TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The island is a very good choice. It's constantly on the top Amusement Parks list that trip advisor sends out. It's free to enter, pay to ride, and full of shops and restaurants.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

What would be a good thing to do on Friday night

Goats on the Roof's mountain coaster is pitch black at night while Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster has rainbow lights along the course. Both experiences are great. My personal favorite mountain coaster in the area is the one at Anakeesta, but I think Anakeesta closes a bit earlier and it is a time commitment to ride up and down the mountain to access the coaster.

Another attraction I strongly recommend is Mysterious Mansion. If you're a fan of haunts, this is a very impressive attraction.

Moonshine tastings.

Alpine coasters.

Just get a good meal and relax.

I tend to avoid chains. I really like the Alamo Steakhouse. The Peddler too.

Parton's Deli is worth a stop, but close pretty early (5pm).

Luigi's Pizza was good. Haven't tried Geno's, Slice or Best yet.

I was on Gatekeeper, Valravn and Banshee in the beginning of the year and absolutely HATED the vests on all 3 of those coasters.

I did Dollywood on Nov 2nd and LOVED the vests on Wild Eagle, they weren't tight on me. I've never ridden it before so I can't say if they're changed or not, but there definitely was a major difference.

For me, Wild Eagle’s vest restraint suffocated me more than all the others. Valravn would cone in second. I did not have too much of a problem with Gatekeeper last time or Banshee when it opened. I am somewhat of a tall, thin, individual. I hope it is true that they adjusted the restraints as they simply ruin the ride for me.

I didn't notice any difference last night but it was dark and I had a large jacket on so hard to feel the difference. Also, they've never bothered me.

Most of the evening was 1 train ops so also possible they only changed out on one train

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Rode Wild Eagle tonight and didn't notice the vest tightening like it had in the past. After we got back to the station, I asked the ride op and he confirmed that they have modified the mechanics of the restraints so that they no longer tighten during the ride. So, same restraints but whatever mechanism that caused the red vest to tighten has been adjusted.

"Christmas at Dollywood" was... okay. I've never really been into the Hallmark Christmas movies, and it was just as sappy and predictable as all the rest. The best part of the movie, imho, was near the end when Dolly sat with Danica's character and gave her advice; I LOVED Dolly's reverse-sequins outfit.

Also, I was just... disappointed by the lack of park in the movie. Like, if you're gonna set a movie in a theme park with that park's name in the title.... don't just show us the front and one other location. I wanna SEE the rides and the eagle sanctuary and everything else. USE the location!!!

OK has thunderhead got more rough because I rode front row on Saturday it was still good but really rough it just may be the front seat
I got 3 rides recently and I thought it was fantastic. This is an underrated coaster in my opinion. Yes it's a little rough but not really any more than most woodies. Just an out of control ride experience and super fun!

^^^ ^ I rode Thunderhead with my son twice last weekend, and no... it's pretty damn rough and tough to enjoy. Very rattly, very shaky, very headache inducing. Not just my opinion, either. My kid wants nothing to do with the ride at all anymore. He was telling anyone who'd listen that he wants it to be torn down or RMCed.

To echo that, I usually have a soft spot for Thunderhead. After the first drop and turnaround that were worked on, the ride becomes miserable. I would hope someone at Dollywood rode it this year and they take some action, because it is not in a good place right now.

To echo that, I usually have a soft spot for Thunderhead. After the first drop and turnaround that were worked on, the ride becomes miserable. I would hope someone at Dollywood rode it this year and they take some action, because it is not in a good place right now.

Well they are already reworking it.

They said they couldn't do it all at once so maybe wait and see what they do next.

^^^ ^ I rode Thunderhead with my son twice last weekend, and no... it's pretty damn rough and tough to enjoy. Very rattly, very shaky, very headache inducing. Not just my opinion, either. My kid wants nothing to do with the ride at all anymore. He was telling anyone who'd listen that he wants it to be torn down or RMCed.

My daughter (and me) disagrees completely,

she loves it as is. Thanksgiving it was hauling too. Certainly felt faster than at Halloween (or any prior rides over the last 7 yrs).

I'd really hate to loose it and RMC would change the character at lot.

Maybe you should ride a few of the really rough woodies still, around. Thunderhead ain't one of them.

My daughter (and me) disagrees completely,

she loves it as is. Thanksgiving it was hauling too. Certainly felt faster than at Halloween (or any prior rides over the last 7 yrs).

I'd really hate to loose it and RMC would change the character at lot.

Maybe you should ride a few of the really rough woodies still, around. Thunderhead ain't one of them.

I mean, the reason I am saying what I am saying is because I have been on it every year for the last four or so years and it is absolutely significantly worse this year than years past. I am a Thunderhead fanboy. My girlfriend has never been keen on it but she would never avoid it. We actively avoided it after our one obligatory ride.

Are there many, many rougher woodies out there? Absolutely. That's not really the point, though.