TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

They're building a second Lightning Rod, beside the first one!

Turning it into a racing coaster!

Yeah, take this as a serious suggestion, ha ha.

Build a second one. That way when one brakes down there is always another one to ride

My speculation has been the launch, and high stress areas are going to be replaced with I-Box. As far as I know the dimensions of the track are the same. So it’s really just down to how they are connected together and frankly that does not seem that difficult. GCI just did something similar to White Lightning. Retracting the entire coaster seems unnecessary, but I have no idea how often maintenance is having to work on the track and structure. It also depends on how much of the track needs upgraded. The lightning strikes twice makes me suspicious of just how much work is planned, it gives me this feeling it’s going to be a lot more then I originally thought, or I am trying to read too much into a simple sign.

I believe we will see the original front to the train return as well, I would think the removal will no longer be needed once it has been fixed.

It appears to me that the topper track system used for the Lightning Rod cannot handle the stress, speeds, and force caused by the trains. There should be no reason to have to re-track a coaster after only a few years of use. Something is up and we don't have the full story at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

From Dollymania.net:

"Gospel Hall Of Fame Leaving Dollywood
The Southern Gospel Music Association announced Monday on Facebook that its SGMA Hall of Fame and Museum at Dollywood will be closing after 21 years at that location due to the park choosing not to renew the lease on its building. The park has not indicated what may be going into the building in its place, but SGMA President Arthur Rice thanked Dolly, Dollywood and her partners, the Herschends, "for giving us a home for 21 years. We could not have done it without you." 

This is an interesting development for the prime location adjacent to the main gate area of the park.  According to the dipping dots guy (lol), one rumour suggests that the space will be utilized for administrative offices (hopefully not).  Seems like a disappointing choice when there are other dormant buildings in the park.

I would rather see the park continue to use it as a museum to showcase the park's history from the humble beginnings as Rebel Railroad to present day.  I always thought they could use a place to display memorabilia, including the numerous Golden Ticket Awards they have won throughout the years!

Another thought is, perhaps this is the beginning of a redesign for the main gate area, which is long overdue.  Before Covid, the park was drawing in record numbers of guests in the peak season and the current turnstile plaza could barely handle an efficient entry process for the influx of guests.

Other possible uses could be a new addition for a Food & Entertainment Hall, which has been speculated for some time but the park is challenged to build one because of limited open space in high traffic areas.  It would be nice to see and it would be a great opportunity for them to add a Coffee House!  Also, could a dark ride fit in the space?  Likely not, as that should be going in Wildwood Grove as the next major new attraction (2022?)  But what IF it's going to become a station for a Sky Bucket system to link the front of the park to Wildwood Grove or the upper train loop?  Anything is possible...

On 10/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Taylor Finn said:

Has anyone been to the park during Harvest Fest? Seems like they’ve hit capacity multiple weekdays already. It seems awfully surprising given reports of low, low crowds during the summer. Guess fall break and it being a popular event?

It's fall break for many schools around here last week and this week.  And pretty much every park in the country that is open is slammed now days.  

From Dollymania.net:
The Southern Gospel Music Association announced Monday on Facebook that its SGMA Hall of Fame and Museum at Dollywood will be closing after 21 years at that location due to the park choosing not to renew the lease on its building.

Disappointing. Does that mean the Jordanaires will also be leaving soon too?

On 10/14/2020 at 1:42 PM, DollyWould said:

From Dollymania.net:

The Southern Gospel Music Association announced Monday on Facebook that its SGMA Hall of Fame and Museum at Dollywood will be closing after 21 years at that location due to the park choosing not to renew the lease on its building. The park has not indicated what may be going into the building in its place, but SGMA President Arthur Rice thanked Dolly, Dollywood and her partners, the Herschends, "for giving us a home for 21 years. We could not have done it without you." 

This is an interesting development for the prime location adjacent to the main gate area of the park.  According to the dipping dots guy (lol), one rumour suggests that the space will be utilized for administrative offices (hopefully not).  Seems like a disappointing choice when there are other dormant buildings in the park.

I would rather see the park continue to use it as a museum to showcase the park's history from the humble beginnings as Rebel Railroad to present day.  I always thought they could use a place to display memorabilia, including the numerous Golden Ticket Awards they have won throughout the years!

Another thought is, perhaps this is the beginning of a redesign for the main gate area, which is long overdue.  Before Covid, the park was drawing in record numbers of guests in the peak season and the current turnstile plaza could barely handle an efficient entry process for the influx of guests.

Other possible uses could be a new addition for a Food & Entertainment Hall, which has been speculated for some time but the park is challenged to build one because of limited open space in high traffic areas.  It would be nice to see and it would be a great opportunity for them to add a Coffee House!  Also, could a dark ride fit in the space?  Likely not, as that should be going in Wildwood Grove as the next major new attraction (2022?)  But what IF it's going to become a station for a Sky Bucket system to link the front of the park to Wildwood Grove or the upper train loop?  Anything is possible...

No great loss. It would be a great spot for a new Dollywood entrance or a dark ride. Out of all the times I've been to Dollywood, I never wanted to see that museum. In my opinion, most guests want rides, not gospel museums.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, u4icmusic said:

No great loss. It would be a great spot for a new Dollywood entrance or a dark ride. Out of all the times I've been to Dollywood, I never wanted to see that museum. People want rides, not museums.

That's not really a fair assessment at a place like Dollywood. A large amount of people go there for the rides, yes, but they drive a lot of business for their non-ride offerings such as their shows, their food, the shopping, and yes, their museums. While I personally never checked out the Gospel Museum, I have checked out the Dolly Museum on previous visits and always left feeling like I could have spent a whole lot more time in there.

The assumption that "people want rides, not museums" is exactly the sort of point of view that I would expect out of the average coaster enthusiast.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2020 at 4:00 PM, u4icmusic said:

People want rides, not museums.

Shenanigans!

Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon bread?

I don't usually call out opinions but saying that people go to Dollywood for the rides is really out of touch with what that park and Silver Dollar City are for Herschend and the U.S. theme park scene in general.

• Like 6

Sure the rides are big attraction but there's a reason I dive 5+ hrs to DW vs 3 to SF.

The shows, the festivals (food and shows), the shops, and just the scenery (in and out of the park).

Most trips are 3-4 days and I catch several shows. During festivals I'll see 90% of the shows/acts and try about that many dishes. If there are special vendors I'll usually end up buying from 2 or 3.

And yes, ride every coaster 2-3 times.

Meanwhile SF is just a few hours to ride the coasters and go home.

So, no people don't just want rides. Not all and I dare say not even most visitors to DW.

• Like 3

We spent at least an hour just in Dolly's museum on my first and so far only trip. I could've spent all DAY.

Shoot, I told my mom that I wanna plan a trip to stay in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge for a whole two weeks so I could spend an entire day just sitting in front of the eagle habitat at Dollywood.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A.J. said:

Shenanigans!

Dollywood is a theme park. Do you realize how many people go to Dollywood for the shows? Or the Eagle habitat? Or the soot train? Or just to take it all in? Or the freaking cinnamon bread?

I don't usually call out opinions but saying that people go to Dollywood for the rides is really out of touch with what that park and Silver Dollar City are for Herschend and the U.S. theme park scene in general.

I agree. I have friends that only go for the shows that don't ride any rides at all. However, I still believe people pay $79 plus tax for the rides at either a theme park or an amusement park. Dollywood doesn't even have any indoor shows this year, so they surely can't be going for the shows now. I also think people ride the rides over and over, and how many times can you walk through a gospel museum? That is for a small niche market of people. I don't know anyone personally that has ever walked through that museum. Obviously Dollywood no longer thinks the museum is a good fit and that is why they didn't renew the lease on the building. I have a Dollywood season pass and I also go on the "soot train," check out the eagle habitat and sometimes just walk around and take in all the sights, while people-watching. I've seen all the shows, when they were running, but "my" main reason for going is the rides.

Dollywood is super weird. There are plenty of days where they’re reasonably crowded and absolutely nobody is riding rides. I get it though... their shows are really good around Christmas and many of the people in them have experience on Broadway.

The rest of the time the shows are 99% bluegrass music which I don’t care about one bit, but a lot of people clearly do in eastern Tennessee. Lol

Hi some of you might rember me as lrod 67 and how much of a idot I was last year well if I made anyone mad im sorry for haveing that I left becuse of this thing we have to deal with you know what im talking about but im just saying im back

On 3/9/2020 at 2:50 PM, lrod67 said:

yes that would be a good Idea takeing out some of the walking from the bottom to the top of the park and I think they will make the lore of wild wood grove more with a townish In the back of the area

I thought wrong but that would still be cool

The rest of the time the shows are 99% bluegrass music which I don’t care about one bit, but a lot of people clearly do in eastern Tennessee. Lol

Hmm.. different idea of what bluegrass is maybe. Only time they really have bluegrass is during the BBQ festival and the harvest festival, and always seems to be outdoor performers (back porch, gazebo, or just roaming) never places like showstreet, celebrity, or pines.

I’m not here to discuss the intricacies of what type of bluegrass / country / backwoods whatever-the-f*ck music is what... most people know what I mean.

I guess I’ll amend that to “redneck music that I don’t care about” if it makes you feel better.

• Haha 3