TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

2 hours ago, prospekt88 said:

^Lets be real...if you really wanna follow those guidelines you wouldn’t even be going to amusement parks. 

It's true. This is why I held off last year (and cost myself 9 parks, 5 new, idk how many new creds) it's really the only way to fully comply with the guidelines. We can wear masks, maintain distance in the park, from the person in front of us in line (we cant control the person behind us) wash etc but there's an inherent risk. We can minimize it and take it, or eliminate it and not go at all. 

This year, Im willing to take the risk while ofc minimizing it as much as I can, and I will self quarantine when I get back just for total safety. But yeah....if one goes to a park ya really cant talk bc you're taking (and to be frank adding to others) some risk, and I wish all complied, but we know that's not happening. Esp in areas like the South (lived in FL during the 1st waves, then lived inthe Northeast later, huge difference in how people cared/seriously they took it) and this year as the vaccine is rolling. Its not great to think about but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 12:50 PM, TrippinBillie said:

Do they plan to just leave the extra MM track as "broken theming" or are there plans to remove it and spruce up that a little?  Could use a little TLC with some flowers or make it not so rigid looking being next to a busy walkway.  Assuming they opened it to get butts in seats for the ride.  Didn't know if anyone knew more.

This actually reminds me of Buzzsaw Falls/Powder Keg at SDC. Most of the GP don't pay attention to know, but there's an old Buzzsaw Falls car wedged in the roof of the queue building and parts of the old track is reused for theming, most notably the "broken" rollback hill and the pieces of track littering the area around the launch. I can definitely see them following suit here since they are both Hershend parks and they like to theme their rides pretty well.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 8:09 PM, tndank said:

Looks like we hit a milestone today.  Lightning Rod 2.0 ran all day.  

For God's sake let's hope so. I think we are going to try a 3rd attempt to get on the damned thing in mid-May for my son's 18th birthday.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:40 AM, coasterbill said:

Yeah... people should do that. Even without a global pandemic I like my personal space but people love crowding people in line for reasons that I will never ever understand.

If everyone compacts, it gets people closer to the station, which can only mean getting on the ride quicker. Less distance = less wait. It's simple science.

Does Dollywood have an online store or anything? Somewhere I'd be able to get a ride souvenir?

I have this really great purse/bag with the Outlaw Run logo that I bought opening day back in 2013. I've been using it ever since. Well, it's nearing 8 years of heavy usage, and while it's still surprisingly in great shape, the zipper on it is starting to wear out on one end and I'm having difficulties moving the zipper along the teeth.

I was hoping to find a similar bag online on Amazon or elsewhere, but for some reason, it's very difficult to find a bag in the exact structure as mine is. The tag in mine doesn't really help; all it says is "Silver Dollar City; 100% Nylon; Made in China". No manufacturer info.

I was just wondering if similar bags are sold at Dollywood (or even SDC) and if so, how I'd be able to get one without having to actually go to the park (since SDC is 4 hours from me, and DW is 9.5hrs), 'cause I have no idea when I'm gonna have an opportunity to visit either park again.

20210402_183406.jpg

20210402_183605.jpg

20210402_183543.jpg

Oh, yikes. Didn't realize how big those photos are, sorry. New phone; still getting the hang of it.

EDIT: DANGIT. Sorry for the double post. I didn't realize I did that until I'd hit "save" and there's no way to delete this message it seems.

Esp in areas like the South (lived in FL during the 1st waves, then lived inthe Northeast later, huge difference in how people cared/seriously they took it)

Interestingly I didn't see the NE much different when I was CT and NYC back in October.

3 hours ago, TEDodd said:

Interestingly I didn't see the NE much different when I was CT and NYC back in October.

All depends I suppose. At least from FL to Providence, RI it was pretty stark but whatever. By this point honestly everywhere is starting to slack. I think by now everyone, even if they've been good is just fed up/broken and feeling natural excitement that the end is in sight.  
Regardless I feel pretty safe in a park. 

I was at Dollywood yesterday. The park opened at 10 am. I arrived at 9:15 am and lot C was already almost full. Lines for temperature checks were very long and they were not even asking the 4 questions, just checking temperatures. I got into the park at 9:45 and got in line for Lightning Rod, which was already to Dolly's Closet store. They opened the ride at 10:15 and were running two trains. The loading process is very slow because people with items that need to be stored  have to walk over the seats, place their items in the bins, then get back into the trains. For some reason, people can't move quickly and get this done quickly, causing long wait times. Then there are the people that didn't try out the test seat and can't fit into the ride, causing further delays because you have to wait for them to disembark the train. When I got off the ride and looked at the wait time sign it said 180 minutes. I'm sorry, although this is a good ride, no ride is worth a 3-hour wait to me. I checked the phone app and all the wait times for the coasters were long. They have increased their capacity and it was packed. As a matter of fact. I've never seen it this crowded on a Wednesday and I go every week or so. I ended up leaving just after 12 noon because you literally could not move throughout the park without bumping into other people. Mask wearing was decent, about 90% with 10% not wearing them at all. I say no park employees asking people to wear masks and all the seats were being filled on all the rides. They are basically back to pre-Covid levels. The only think I saw them do was sanitize the rides hourly. Other than that, it's back to normal crowds at Dollywood. Don't go without a Time Saver Unlimited or you won't get on any rides without a long wait.

Yup the crowds are to be expected esp after last year, they will die down so the 2 trains is great news!
Sorry it was such a rough time. I never did get why so many struggle w the easiest things of ya know, navigating a station, moving slow etc but then I remember that is the different between (Ugh I hate the term) "GP" and us lol but yeah if the park already seems to be returning to normal...I have little concern the rest will die down. I am still banking on need using time saver when I go and think it'll be ok

To clarify a bit...

As of April 12, 2021, we have adjusted our COVID-19 safety requirements to the following:

Per the CDC’s guidelines on safe outdoor activities, our outdoor areas, where six feet of distance can be maintained between parties, are now mask-optional spaces. Guest masking is required at all ticketing areas, park entry, on rides and trams, in queues, all indoor areas and areas where guests cannot socially distance outdoors.

Guests and employees are still required to participate in a self-assessment health screening prior to entry, but temperature checks are no longer part of the process.

Areas of the property where masks are required will be clearly marked and strictly enforced.

Employees will continue to wear masks at all times while on the property.

Link

---

I feel like walking around a theme park outdoors with a mask on seems unnecessary if you’re not in a crowded area but I get why it’s much easier to put a blanket policy in place than ask the general public to use basic common sense and have the employees try to enforce things that are total judgement calls.

I'm absolutely in favor of this in theory but let's see how it goes in reality where we have to rely on the public to use common sense.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tndank said:

Masks only required when indoors now. Temp checks now gone, too.

Nice. I have no issue wearing them, and I likely still will at times, BUT when moving and hot its deff not super pleasant. Given I'll be vaxxed by then, it will be nice to enjoy some outdoor face freedom lol Would deff put it on around groups/people. 

Ha yeah Bill we already know exactly what will result from letting people handle it themselves. 

• Like 1

I think we know how reality will go. We saw it Holiday World last night. Very few will wear masks at all except when asked to entering a store. 

That's about all they can do now.  I like the news but that's just my opinion.  To each their own. 

Of course, and its unfair even to pin it on certain states, groups etc most people, regardless of where, will take the liberty provided esp after a year of this...those of us who have taken it seriously and followed protocols (and I mean that I nixed all my park trips and in general didn't leave the city except to go home twice) take the mask off when we can. So yeah can't judge, not moralizing, (except that I hope everyone gets the vaccine, which I know not all are....and that does piss me off) but yeah, whatever I'm neutral on the action, am fully aware how people will respond to it and long as people aren't around I deff won't be wearing it either (and if I am and someone makes some snide remark to me I dont give a **** lol already dealt with it in FL when some people would openly mock/be angry with me for wearing a mask) 

I'm excited to just finally be going to this legendary park, trying to almost downplay it bc I'm scared of overhyping it. Tough to contain though as I'm currently looking up lodging, feels "real" now

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

^ Eh, that only really matters very close to the station. Farther out, your wait is much more dependent on the number of people in front of you. There's really no need to ever crowd when you're an hour away.

I was joking.

15 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Of course, and its unfair even to pin it on certain states, groups etc most people, regardless of where, will take the liberty provided esp after a year of this...those of us who have taken it seriously and followed protocols (and I mean that I nixed all my park trips and in general didn't leave the city except to go home twice) take the mask off when we can. So yeah can't judge, not moralizing, (except that I hope everyone gets the vaccine, which I know not all are....and that does piss me off) but yeah, whatever I'm neutral on the action, am fully aware how people will respond to it and long as people aren't around I deff won't be wearing it either (and if I am and someone makes some snide remark to me I dont give a **** lol already dealt with it in FL when some people would openly mock/be angry with me for wearing a mask) 

I'm excited to just finally be going to this legendary park, trying to almost downplay it bc I'm scared of overhyping it. Tough to contain though as I'm currently looking up lodging, feels "real" now

I’ve been *pretty* good for the last year with following guidelines, and now that I’m fully vaxx’d, I’ll 100% take advantage of not having to wear a mask when I’m not required to while walking around Dollywood. I hope other parks loosen up mask requirements while walking around midways (queues and shops I totally understand) but I understand that makes it a million times harder to enforce. 

• Like 2

I probably still would in lines even if that requirement was dropped but for now prob best they keep that rule in place lol 
All in all not too concerned and really trying not to think about it. Been a weird balance between being prepared knowing things may not be quite "right" or go to plan but trying to also stay excited. Like I assume all the crowds Ive been seeing (almost universally) are due to spring break, openings etc and I assume the days I plan to be here will be fine, but ya know its a whacky year.....trying to go w the flow and not sweat it. Esp as here does have the time saver if need be. 

On 4/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, southpuddle said:

I’ve been *pretty* good for the last year with following guidelines, and now that I’m fully vaxx’d, I’ll 100% take advantage of not having to wear a mask when I’m not required to while walking around Dollywood. I hope other parks loosen up mask requirements while walking around midways (queues and shops I totally understand) but I understand that makes it a million times harder to enforce. 

The problem with that is that people will not put them on in the queue lines or inside shops. Once they are off, then they will be off for the entire day, in my opinion.