TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

23 hours ago, SharkTums said:

Has Lightning Rod been operating better since dying on opening day?

The problem with Lighting Rod right now is the LONG wait times in line because of them only running one train. I refuse to wait in line 2 hours for any ride.

6 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

The problem with Lighting Rod right now is the LONG wait times in line because of them only running one train. I refuse to wait in line 2 hours for any ride.

Don't they have some sort of line skip you could get to help with the wait time? 

Don't they have some sort of line skip you could get to help with the wait time? 
They sure do and right now it's worth it because most rides have a fairly long wait. I'd hate to spend money on it for one ride

1 hour ago, Pseybert said:

What's been the average LR wait with the skip pass? Are they still at only 1 train?

Yes, still only one train. They are waiting for a fix from the manufacturer. Even the TimeSaver Line is long, about an hour, instead of 2 plus in the regular line. It's not a good time to ride Lightning Rod right now because of the long wait times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 12:48 PM, tndank said:

Love Dollywood firing up discounted tickets this week to help with their light crowds so far this season.  🤣

Just got back from Dollywood. Lightning Rod was running two trains today. I got in line at 9:30 am. They starting sending trains out at 10:10 am and they were running two trains today and there didn't appear to be any issues. The line was long and at 10:30 the wait time posted on the sign was 140 minutes, so I only rode one time. They must have also tweaked some of the rough spots on the track or maybe the transition from the Topper Track to the I-Box track because it was super smooth. The last two times I rode it, there were rough patches on the track, but not today. It was smooth from beginning to end. I think the only way to ride this coaster in a timely manner will be to get the TimeSaver passes.

Or not go when it's spring break! Now that it (I assume) will be running 2 trains I think all will be fine going forward. 
If not well yeah thats what TimeSaver is for! 
Naa, two trains don't help it much. It stacks like crazy

2 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

Just got back from Dollywood. Lightning Rod was running two trains today. I got in line at 9:30 am. They starting sending trains out at 10:10 am and they were running two trains today and there didn't appear to be any issues. The line was long and at 10:30 the wait time posted on the sign was 140 minutes, so I only rode one time. They must have also tweaked some of the rough spots on the track or maybe the transition from the Topper Track to the I-Box track because it was super smooth. The last two times I rode it, there were rough patches on the track, but not today. It was smooth from beginning to end. I think the only way to ride this coaster in a timely manner will be to get the TimeSaver passes.

Wow it actually ran reliably with two trains? Its a miracle! lol 🤣🙃

• Like 1

That's some the fault of the ride ops, but even more the riders.

I remember a few trains that unloaded, loaded, and dispatched smoothly. But certainly wasn't the norm. Seems there's always a couple that don't get the plan and slow things down.

And of course the ride is so short you'll always hit the brake run before the next train is loaded. But I think with smooth ops/riders they could get 50% more throughput than single train.

Back in the 1st or 2nd year Pete Owens gave the expected riders per hour but I don't remember the number.

2 hours ago, dstephe9 said:
3 hours ago, JJLehto said:
Or not go when it's spring break! Now that it (I assume) will be running 2 trains I think all will be fine going forward. 

lol this ride is cursed. 

Well, I'll hope for the best, but if things seem jammed, can TimeSavers be bought day of?

1 hour ago, TEDodd said:

That's some the fault of the ride ops, but even more the riders.

I remember a few trains that unloaded, loaded, and dispatched smoothly. But certainly wasn't the norm seems there's always a couple that don't get the plan and slow things down.

And of course the rude to e is so short you'll always hit the brake run before the next train I'd loaded. But I think with smooth opaque/riders they could get 50% more throughput than single train.

Back in the 1st or 2nd year Pete Owens gave the expected riders per hour but I don't remember the number.

I can't count how many times I've sat in the scorching sun outside of the station because someone boarding refused to accept that they couldn't fit in the seat. Everyone should be entitled to a 30-second shot clock. After that, time to pack it up.

• Like 1

lol this ride is cursed. 

Just the nature of a short ride. It's listed as 3 minutes, but we know it's shorter from dispatch to brake run.

I just don't see a train rolling in, unloading, reloading and being ready for dispatch when the previous train hits the brake run.

But they could dispatch with only a 30 second wait if they didn't spend forever trying to get bars latched and dealing with loose articles late in the process. How hard is it to have everything ready before the entry gates open?

Well, I'll hope for the best, but if things seem jammed, can TimeSavers be bought day of?
They've been selling out onlIne. I think they save some for in park sale, but they probably go fast.

16 hours ago, JJLehto said:

It doesn't matter if it is spring break or not. They were not even at capacity, which is reduced because of COVID. Expect longer lines when the park goes full capacity again when the restrictions are lifted. The park wasn't busy, but everyone wanted to ride Lightning Rod for sure.

3 hours ago, u4icmusic said:

It doesn't matter if it is spring break or not. They were not even at capacity, which is reduced because of COVID. Expect longer lines when the park goes full capacity again when the restrictions are lifted. The park wasn't busy, but everyone wanted to ride Lightning Rod for sure.

Nah it deff matters lol I mean its spring break. You're local so its whatever but coming from a distance all about planning the best ya can :)
Eh I've asked every year about the time of year I am planning and I've never gotten anything but "It will be quiet and if not totally quiet the TimeSaver will allow easy marathoning" I aint concerned. Limited capacity also means slower ops, full capacity means more crowd but ya know its not limited, so it all balances out. All will be fine, if its busy thats what TimeSaver is for. 

Speaking of, so can you buy TimeSaver day of? Would hate to get one before and its unnecessary but not sure if they're usually available day of. 

30 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Speaking of, so can you buy TimeSaver day of? Would hate to get one before and its unnecessary but not sure if they're usually available day of. 

Normally you can.  But, they have sold out many times so far this year days ahead of time.  Slower time of year, probably safe except maybe Saturday.

5 hours ago, I306 said:

Has anyone had luck buying Timesavers at the park? I tried buying one online but they are sold out for my date.

They only sell a limited quantity for each day. If they are sold out online, then they will also be sold out at the park. When you try to buy online it will show how many are remaining for that particular day. If the number remaining is high, then you might be able to buy one at the park. However, I've seen them have 75 available and check two days later and they are have all been sold. Buy as soon as you can. With reduced hours and being closed two days a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, there is a huge demand to get into the park, especially from season pass holders. I believe there won't be any slow or less crowded days this season unless it is a very rainy day.

18 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

They only sell a limited quantity for each day. If they are sold out online, then they will also be sold out at the park. When you try to buy online it will show how many are remaining for that particular day. If the number remaining is high, then you might be able to buy one at the park. However, I've seen them have 75 available and check two days later and they are have all been sold. Buy as soon as you can. With reduced hours and being closed two days a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays, there is a huge demand to get into the park, especially from season pass holders. I believe there won't be any slow or less crowded days this season unless it is a very rainy day.

Someone in one of the Dollywood groups on Facebook said they called the park and were told that the Timesaver reservation facility inside the park is allocated 100 each day. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Quick note: They only sell 125/day right now.  Sold out until April 11th.  Normally they do 500.  I've also heard they have them at the park but I was lead to believe it was much lower than 100 and you need to there at open and go straight there.  Good luck.