TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Thanks! Capacity is severely limited and it's tough to get reservations given the capacity reductions. The website is crashing because of all the traffic. I sincerely appreciate all of the people who are volunteering not to go to give the rest of us the opportunity. We really do appreciate you.

Less Karens the better in my opinion.

Wearing a mask is literally the simplest thing to do right now to keep people and yourself as safe as possible. Are they perfect? No. But some protection is better than nothing at all.

Like with anything else that you wear to a theme park, there are also different kinds of face coverings and you can look at the weather and dress accordingly. If it's going to be 90 degrees and humid then you wouldn't wear a big dust mask just like you wouldn't wear a heavy jacket. You can wear something more appropriate.

Edited by coasterbill

They are going to have a hard time enforcing it. I was at skypark this weekend (the chairlifts and large bridge). Skypark was handing them out, and making you put them on. 99% were taken off after the ticket window. Most were actually being thrown on the ground going up the lift. It was sad

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

With that being said, the reservation system is what's keeping me from buying a pass.. if I can't use it when I choose, I'm not ordering or buying one. I'm not wasting my time making reservations, especially considering my wife and I don't plan when we go

They will have to offer a significant discount in order to get me to buy a pass and I doubt they will do that just because the entire goal is to limit capacity.

Same with Disney, we cancelled our trip there after they couldn't guarantee we would be able to enter the parks with our tickets.

I bought tickets today for July 4th. I was greeted with an error saying that the transaction couldn't be completed after it processed for a while. I went to try again and was immediately denied because the first transaction still charged me. I never received a confirmation email and I'm unsure of what to do because there phone lines are only open Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11-3pm and I can't find another way to contact them about it. It was $180 dollars and I don't want to miss out on getting reservations for that day or lose out on $180 bucks.

I guess I'll wait until Friday to call but it's frustrating when you want it resolved immediately.

So it also appears a season pass is not unlimited visits this year..... At least they are refunding people it looks like

At Dollywood, which may be subject to change, you can reserve:

Up to two (2) Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays per month.

Up to three (3) Low Capacity or Almost Full days per month.

Up to three (3) consecutive days at any time.

there are also different kinds of face coverings and you can look at the weather and dress accordingly.

There's no mask that I'd find comfortable in summer heat. I could barely stand them in sub zero temps to stop frostbite, and only then for short periods.

I just don't like things in/on my face. Never have.

I think the mask conversation should be filled with a lot of nuance, and understanding of multiple viewpoints, but alas, it rarely is. It tends to devolve quickly into name calling, and the fact that not even all medical professionals agree on either the efficacy of masks, or whether they're safe to wear for extended periods of time, should show the issue is not as cut and dried as some seem to think. Regardless of what side of the issue you come down on, shaming, or insulting others shouldn't be something applauded, and I think it's a shame that society has gotten to the point, especially this year, where it's almost encouraged to be a jerk to people if they don't share a particular point of view. Civility definitely seems to be one of the many casualties of 2020...

As for Dollywood, it's a bit surprising they went this route, given the state they're in. But I suspect it was more of a Herschend corporate decision, since SDC did the same thing, and also, the older population of workers means it makes more sense as well. They ARE, by far, the most vulnerable to this virus.

Ultimately, I think accommodations should be made by every park requiring masks for health reasons, as some people simply cannot physically wear masks for lengthy periods of time due to breathing issues, and other health matters. There are also a lot of valid reasons to think wearing masks in the heat could lead to a spike in heatstroke, and fainting at parks, as well as some other issues if they are being worn on rides. I suspect that after a month or two of this policy, parks will have a lot of unintended consequences on their hands, and most will be re-evaluating the wisdom of this route of mitigation, and will alter the requirement. The most important mitigation strategies that should be employed, are distancing, frequent sanitization of rides, plenty of hand sanitizer stations, and of course, people washing hands frequently. I saw all of those policies in effect firsthand at Mt. Olympus the other day, and they seemed to work very well, and provided a good measure of proactive protection, while still allowing people to feel like they're enjoying a day at the park in relatively normal comfort. I applaud Mt. O for their handling of it, and I suspect when all is said and done, many other parks will move toward that model over time.

Again, if you disagree with me, so be it. You're entitled to. But please be kind, and please don't insult me, or my intelligence. I'm certainly no idiot, and have 22 years of experience in mental health, which is a health related field, and have done extensive investigation into this matter, beyond just what the mainstream sources are saying. (And as a former worker at a TV News station, I can assure you: their #1 goal is to keep you in fear, and keep you glued to your TV. That's how they "win", or make a profit. So take in everything they say with that in mind...) I just hate seeing all the divisiveness in the world today, and I especially hate to see it seep into my favorite hobby, of coaster enthusiasm. So this is my plea for harmony, and unity of spirit among us here, even if we can't always have it among ideals.

Good post, and a great example of that is the CDC and WHO. Not even they agree. Which one is right or wrong? This forum is one of the worst though when it comes to name calling or not allowing others to have an opinion at times. I've seen it on this mask issue a few times already

I have also stopped watching the news and it has really opened my eyes up a lot. Just being out in society, I can probably even guess what news source people are watching based on a lot of their opinions

One thing that's clear, watching parks open, they can't win or lose when it comes to the mask policy.

Again, I don't have any issue with the mask policy at Dollywood, although I really don't care for it. My issue is them, even today on their site, says season passes are unlimited. But with the new reservation system, I'm now limited to two weekend visits a month. Being local, I go a lot.

Dollywood

1.) Needs to change their site and remove the unlimited portion from their pass advertisement temporarily and make it right with those who have already purchased a pass (they are kind of doing this but one big loophole, I'd pass was used for Christmas you are out of luck. If imagine the majority of passes were used already)

Or

2.) Extend the passes for all of 2021. They know what they are doing, why didn't they extend? Because most locals are now still required to buy a pass for this year and next. The June extension does not help us if we plan to visit as often as a lot of locals do

We purchased a few for gifts this Christmas but haven't purchased ours yet. We've had luck getting refunds on those that weren't used for Christmas but nothing offered for those only used once during the Christmas season. We even asked if we could just move those passes to next year. Dollywood is really treading on thin legal ground here.. I'm sure their TOS says somewhere that pass TOS can be changed at anytime, but it seems that credit card companies and even the local court systems are siding with the public on these issues when disputes happen. Essentially they've taken something touted as unlimited and put very strict limits on it.

I understand reservations! And if they say ticket buyers get first dibs on reservations ahead of pass members, I'd even be fine with that. Go one step further and give pass holders same priority for their first two reservations as ticket buyers and then give them lower priority and maybe they can only book their reservations 5 days out! This would still be unlimited opportunity as long as the park had space and would be no different than turning people away at the parking booth. During the week the park is dead but I can still only go three weekdays a month. Really??

Some people are attacking locals on Facebook asking how many times do we need to go! How many times do people here visit their local parks a month if live close? I promise you, Dollywood makes more money on me than most families of 5 who only vacation a week (unless they maybe stay at dreammore). We spend $50 each visit just on food. So I don't feel it has to do with anything financially on their end, just not thought out well

Finally, I also understand that everyone is in the same boat and everyone has had to make sacrifices. Not anyone has not been affected financially due to this. In my mind, that makes it even worse they aren't trying to help those out who buy an unlimited product with very strict limits, at least for now. These limits might not last long but who knows how long?

I feel very bad for anyone working in customer service right now. We lost our customer service lead at my job due to how people treat them, I feel bad for Dollywood's

I think the mask conversation should be filled with a lot of nuance, and understanding of multiple viewpoints, but alas, it rarely is.

Here's the thing...

It's private property. Dive bars can mandate that you don't wear a hat (been to a few of those, lol), bowling areas can mandate that you have to wear bowling shoes, restaurants can mandate a formal dress code, 7-11 can mandate that you wear a shirt and shoes.

That's all that I care about. It's their property and those are the rules so I will respect them. Any discussion of masks as they pertain to Dollywood beyond that is irrelevant because it's their private property.

One thing that's clear, watching parks open, they can't win or lose when it comes to the mask policy.

They can and they are because mandating masks is probably part of the reason that many of them are allowed to open and smarter from a liability perspective. Since Dollywood has to severely limit capacity anyway right now to a finite number that they'll probably hit every day whenever someone goes on Facebook and rants about how they're not coming if they have to wear a mask, the park has no reason whatsoever to care.

Edited by coasterbill

I think the mask conversation should be filled with a lot of nuance, and understanding of multiple viewpoints, but alas, it rarely is.

Here's the thing...

It's private property. Dive bars can mandate that you don't wear a hat (been to a few of those, lol), bowling areas can mandate that you have to wear bowling shoes, restaurants can mandate a formal dress code, 7-11 can mandate that you wear a shirt and shoes.

That's all that I care about. It's their property and those are the rules so I will respect them. Any discussion of masks as they pertain to Dollywood beyond that is irrelevant because it's their private property.

LOL what type of masks are people wearing that they can't breathe in?

We've been on lockdown in Philly since March 17th, every single time I have left my house since then I have worn a mask - outdoors, in the grocery store, in pharmacies, in the beer distributor, at the bottle shop, and do not take it off until I am home. It's been hot here recently, I am still wearing a mask every single time I go out. I am still alive, I have not fainted, no heatstroke, everything is just fine. All of my friends and family have also been doing this, and guess what? No fainting, no heatstroke, they're all still alive and breathing.

Medical professionals have been wearing masks all day for decades and they're just fine. Entitled people will come up with any excuse possible to not do something, and this argument is downright laughable.

Which I agree with. And why I'm not saying they are wrong, just that I won't be going as long as that requirement is in place.

Much like I wouldn't go to a restaurant with a dress code if I didn't meet it (or want to meet it) and not take to FB complaining about said dress code.

I simply stated I wouldn't go and why.

Plenty won't go places due to policies at them. But this instance brings a lot of vitriol from both sides instead of just "I don't like this policy so won't go" and "that's your choice"

dstephe9, what about the extended validity and proration for 2021?

Does that not help make up for the current limited use?

I agree it's all around a bad situation but DW is offering more than many (most?). SF hasn't offered an extension on my pass or a discount on next season (not to my knowledge any way).

Six Flags has been offering membership pauses for months. Check your pass portal.
A membership is not a season pass.

While I never saw an announcement nor received an email there is something in the FAQ now.

Basically the same as DW, extended for the number of days closed and promised renewal special.

We've been on lockdown in Philly since March 17th, every single time I have left my house since then I have worn a mask - outdoors, in the grocery store, in pharmacies, in the beer distributor, at the bottle shop, and do not take it off until I am home. It's been hot here recently, I am still wearing a mask every single time I go out. I am still alive, I have not fainted, no heatstroke, everything is just fine. All of my friends and family have also been doing this, and guess what? No fainting, no heatstroke, they're all still alive and breathing.

Medical professionals have been wearing masks all day for decades and they're just fine. Entitled people will come up with any excuse possible to not do something, and this argument is downright laughable.

I have to wear one for about 9 hours straight in Korea as a teacher and it's been 30C here. We have air-con but it's a central unit that goes to lots of classrooms and the education office asked we have windows open as well. Not sure that'll have any effect but we got to follow the rules so it's really hot in the classrooms yet I've had no problems breathing and I sweat easily but it's been easily manageable and I have to wear a big filter mask, as a teacher, we can't really use cloth or paper surgical ones.

They are offering a bring a buddy valid anytime throughout the summer. I wonder, though, when I renewed, I received two bring a buddy tickets. Wonder if I just get the one now or if this bonus one is in addition to those two?

The the email I got yesterday says they are adding a BAF and it and the earlier BAF tickets are now valid Jun 20 - Aug 2.

The one dated Aug 24 - Sep 20 doesn't change.

So it's not clear what the second point means.

I get 2 days on weekends (so a Fri and Sat or 2 Fridays and such).

and no more than 3 days in a row (but can't be Fri, Sat, and Sun per #1).

But what are "Low Capacity" days? And is "Almost Full" based on when the reservation is being made or some other measure?

So today I could reserve Mon-Wed for 2 different weeks but if any are flagged with those tags then they count against the 3 for the month?

And while today a given day may not be "Almost Full" and wouldn't count against the 3, tomorrow it could be and thus count?

I have no problems wearing a mask to go out and do essential things but I really don't enjoy the heat much so wearing one all day at an amusement park during the summer isn't worth it to me. Especially if it includes spending more money to travel to these places. The last time I was at Dollywood in August it was so hot and I definitely wouldn't want to be there in a mask.

I don't think I'm being entitled by not wanting to spend my money or time on an experience I know I won't enjoy. The entitled ones are the ones who will still go to the parks and then bitch and moan about the masks to customer service or even try get by the system to be excused from wearing a mask at a park even though they can wear one.

But what are "Low Capacity" days? And is "Almost Full" based on when the reservation is being made or some other measure?

So today I could reserve Mon-Wed for 2 different weeks but if any are flagged with those tags then they count against the 3 for the month?

And while today a given day may not be "Almost Full" and wouldn't count against the 3, tomorrow it could be and thus count?

My sister in law, who we purchased tickets for, could only book 3 total weekdays a month and two total weekend days. After she hit those totals nothing else would accept for that month

I believe they worded it as low capacity and almost full days to cover a wide spectrum, but should just say weekdays.

Are you saying it let you book more than 3 weekdays in one month? Maybe it glitched out or they are working on something else as a solution. Did you book season pass holders day? Maybe those days don't count on the total? Maybe the days my sister and law booked all had those tags. Maybe low capacity days are those where they only have a very low number of slots due to staffing? While almost full days are those that fill up. In my opinion if they end up doing this I MIGHT be alright with it. I understand a weekday in September is probably a low capacity day, staffing is ultra low, however, I don't know how I feel about a day like that counting towards my total. If anything, the park is already generally dead then, those should be days that don't count.

Idk, they need more clarification. Maybe list the days so folks know ahead of time, similar to a Disney blackout day

Edited by dstephe9

It looks like the 15th is already almost completely booked. I have a reservation for the 16th but might move it to the week after if it looks like it'll be full as well. Can anyone see what the reservation page says for the 16th? It won't let me see it since I have a reservation for that day.

My sister in law, who we purchased tickets for, could only book 3 total weekdays a month and two total weekend days. After she hit those totals nothing else would accept for that month

I believe they worded it as low capacity and almost full days to cover a wide spectrum, but should just say weekdays.

Are you saying it let you book more than 3 weekdays in one month? Maybe it glitched out or they are working on something else as a solution. Did you book season pass holders day? Maybe those days don't count on the total? Maybe the days my sister and law booked all had those tags. Maybe low capacity days are those where they only have a very low number of slots due to staffing? While almost full days are those that fill up. In my opinion if they end up doing this I MIGHT be alright with it. I understand a weekday in September is probably a low capacity day, staffing is ultra low, however, I don't know how I feel about a day like that counting towards my total. If anything, the park is already generally dead then, those should be days that don't count.

Idk, they need more clarification. Maybe list the days so folks know ahead of time, similar to a Disney blackout day

Also another thought or solution

Evening guest not counting towards the total visits for the month. A lot of locals just visited during the evening. If the park has no shows, if the park tracks when people leave, if there is space it should allow on demand reservations that doesn't count even if it's a Saturday or Sunday. (I know you can book the day of, but it still counts)

Example I get off work, wife and I want to go and walk and eat, if the park has capacity I can reserve and it doesn't count a booking. This is where the parks making money on food purchases anyway.

When this counts towards my total, that's the whole reason I do not like this system and the majority of our visits are UNDER 3 hours. That would be a waste