TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Was just in the area for a week. Very few people are wearing masks. Some of the attractions were giving out masks and asking people to wear them and most people refused to wear masks. Lots were thrown on the ground. Only a few businesses were requiring them. Some restaurants were reducing capacity some were not. Lots of signs posted asking for compliance with social distancing but no enforcement that I saw. Staff at most businesses were wearing masks.

Yup same thing I said about the skylift a few weeks ago. They give them out and ask you to wear, but most people tossed them off GOING UP the lift, onto the ground. Ripley's had a free mask making station to make cloth mask! It was free the day I went (I'm sure it still is) the girl said 3 people had stopped to make mask. They were trying to make it fun, to encourage people to wear by teaching how to make one!

It's going to be very hard for Dollywood to enforce unless they kick everyone out of the park. I can already see mask tossed everywhere at Dollywood

We will see how it works out for them.

Even the outdoor attractions that required them, people weren't wearing and just ignored all requests when asked to put them on. These businesses really had nothing they could do bc it was everyone doing it, so how do you even attempt to handle that? With everything else going on, how do you even try and control thousands of people who refuse without simply closing your doors?

Disclaimer: This is not an anti-mask post. This is what I've truly observed around the area. My wife and I have been able to find some fairly thin mask at OLD Navy that seem fairly cool

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

These businesses really had nothing they could do bc it was everyone doing it, so how do you even attempt to handle that? With everything else going on, how do you even try and control thousands of people who refuse without simply closing your doors?

They'd only have to kick a few out before others got the point.

Yup same thing I said about the skylift a few weeks ago. They give them out and ask you to wear, but most people tossed them off GOING UP the lift, onto the ground.

That is awful. Not only are those people littering on natural landscape, they're also preventing someone who would actually use the mask from having it. I'm getting tired of head-ranting every time I read something like this.

Was just in the area for a week. Very few people are wearing masks. Some of the attractions were giving out masks and asking people to wear them and most people refused to wear masks. Lots were thrown on the ground. Only a few businesses were requiring them. Some restaurants were reducing capacity some were not. Lots of signs posted asking for compliance with social distancing but no enforcement that I saw. Staff at most businesses were wearing masks.
I did want to make a comment on the reduced capacity at restaurants. A lot actually are doing this, they've just removed tables unlike a lot of places that place signs on the table not to use. An example of this is old reds. They normally have double the amount of tables they have right now.

When they remove tables completely, it gives a look like you aren't reducing capacity but really are

Yup same thing I said about the skylift a few weeks ago. They give them out and ask you to wear, but most people tossed them off GOING UP the lift, onto the ground.

That is awful. Not only are those people littering on natural landscape, they're also preventing someone who would actually use the mask from having it. I'm getting tired of head-ranting every time I read something like this.

Skylfit tried to make it a souvenir type item. They printed or stamped Gatlinburg Skypark on them

I didn't get one, I had my own

Tennessee sucks. I’m not in pigeon forge, but visiting in middle Tennessee and keep getting stared down for wearing a mask when I go in stores. This state gets what it deserves if this thing spikes.

I did want to make a comment on the reduced capacity at restaurants. A lot actually are doing this, they've just removed tables unlike a lot of places that place signs on the table not to use. An example of this is old reds. They normally have double the amount of tables they have right now.

When they remove tables completely, it gives a look like you aren't reducing capacity but really are

The upstairs at the pancake pantry was closed, but downstairs tables were as packed in as ever

Calhouns and monster burgers had some Tables off limits.

Calhoun's has been in trouble for not following rules. They are based here in Knoxville and have been all in the news for it. I'm surprised they even had tables off limits

Calhoun's has been in trouble for not following rules. They are based here in Knoxville and have been all in the news for it. I'm surprised they even had tables off limits

We were there when the doors opened and the restaurant was empty so I may have misinterpreted

FYI,

If you are a season pass holder it appears you can only enter at 9, 10, 11 or 12. If you are more than an hour late they give you a super hard time and almost didn't let me and my wife in.

Considering we visit in the evenings a lot, there is no way to book anything past 12 with our season passes!

I was told it's so they could cancel your reservation and let someone else in if you don't show early enough........

Just tossing this out there

Dollywood, why not make evening specific hours for season pass holders as well!

To be fair you were an hour late. If I was a business I would probably sell your spot too.

That being said do agree that there should be evening slots for pass holders. While I don't know the exact statistics I would assume most pass holders attend towards the evening with ticket holders earlier. After all most pass holders are more local and work during the day while ticket holders are there earlier as they only have limited time.

I was actually like 5 hours late lol, but this was never mentioned online and I called the park about 8 times to ask what would happen if we didn't come until later and was never called back, was on hold for over an hour then hung up on and my email was responded by a robot didn't even come close to answering this question ha.

No option to book anything past 12 is a real buzz kill. We even considered just getting refunds for our passes when we found this out but was told to call for that so we sucked it up and will just go less

And yeah that's the killer, it's almost like they don't want local pass holders to come with all the limitations, I agree, most probably come later aside from those week long trips where a pass is less expensive than tickets

That's a real bummer about not being able to reserve a later time. I don't like that at all.
Same here.

Wife and I are here again today (on time this time) and they didn't even check our reservation today lol. Dollywood has always been very inconsistent on their policies, always depends on who you get (it's possible the reservation is now on the pass though, although it says to bring your reservation slip)

Also, both trips this week, they haven't been saying anything to guest not wearing mask. I'm happy to say the majority are but they haven't said a word to anyone that I've seen. It's dead today so I've taken mine off when no one's around and host haven't said a word. Just be safe about it

Edited by dstephe9

LR has been CD (closed for the day) on both of my trips for those curious.

Also, I know aunt Granny's is popular on here so PSA, they are family style right now. The website says cafeteria style. Family style is different than cafeteria. As a table you pick two entrees, 4 sides, and two sweets. Still all you can eat within your choices.

Cafeteria, in my mind, is buffet where someone serves you. Aunt Granny's isn't that

Staff has been at LR both trips so they are working through something but it is closed. Can anyone confirm if it was open on season pass holder day?

Staff just said it's down for maintenance both days I asked with no resolution time of when it will be open. They just say "not today"

Edit: so now that we are home I figured I'd add more after two visits to the park

Mask: Yes mask are required. Signs everywhere say that. Mask really aren't that bad, but they do get hot. I'd say about 80% of people wore mask, about 30% wore them correctly. Most had them on their chin and under their nose. As the day got hotter, especially today, mask started coming off. By the time I left, I'd say only 50% of people wore the.. I'll admit, I even took mine off some, but the park was DEAD and a ghost town for a lot of sections. I did have my mask on when people were around and only took it off when no one was around. I couldn't find any "mask free" areas to rest without a mask. (Supposedly Dollywood has some) I've also seen these posted about in other parks but I had to make my own. Sorry if that offends anyone. As for enforcing mask, it wasn't happening. Those that weren't wearing mask were walking by host, security, even police and nothing was ever said. I've seen people post on Facebook about the park enforcing this, but I've yet to see it in person.

Entering the park: you are required to have your temp checked entering the park. I recommend doing this in the parking lot before entering the tram. My wife and I skipped the parking lot check today, and the line to do so around the entrance gate was backed up around noon. Only two police checking temps there. Parking lot check had no one waiting, but we skipped it because we walked in.

Reservations: I've had two completely different experiences here. First experience was a slap on the wrist because I was several hours late. Today however, reservation wasn't even checked. They were even allowing people to buy tickets at the ticket window and enter without a reservation! We met one couple who said they heard they couldn't get in without one but thought they would give it a shot. The had no tickets, purchased tickets at the window, and walked right in.. Saturday and Sunday looked booked up so curious if anyone has a different experience then. As of now, season pass holders can only book reservations at 9, 10, 11, or 12 and I was told my first visit, you must check in 30 minutes before and up to 1 hour later. That's why I was late my first visit, I went after work. Like I'd imagine most locals do. Today, we both had the day off due to juneteenth so we were on time

Rides: they do make you use hand sanitizer before each ride and on the trams. both visits LR has been CD (closed for the day). Today, Blazing Fury broke down while we were on the train waiting to dispatch, Wild Eagle broke down both times we were in line, and then everything shut down once for thunder. Mystery Mine was always testing, but never saw anyone on it. Needless to say, we never got on a ride today. Bummer, but we got on some during our earlier visit this week

Food:. Festival food is great! Online says buffets are cafeteria style, however, we found them to be "family style". Big difference! We greatly enjoyed a lot of the flower and food festival foods though! It was fresh, homemade, and very tasty! A lot of the different punches and lemonades were also amazing!

Cleanliness of Park: I'm ashamed to say, all tables say "please wait until a host cleans" but both visits, we never saw a host cleaning. Tables were nasty. Hand washing stations out of soap and paper towls. Never saw anyone cleaning anything in queue lines or other high touch areas. All talk, little action here, at least from what we saw.

A lot of stuff closed.. a lot of shops closed.. almost all shows closed. Several restaurants closed.. a lot of smaller rides never opened.

Security: Wow, feels like entering a fricken airport! Metal detectors everywhere. Sheriffs department taking temps (if you don't do it in the parking lot) tons of police and security everywhere. I'm not sure if they are expecting riots or what but the security was worse than any park I've visited recently and that includes cedar fair parks and Disney. At least they have plenty of metal detectors! I feel this is really just to spread everyone out but entering right now almost looks like entering the magic kingdom.

Crowd's: both visits, crowd's have been pitiful. Very low. Parking not really much past B. Like, we are talking street side park levels. Like from those jankey carnivals and what not! Hopefully they pick up. Saturday and Sunday look booked. But for summer level crowd's, it's actually really concerning everything is so dead.. and it's not due to the limiting of crowd's. I believe the parked turned in a capacity of 30,000 - 35,000 to the city so half of that is 15,000ish. Even that's a lot for Dollywood and today I would be surprised if they hit 1000. From the parking lot of say they had less than 500 today! Just a guess though. Curious if this is due to the mask debate? Or something else! People are in the area, just not at Dollywood

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

650b75b63e877c781b1937b727ccb23f.jpg7dd5fdcc10cf2a65cf3edf54f4387b44.jpgc12dbd130c0eca36a4d8565074d99453.jpg242e171033747f16e6fb62715b3958ec.jpg

Has LR been closed a lot? I was planning on driving from VA (six and 1/2 hours) next week for my first visit but i'll postpone if LR is being that unreliable. That's one of the main draws for me. It's also concerning about the shows and some other rides being closed.