helpful. 

I've shifted from going to the lowest capacity rides first to going to the rides that I really want to ride first in most cases, especially in this case. If Lightning Rod is open, ride it immediately before it's next routine catastrophic mechanical failure that leaves it closed for 3 months.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah thats my mentality, I mean even when its not LR I always want to get the biggest out of the way. Though that does add to it for sure lol Thankfully it seems like its generally been open most of the day every day for a while now (seriously thanks to whoever provided that wait time tracker) but yeah, esp if its a pretty quiet day (Im hoping) if I can get a lot done and gotta suffer a **** wait for MM whatever.  I see Time Saver is still available for tomm, so worst case I think I'll be able to get one day of if its bad? But reallllly planning not to. 

And yeah I always hear about the dope ass food, where to go yall?

Single rider line on LR at park open will get you plenty of rides.  Just go straight through the Timesaver line. 

I don't think you'll have too many problems getting as many rides as you want on anything. 

Can't help with food, I never eat there.

7 hours ago, tndank said:

Can't help with food, I never eat there.

image.png.9a0ba55b54982c88e420181b6b5672c1.png

9 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Just about every place is awesome. Aunt Granny's has everything you could ever want. Absolutely do not miss the cinnamon bread near Barnstormer. Their barbecue is fantastic too, I think it's over near Aunt Granny's. 

We were there for 3 days and the only place I wouldn't recommend is the 50s cafe near Lightning Rod. It wasn't bad, just not up to the standards of everywhere else. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JJLehto said:

My number one place to eat in the park is Granny Ogle's over in Craftsman's Valley. (Not to be confused with Aunt Granny's. Lots of Granny-themed restaurants in this park, apparently.) This is a smaller place where you are basically sitting out on an enclosed porch, and all the servers are... well... somewhat older ladies dressed up like stereotypical grandmothers. 

Their specialty is ham and beans; I always get the sampler which includes both the smoked ham and pot roast atop a bed of mashed potatoes & gravy, with some pinto beans and collard greens on the side. It's absolutely delicious. Oh, and you get free cornbread with every meal! Without a doubt, it's my favorite place to eat and relax after hours of rides. Honestly might be my favorite in-park restaurant anywhere and I don't say that lightly.

• Like 1

We went to Dollywood for the first since November 2019 Friday and Monday. Some thoughts!

On Friday, they were still requiring masks in lines and on rides and were actually doing a solid job of enforcing their own policies. We are fully vaxxxxed and felt comfortable at the park, overall. By Monday, the policy had been relaxed and masks were significantly less present. All Staff still wear.

Thunderhead is running really great. The last 1/4 of the ride is just amazingly smooth right now and the first bit as well. We really loved it.

Mystery Mine's new bit is fine. It's certainly smooth at the moment which is good.

Lightning Rod does feel *slightly* slower over the first hill and throughout the whole course. It is most noticeable on the first element after the big drop. Still hauls and is an awesome ride. Shut down on us Monday before we could get on it (our mistake for waiting till 6:30). Oddly enough, on Friday the line was at 100 minutes midday. We walked right on at park close twice.

Food and Flower Festival Thoughts:

$28 for 5 foods ($30 without season pass) is actually really solid. Food item prices ranged from $5 for fruity drinks to $11 for fish and chips, without the pass. We got a lanyard each day we were there to share and ate well for $14 each.

Some of the menu items (value is based on the lanyard not the actual sell price, which was often way too high).

Fish and Chips ($11): one decent sized piece of fish with some thin steak fries. Pretty solid (value decent)

Lobster Roll ($10): some pretty tasty, cool lobster salad in an untoasted split top roll with a whole bag of salt and vinegar chips. Tasty and refreshing, but small portion.

Beef Bulgogi Nachos ($11): Large portion, honestly awesome but needed to ask for extra of the two sauces.

Mountain Paella ($7): Meh portion, meh flavor, skippable.

They also had some tasty dessert items!

Overall, a solid visit and crowds were overall manageable if you avoid riding coasters between like 11:30 and 3:30 (we tend to do shows, eat, and ride train in this window).

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for you JJLehto.  Looks like something happened with LR end of the day Monday and it's still causing problems. I hope you get some rides on it today!

Beef Bulgogi Nachos are really good.  I have eaten that.  Sauces on it are great and the fried wontons are so good.

lol question about should I head to LR first was moot. It never opened XD ugh...the true Dollywood experience. Shame so far park is quiet I can beast this day. I really do not wanna have to come back a 2nd time so this POS better open up today and not for like...30 minutes. I knew it too, we were waiting before 10 and it wasn’t even testing, figured it would be “delayed opening” I have no idea if that’s legit or their way of saying it’s down for the day but they don’t wanna say it haha

We were at the park on Monday and ..................................................Mission Accomplished!!!!!!!!!! We made it on AND were able to get in the one alpine coaster in PF we had not done to make it 250 for the boy, the day after his 18th birthday no less.

Not trying to taunt anyone, JJLehto so sorry you didn't get on but hope you do on your second day! It took us 3 trips to get it.

-4982693822616137071.jpg

• Like 8