TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I've not ridden, and it's hard for me to get my bearings from the photo/POV footage, but they have removed the horseshoe turn after as well, right? So instead of going straight on, it turns 90-degrees to the left and the new drop to the left takes you straight into the turn into that set of brakes?

2 hours ago, KarlaKoaster said:

I've not ridden, and it's hard for me to get my bearings from the photo/POV footage, but they have removed the horseshoe turn after as well, right? So instead of going straight on, it turns 90-degrees to the left and the new drop to the left takes you straight into the turn into that set of brakes?

Here is what the ride used to look like in that area. Photo from RCDB

So, it now just takes a hard left, and drops right into the inclined U-Turn..into more brakes. 

I did love this part of the ride, sad to see it removed. 

Mystery Mine.jpg

• Like 2

I'm surprisingly okay with this... The outdoor section was always the worst part of the ride for me.

As for the layout changes... It's pretty much impossible to go from that second brake run to the bumps underneath the trellis... I'd bet that the spiral there is still part of the layout.

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

So what you're trying to say is that Dollywood has baffled Baffles?

Well and truly 🤣

From Dollywood's blog -

Mystery Mine is on track (yes, that was a joke) to open a week or two after the park opens. We have been working with the ride manufacturer to enhance the guest experience. Our crews are extending the track after the first outside drop and reprofiling some of the turns and transitions to provide a smoother ride.

https://blog.dollywood.com/index.php/2021/03/09/top-3-dollywood-signs-spring-is-here/

Intrigued to see how they are 'extending' it, unless there's more changes in areas outside of the photos.

Preferred parking is $30 with a $10 discount with a gold season pass.

Really discouraging preferred parking now.
When they gave full credit for regular parking (with gold pass) it was great. But only half the value? I paid the extra $10 many times, but doubt I'll pay $20.
  • Like 1

Nothing was extended.  Instead of the 90 degree drop and turn around, it turns left and drops down into the spiral to the next brakes.  The track is now shorter.

Yeah I can see that, but Dollywood has stated 'extended' in their blog text, which is clearly a slight error.

Oof....yeah yet another ride I'm getting too after its been neutered. I mean its Mystery Mine soooooo not that big a deal but it sounds like this was one of the best parts. Well guess I wont know what I'm missing but shame the ride is going to be even lamer now XD 

12 hours ago, DBru said:

Dollywood just posted these photos of Mystery Mine.

43FAA038-3B70-4E30-B0CF-B497FDE61AB6.thumb.jpeg.7b2cb30e39671ff04e96e27a45b41e8c.jpeg8682C787-F088-4831-9FDF-1E815DC72E3B.thumb.jpeg.5e98a8c33d8b650a524f2a37cc5f1ea0.jpeg

I’m honestly shocked. They’ve removed my favorite part of the ride (insane drop off the trestle). This would be like Great Adventure removing El Toro’s Rolling Thunder hill or Cedar Point removing Maverick’s Stengel dive.

Hopefully the change comes with a retrofit of lap bars to the trains...but that’s not sounding likely.

Little late to the conversation. But has anyone else noticed that part of the Horseshoe is still there? Also, we have yet to see pictures of the other half of the outside section. There could be work done over there that we cant see. I'm sure we will get a million pictures come Friday.

As for the trains, Pete implied that MM will be using the same trains as last year.

• Like 1

My guess for Mystery Mine's changes are to make the ride more reliable and smooth. Dollywood is being smart taking a break from prioritizing additions over improvements.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, bert425 said:

six flags in Texas are, I believe, $27. ($25 if you pre-buy online)

(but most passes and memberships include parking these days)

It's definitely a good strategy to sell more season passes and memberships.

• Like 1

Hmmm some of yall may have been right about the launch being slowed own farther. Disclaimer: Its one POV and its March so I know it's not perfect, but there is POV out of the redone Lightning Rod. It DOES look really slow over the top, like it seems to barely crest. Also seems real slow in the wave turn. I'm kinda nervous the first half is gunna be neutered. People have already said the 1st half was never quite the same after they slowed the launch originally so :(

OR its an empty train on new track in March so it may be deceptive esp since POVs are never perfect at conveying feel lol And I know some claimed it'll be as fast over most of it/even quicker second half due to the new smoothness. But still.....I know its supposed to be wild from drop to end, if it feels a little underwhelming I'll know its a neutered ride. I'd be doubly bummed since I had everything ready to go last year..... Hope Im wrong and it wont be subdued!

• Like 1

Just saw the Mystery Mine retrack... 🤮🤮🤮

Could be maintenance, could be the GP. Could be the drop, could be the turn. We'll probably never find out.

All I know is, however choppy and strange the first half already was... it just got worse.

53 minutes ago, IanKgtr said:

Just saw the Mystery Mine retrack... 🤮🤮🤮

Could be maintenance, could be the GP. Could be the drop, could be the turn. We'll probably never find out.

All I know is, however choppy and strange the first half already was... it just got worse.

It's not done yet. They are still waiting on parts. I loved it the way it was, but some people found it too jerky, so they are trying to fix those rough spots. I'll be there tomorrow for season pass holder preview day and I'll take a look because Mystery Mine won't be running, but we can still walk underneath the track and take some photos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJLehto said:

Hmmm some of yall may have been right about the launch being slowed own farther. Disclaimer: Its one POV and its March so I know it's not perfect, but there is POV out of the redone Lightning Rod. It DOES look really slow over the top, like it seems to barely crest. Also seems real slow in the wave turn. I'm kinda nervous the first half is gunna be neutered. People have already said the 1st half was never quite the same after they slowed the launch originally so :(

OR its an empty train on new track in March so it may be deceptive esp since POVs are never perfect at conveying feel lol And I know some claimed it'll be as fast over most of it/even quicker second half due to the new smoothness. But still.....I know its supposed to be wild from drop to end, if it feels a little underwhelming I'll know its a neutered ride. I'd be doubly bummed since I had everything ready to go last year..... Hope Im wrong and it wont be subdued!

I watched the video too and it looks exactly the same speed to me. I think watching the video and actually riding it will be key here. I'll report back tomorrow night after riding it.

I made a side-by-side comparison of the new POV with a previous one filmed in the same position by the same team.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/604a8689ebd50-lightning-rod-comparison.php

New on the left, old on the right.

New one seems a lot slower over the top and first drop, and generally through the layout? Obviously some of that is gonna be because it's new and cold, but it's still a fair difference to make up! The old video is 30 seconds shorter, and some of that will be fluff like station and credits faff, but it's still big gap?

• Like 1

^ I'm sorry, but the launch up the lift hill looks EXACTLY the same.

it's slower cresting the hill because of an empty train (and the cold).

I see no difference in the launch speed.

• Like 3

^ I'm sorry, but the launch up the lift hill looks EXACTLY the same.
I see no difference in the launch speed.

Agree. I think it's the temperature.
I stopped and resynced in a few spots. It'd stay in sync for a while then the current would get a bit behind. But it seemed to take a bit, not a stead shifts like it was slower overall.

Particularly I got them in sync coming out of the turn from the station, before the launch and they seemed to crest the hill together.
  • Like 2