TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I'm curious if Dollywood might put a large raft ride somewhere like Silver Dollar City. They really need more water rides.

They have rampage which SDC is replacing. Not another ride.

I think Dollywood will need to do something at Splash to keep me coming there

More rides so the lines are shorter.

Too much waiting so we haven't been going or getting passes for Splash.

PM me a link to the other thread,

Same, except I do ride FCE often when lines low. I enjoy it

Also, nothing anyone is really talking about in this thread (there is a different thread opened for it) is the new waterpark coming to town. On paper, it looks to be on Splash Country level, if not higher quality. (I know that's just on paper). With it being closer to Knoxville, it's liable to get all my waterpark traffic (as well as other folks in Knoxville) and my wife and I visit splash a lot. I think Dollywood will need to do something at Splash to keep me coming there

Yes i was wondering about the new water park coming also and how it will affect Splash Country. I couldn't find a Splash Country thread sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

Yes i was wondering about the new water park coming also and how it will affect Splash Country. I couldn't find a Splash Country thread sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

We typically talk about companion water parks in the main parks thread, so you're good. (Dorney Park + Wildwater Kingdom, Dollywood + Splash Country, Busch Gardens Williamsburg + Water Country USA, etc)

I have a feeling the next big coaster will be something like a B&M hyper (or maybe even Mack). With the frustrations of Lightning Rod I can see them wanting to go with a manufacturer well known for quality. A B&M hyper following the terrain of the mountains could be amazing.

^I agree. I know every park these days has one but from the park's perspective it's the perfect coaster...reliable, people eater and the GP will love it.

I also agree that B&M might be able to do something creative with the terrain there and hopefully a little more out of the box, although it is B&M so I'm not getting my hopes up. If it is a B&M I hope they stay with the traditional 4 across seating instead of the staggered rows. It seems the trend has been to move away from the staggered seating lately with Mako and Candymonium both getting the traditional trains. To me the coasters that have this arrangement are better.

^Maybe I'm influenced too much by Intimidator since it's in my home park and I ride it the most but it just seems so slow to me compared to the others. That long train just seems to labor around the track. I will say I've also ridden Behemoth and I don't get that feeling as much so maybe it is just Intimidator.

Question for the locals. Would you all be willing to contribute to a thread dedicated to all of the attractions outside of Dollywood in the area? My kids are at the right age to start doing all of these crazy attractions that are popping up left and right so I am going to start posting trip reports to the ones we go to. My thought was to take the Soaky Mountain thread I created and modify it to include other attractions.

I know we get questions in this thread all the time about what to do in the area when members visit Dollywood, so a universal thread would seem to be warranted. I really can't think of many other areas in the United States outside of Florida and California that is about to have (or is having) the level of development in the attraction industry that this area is moving towards.

^I agree. I know every park these days has one but from the park's perspective it's the perfect coaster...reliable, people eater and the GP will love it.

I also agree that B&M might be able to do something creative with the terrain there and hopefully a little more out of the box, although it is B&M so I'm not getting my hopes up. If it is a B&M I hope they stay with the traditional 4 across seating instead of the staggered rows. It seems the trend has been to move away from the staggered seating lately with Mako and Candymonium both getting the traditional trains. To me the coasters that have this arrangement are better.

That's the biggest argument I see from the enthusiast crowd. Most enthusiast news sites are saying Dollywood shouldn't get a hyper or giga due to Carowinds and SFOG already having similar but from the GP standpoint, that's the reason to get one! I remember growing up, going on a business trip with my dad, he gave us a brochure to Kings Island (Paramount Days) or Cedar Point. We were actually closer to Kings Island but picked Cedar Point due to the coasters in the brochure

I'm sure people are still like that and when they see the tall hypers and gigas at Carowinds, might skip Dollywood for one of those "giant" coasters

Heck, most folks don't even talk about Kings Island as a competitor to Dollywood, but they are also a big competitor. I can get to Kings Island almost as quick as Carowinds, and they also have a hyper so it wouldn't hurt Dollywood at all to get one. Dollywood can still out their unique twist on it and make it "record breaking" or "a first" somehow

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I'm convinced that a significant amount of people are skipping Dollywood due to a lack of larger roller coasters, nor am I convinced that Kings Island is as much of a competitor as you're making them out to be. Carowinds and Six Flags Over Georgia, perhaps.

Dollywood is just in a different segment. They're a full-on theme park, with a four-star resort and spa, and a dedicated water park, in a picturesque tourist destination. I'd air that there are just as many people interested in Dollywood's shows, food, exhibits, and atmosphere as there are interested in the thrill rides. I could see a family of six (two parents, two children, one set of grandparents) going to DreamMore for several days to experience everything that Dollywood has to offer, but only three people of that same family (two parents and perhaps an older sibling) may get the same fulfillment out of a coaster park like Carowinds or Six Flags Over Georgia.

I distinctly remember going to Williamsburg, Virginia with family every year when I was younger and my younger sibling was a toddler. We would always go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg over Kings Dominion because there was always more for our entire family to do at Busch Gardens.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that a significant amount of people are skipping Dollywood due to a lack of larger roller coasters, nor am I convinced that Kings Island is as much of a competitor as you're making them out to be. Carowinds and Six Flags Over Georgia, perhaps.

Dollywood is just in a different segment. They're a full-on theme park, with a four-star resort and spa, and a dedicated water park, in a picturesque tourist destination. I'd air that there are just as many people interested in Dollywood's shows, food, exhibits, and atmosphere as there are interested in the thrill rides. I could see a family of six (two parents, two children, one set of grandparents) going to DreamMore for several days to experience everything that Dollywood has to offer, but only three people of that same family (two parents and perhaps an older sibling) may get the same fulfillment out of a coaster park like Carowinds or Six Flags Over Georgia.

I distinctly remember going to Williamsburg, Virginia with family every year when I was younger and my younger sibling was a toddler. We would always go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg over Kings Dominion because there was always more for our entire family to do at Busch Gardens.

Totally agree. I don’t see DW adding a hyper just to compete. I actually HOPE they don’t add one just to compete. I feel like right now, with the last few additions they have a well rounded, well spread out coaster assortment. There are big thrills, medium hills and family coasters spread fairly evenly. I think the last thing they need to add would be a “family thrill” to replace skidewinder, but I think they really could be done with “thrill” after that and start developing more proprietary content to use the Wildwood grove characters or other IP to populate more dark rides and even shows that pull those characters in fir a more wholistic experience.

I agree with Megan and AJ. I haven't got to go in several years but I"m almost 50 and the thrill rides aren't as big a draw for me. I remember I was excited when Wild Eagle came out and went to ride it and WOW to me it was a thrill lol. I was a little sad though that it stuck up out of the park. I always liked that Dollywood is hidden in the foothills and that you don't seeing anything until you get in. I wonder if SDC is still like that since Outlaw Run and Time Traveler? I need to visit both again, I'm hoping for next year.

When I have gone to Dollywood I see as many or more older people headed to shows as I do younger folks running to coasters. I haven't been since Lightning Rod was added and I am not even sure I could get my nerve up to ride it! I have ridden Intimidator at Carowinds and Raging Bull at Six Flags Great America so maybe I could get my nerve up. Nowadays Mystery Mine, Tennessee Tornado, and Fire Chaser are more my speed. If they do get a huge coaster I hope it is tucked away and not sticking out of the park. I would prefer a fancy dark ride themed to the mountains personally but heck I'll be glad for whatever we get. I love those spinning coasters or wild mouse coasters and think one would go over great at Dollywood as a cheaper, milder, fill in ride to get the coaster count up.

I really like the Herschend style and look forward to what the future brings. I have to say I want to ride Time Traveler and SDC's new ride for next year the most. Both are so appealing. I think they did an awesome job on Wildwood Grove and want to ride Dragonflier when I get to the park. From all the youtube videos I've seen the new area will just blend in more with the rest of the park when the trees grow. I know it takes time. It will happen and be even more beautiful than ever as the years progress. I just wonder if there will be any announcement of any kind for 2020? Sorry if this was a bit of a choppy post I was at work and trying to hurry but also make some sense.

You got to always add "Thrill" or major e-ticket (large dark ride, large water ride, and so on) rides to stay competitive. Maybe not every year but every 5 - 8 years. If you don't, you grow stagnant with all the other parks adding thrill. Dollywood has said multiple times their attendance goes way up years the add thrill and then declines. Not sure what their attendance is like this year, but last year they reported pretty poor attendance numbers compared to recent years. On days I have visited this year, their attendance still seems down (although splash has been busting at the seams!)

Dollywood does pull a good crowd but it's a very diverse crowd. That's why, on a busy day in the middle of summer, you can find the majority of their rides being walk-ons. A lot of the guest aren't there for rides and no, that's not a bad thing, but there is huge opportunity for growth there.

As to Kings Island, why wouldn't they be a competitor? They reach over 3 million guest a year with a shorter season than Dollywood. Dollywood reaches right under 3 million. I guarantee they want to pull some of those guest 4 hours south to visit Dollywood!

And not to mention, Dollywood is competing with the area. Their attendance is dropping but the areas attendance is going up. They've got to do stuff to pull folks in that are visiting the mountains and Pigeon Forge, but not coming to Dollywood. The island is rated higher on trip advisor in surveys when it comes to amusment parks and it's not even a true amusment park haha

Plenty of Dollywood billboards this year in Cincinnati. They spend some good money there for sure. They also have a bunch in Atlanta.

My guess is Time Traveler or a B&M will be announced mid summer to open 2021.

Edited by tndank

I was just looking at the 2018 AECOM and TEA Theme Index and Museum Index Report (https://www.aecom.com/theme-index/) and I keep rooting for Dollywood to break the top 20 in North America. Dollywood's Splash Country is in the top 20 water parks so with the added competition coming I bet they will do some additions. I do suppose you are correct about having to add thrills to grow. I think Dollywood has entertainment down great. I personally would like a high quality large Dark Ride or even Indoor Coaster before a Hyper coaster. As mentioned in other posts the differing options were on that survey. It will be fun to see what happens. SDC sure is doing an impressive 27 million dollar investment with Mystic Timber Falls and Dollywood did their impressive 37 million dollar investment so we can see they are definitely trying!!! Don't they usually take turns doing big investments between SDC and Dollywood? I agree with all the stuff coming to Pigeon Forge Dollywood will have to keep up the great work to compete with the outside the park competition!

^ I think Shambhala is the best of their hypers and it has the staggered seating. The pull on those giant drops with a train that long is spectacular.

I think that if Dollywood were to get a B&M hyper, the staggered seating would be the way to go as well . It leaves every rider with a feeling of openness. The terrain this coaster would inhabit, that would be a big plus in my opinion. I personally think Apollo´s would have benifited with those trains for the same reason. (still love it though)

Some nuggets to chew on:

Pigeon Forge zoning ordinance 709.9 restricts amusement rides to 200ft. Drop Line is said to be 230, but it was originally marketed as 200. To go as high as some of you are hoping would require a major change to be voted through.

The mayor of Pigeon Forge is VP of Operations at The Island...

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ll let y’all read between those lines.

I'm almost positive we dug into the zoning a few years back and found that most of that was for the strip. Dollywood is off the strip. They didn't have any issues with drop line.

Some nuggets to chew on:

Pigeon Forge zoning ordinance 709.9 restricts amusement rides to 200ft. Drop Line is said to be 230, but it was originally marketed as 200. To go as high as some of you are hoping would require a major change to be voted through.

The mayor of Pigeon Forge is VP of Operations at The Island...

Not saying it won’t happen, but I’ll let y’all read between those lines.

^Either way I think they could get away with a Hyper Terrain Coaster in a similar layout to

aaeqlye

Wild Eagle's lift hill and Lightning Rod's launch hill are both placed on steep hillsides and I think this is how the park would approach this issue as a workaround as the ride wouldn't technically be 200 feet above the actual ground it was placed on. Its also how SDC's Wildfire feels more imposing and intimidating on that first drop as the coaster was literally placed on the top of a hillside, making the drop larger than its actual height. You can see for miles up there on top of its lift hill.

Question for the locals. Would you all be willing to contribute to a thread dedicated to all of the attractions outside of Dollywood in the area? My kids are at the right age to start doing all of these crazy attractions that are popping up left and right so I am going to start posting trip reports to the ones we go to. My thought was to take the Soaky Mountain thread I created and modify it to include other attractions.

I know we get questions in this thread all the time about what to do in the area when members visit Dollywood, so a universal thread would seem to be warranted. I really can't think of many other areas in the United States outside of Florida and California that is about to have (or is having) the level of development in the attraction industry that this area is moving towards.

I would be all about such a thread! Tons of cool stuff to do and it would be easier to access if it were separate.