TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I personally enjoy museums as much as rides.  I go into Town Hall at CP every visit.  I stopped inside each one at Dollywood and tried to take in as many shows as possible in my two days there.  Thinking "people want rides, not museums" is pretty darn ignorant and just shows no understanding how a well rounded park is operated.  There needs to be something for everyone, not just enthusiasts who neglected their deodorant again.

It is not safe to be inside a movie theater, a Dollywood show or any indoor activity at this time.

Your call. I had/have no qualms about a movie theater or other indoor venue.

Then again, I'm not over 65 and in good health, so not worried about the SARS-2 virus. No more than I was about MERS or H1N1, or even Ebola (and I was in Liberia at the end of that).

^ I don't see any track removed, only the yellow tarp over the launch motors.  It looks like a trick of the light as the left track is in shadow while the right track is being hit dead-on by the sunlight.

Anyways, their 2021 teaser was Lighting Strikes Twice.  I'm guessing there will be a small launch at the base of the lift followed by a second gut-puncher halfway up the hill, hence the tarps over the motors there.

18 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

^ I don't see any track removed, only the yellow tarp over the launch motors.  It looks like a trick of the light as the left track is in shadow while the right track is being hit dead-on by the sunlight.

Anyways, their 2021 teaser was Lighting Strikes Twice.  I'm guessing there will be a small launch at the base of the lift followed by a second gut-puncher halfway up the hill, hence the tarps over the motors there.

I can't tell if it is the sun or shadows, but the left-hand track looks different. Can't tell if it has been removed though. It does look like the left track and part of the lower section of the right track were removed or modified somehow. I'll be there on Friday, so I'll check it out.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:50 AM, middle_keeny said:

If you look at their show lineup. All except "Christmas in the Smokies" is at an Outdoor Theater.  The Celebrity Theater is pretty large so it would be easy to space out in there.

Christmas in the Smokies—a heartwarming tradition that families have enjoyed for 30 years—returns indoors to center stage at DP’s Celebrity Theater. Guests also can enjoy a new show, called Heart of the Holidays, which features several members of Dolly’s family and includes a mix of some of her holiday favorites alongside songs from her new Christmas album, A Holly Dolly Christmas. Heart of the Holidays takes place in the DreamSong Theater. Another returning guest favorite, Christmas with the Kingdom Heirs, can be found at the Pines Theater.”

15 hours ago, dstephe9 said:

I had actually posted and heard of this rumor about a month back. Won't surprise me. Rumor I heard was that it a hybrid track. Some wood and some ibox

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

There is no wood track anywhere on the coaster. The Lightning rod uses steel "topper track" on top of the wood structure. I'm thinking the topper track is not as strong as the I-Box track and maybe with all the force of the trains, it is causing dips and bends in the track that an I-Box track would not experience. I think it was poorly designed to begin with and as fun as the ride is, it needs to start running all the time.

Yeah, the difference to the rider between I-Box track and the current track is really minimal. The only major difference would be that the ride would actually be open when you wanted to ride it and when you were in line for it you could hear a bunch of obnoxious enthusiasts bragging to everyone who was willing to listen that they rode it with the old track and it was way better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6