TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was really hoping that the re-tracking could return the ride to it's original speed but it looks to slow down at the top just as it did before.
I road the first day it was open to the public (with many hours waiting in that line and talked to Pete/the press after the ride) and many times over the years since and never noticed this supposed change.

Do you have videos showing it faster at some point?

The LSMs have always stopped at the same place so the push always ended before the top and it naturally slowed before creating the hill.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TEDodd said:

I road the first day it was open to the public (with many hours waiting in that line and talked to Pete/the press after the ride) and many times over the years since and never noticed this supposed change.

Do you have videos showing it faster at some point?

The LSMs have always stopped at the same place so the push always ended before the top and it naturally slowed before creating the hill.

They did remove the last section of LSM's after having so many problems with the launch and damage to the tracks on the bottoms of the first two hills. That didn't work, so that is why they decided to replace 2/3's of the Topper Track with the I-Box track over the last few months. When Lightning Rod first opened the LSM's went all the way to the top of the launch hill, but have long since been removed.

5 hours ago, coastercoaster5 said:

Was really hoping that the re-tracking could return the ride to it's original speed but it looks to slow down at the top just as it did before.

That slow down doesn't affect the ride experience at all. You still get the high speeds after going down the first two hills. RMC made the decision to remove the last section of LSM's to try and prevent the damage to the Topper Track that was happening and was one of the reasons there was so much down time over the last few years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

That slow down doesn't affect the ride experience at all. You still get the high speeds after going down the first two hills. RMC made the decision to remove the last section of LSM's to try and prevent the damage to the Topper Track that was happening and was one of the reasons there was so much down time over the last few years.

Yeah that's what I figured, I sometimes hear it get made a big deal of "oh if only it still was like...." "wont ever be quite the same as when" "shame its not like at first" and I never got how it could be that big a deal... just enthusiasts doing their thing I guess! 
Yeah I heard that was why they did it and that supposedly it has improved the downtime. Seems like a plus to me. Get it running better! I am stoked to see it's testing already, and can't wait to finally get to this park! 

26 minutes ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

Yeah I rode it a couple of weeks after it opened in 2016 and again in 2019 and it seemed just as intense both times. I did enjoy the rollback in 2019 though 🤣

Yeah I get that the intensity is the same. That first pop of airtime that is now gone looked pretty special but I want to ride this just as bad still.

I went back to this early video (June 8, 2016).

On 6/8/2016 at 1:55 PM, Dollywoodlover20 said:

I don't see any difference in the speed at the top of the hill vs the recent one of testing after retrack.

Edited by TEDodd
Add the video link again
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Yeah that's what I figured, I sometimes hear it get made a big deal of "oh if only it still was like...." "wont ever be quite the same as when" "shame its not like at first" and I never got how it could be that big a deal... just enthusiasts doing their thing I guess! 
Yeah I heard that was why they did it and that supposedly it has improved the downtime. Seems like a plus to me. Get it running better! I am stoked to see it's testing already, and can't wait to finally get to this park! 

If you watch the testing video from this week, the train barely makes it over the top of the launch hill.  Definitely a lot slower than when I rode it when it first opened.

6 hours ago, TEDodd said:

I went back to this early video (June 8, 2016).

I don't see any difference in the speed at the top of the hill vs the recent one of testing after retrack.

If you watch this video, and watch closely at the 14 minute mark, you can see the speed. You can also see the LSM's that were removed. You can hear the narrator talking about the airtime on the crest after the launch. That airtime no longer happens. Also watch at 16:40 to see the original speed and LSM's. This video also mentions that it was built as a hybrid coaster due to the steel supports and Topper Track, so it never was a true wooden coaster from day one.

Here's another video showing the original speed over the first crest. It was fun while it lasted.

Please don't make three separate posts. You can edit your posts, y'know. I've merged them together.

As for the change in speed, Lightning Rod was still the #2 overall coaster on the TPR Coaster Poll this year, so who freaking cares? I get flashbacks to when people were complaining about how Skyrush started slowing down as it crested the lift.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, A.J. said:

Please don't make three separate posts. You can edit your posts, y'know. I've merged them together.

As for the change in speed, Lightning Rod was still the #2 overall coaster on the TPR Coaster Poll this year, so who freaking cares? I get flashbacks to when people were complaining about how Skyrush started slowing down as it crested the lift.

Are there rules about how many times one can post? I'm well aware that posts can be edited, as I do it all the time. Personally, the speed makes no difference to the ride experience, except for the airtime on the first crest. There are people that don't believe the coaster was slowed down, so I was showing them how it was. Next time send me a personal message rather than scold me in the forum.

There aren't but generally there's no reason to double post ever unless your last post was a long time ago and you need to bump the topic with some new information. It's always better to edit an existing post.

Anyway hopefully Lightning Rod works now. I'm entirely confused as to what's going on with Mystery Mine because it's totally weird and I'm almost more interested in that project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A.J. said:

Exactly, like I'm sure it was cool to have that air pop over the top, but the big deal that was made seemed kinda silly to me. Skyrush is a good point, also I thought of El Toro. Opening year you got some air over the top. It was slowed down later but any impact on the overall ride? Clearly not lol 

I am just glad its testing and they made the choice to improve reliability. A ride that runs better > unfettered speed over one hill. All I want is the ride to be open, (I'll be in TN for a few days, I may legit just keep things open and shuffle my plans to make sure I go to DW when its running) and little crowds. 

Ah Bill and his Mystery Mine crush ❤️ Though I do hope that will be running too. Jokes aside looks like a fun experience. 

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

There aren't but generally there's no reason to double post ever unless your last post was a long time ago and you need to bump the topic with some new information. It's always better to edit an existing post.

Anyway hopefully Lightning Rod works now. I'm entirely confused as to what's going on with Mystery Mine because it's totally weird and I'm almost more interested in that project.

They took out and reprofiled the section just after the first brake and vertical drop on the trestle.  Said it was a couple hundred feet.  I think they extended it a bit further so that turnaround isn't so immediate. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, coasterbill said:

Is it me or did they cut down a ton more trees?

I wonder, could the removal be for safety? The speed that the train has as it comes back over the mountain; if a branch fell, that could be disasters for the riders. I know other coasters fly through trees, but I wonder if Dollywood wanted to open it up for safety or accessibility. It does seem odd, since Dollywood strives for conservation and replanting of trees. The park said this back in 2009

"The abundance of trees in and around the park also allows Dollywood to enhance its sustainability efforts.... [T]he park uses a 6 or 7 to 1 rule, meaning "If you have a tree that dies or has to be removed, we replace it with 6 or 7 trees somewhere on the property.""

So, just from Lightning Rod hillside that's a lot of trees to replant. 

Or maybe the bees from Wild Eagle moved to those woods so they cut it down 😂

Yeah not to be that guy but I'd be curious to know where all the tree replacements are for the ones they cleared for Wildwood Grove and the Lightning Rod upgrade... Seems to be a bit of a stretch. They got a lot of planting to do.

Timesavers are digital this year on your phone. You can get a paper at the office it says.  Cheaper options appears to be 8 rides with no restrictions.

Lightning Rod is still missing from the web page (and thus, from TimeSaver) currently. 

1 hour ago, sdcfan88 said:

Yeah not to be that guy but I'd be curious to know where all the tree replacements are for the ones they cleared for Wildwood Grove and the Lightning Rod upgrade... Seems to be a bit of a stretch. They got a lot of planting to do.

Naw. They'll probably buy grown trees from an already established nursery that does this for parks like them and Disney.

Or, probably like Disney, they'll grow the trees in a nursery like setting, them self. Problem solved!

On 2/26/2021 at 6:53 AM, Jdprince45 said:

Boy there is A LOT. to unpack here. Lightning Rod -SOUNDS- awesome now. That RMC roar is something even on video, I can't imagine in person. Looks like it hauls up that launch hill again like it used too... also I notice the lead car is back on once more (the original car I think). They're halfway done retracking the original track on Thunderhead with South American Ipe, or Ironwood.  RMC apparently is also working on Blazing Fury as well which I did not know.... they're retracking that as well. Mystery Mine retracking is continuing after that trestle part... Sounds like they aren't going to be able to open it on opening day though. "Reprofiling" it, apparently...  They've completely demolished one of the store buildings around one of the larger outdoor seating areas, I'm not sure exactly where... It looks a lot more open though without it. They've moved the blacksmith shop, and the gentleman behind the glass blowing part of the store has retired. They're still gonna sell some of his glassworks, but his actual work area will no longer exist. I believe they've moved the blacksmith area into where the pottery area used to be.... They've repainted and put a new roof on the church there. New seating area being added for the Hickory House BBQ area. A LOT of work going on in Craftsman Valley.  The building that once housed the southern gospel museum is getting a facelift as well...

Looks like they went and focused a lot of money into revamping the park a bit this year, particularly that Craftsman Valley area.  Just from that video, I can't remember them every doing this much work to the park. Can't wait to see it.

1 hour ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

Nice to hear about all the improvements going on at the park. I am interested to see what happens with Mystery Mine. I have never ridden it, but retracking/reprofiling a steel coaster is always interesting and a bit unusual.

The first half of Mystery Mine needs to some work in terms of reprofiling. The second half is a very good coaster. 

5 hours ago, SSL said:

Lightning Rod -SOUNDS- awesome now. That RMC roar is something even on video, I can't imagine in person.

Yeah noticed that too. Almost sounds B&M-ish if that's a term. lol

At the same time the more I look into it, the more I feel the same as coasterbill regarding the interest in the Mystery Mine project a few posts back. It will be interesting to see if they rework the interior theming and even the finale segment too.

Well I'm committed. Either late April or mid May I'll finally be going. I know caveat: anything can happen in a year like this. But in general, are weekdays in mid May usually crowded? Just torn between making this a solo trip or tacking it onto my larger southern road trip, only difference would be late April 24-30ish vs like May 18-20ish 

Also never been to the area. If there are any recs/tips for stuff to do in Knoxville, Gatlinburg, or hiking I am all ears. I know the Smoky Mnt Park is not far.